My Greyhounds Were Attacked Today :(

HazyWal

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be writing to my local paper with the pics of the injuries.

I think the ranger is just being lazy.

It seems they have powers but choose when to use them, often in the wrong place. :(

They do have to act within their powers though. In this case it means applying to court to get the dangerous dog application approved. The rangers can't just say a dog is a dangerous dog and that is it.

In NSW you don't have to apply to the courts to get a DD application approved - rangers CAN just declare a dog dangerous. But they have to ensure they have the evidence of the incident as the owner can appeal the declaration in court if they want to. Can't appeal menacing.

Why is Hazywal saying that the ranger said a judge has to look at the declaration then?

The Ranger is talking about if the owner appeals the declaration in court.

That is not what Hazywal appears to be saying. She said:

Ranger finally called me back

She said the Dangerous Dog Dec will take up to a month to be processed and said when the judge looks at it he will say it was too harsh, there have been no previous complaints about the dogs and after all it's not a child :(

This is exactly what the ranger has told me, several times now. She also told me that she feels she's put the fear of God into her...I doubt it if she hasn't even bothered to put a padlock on the gate a week after the attack. I get the feeling, and this is JMO, that because the woman was sobbing and saying she has no money, no job and rents the ranger seems to be feeling sorry for her. If the ranger knew the DD wouldn't stick why didn't she at least go for menacing?

I imagine the Ranger told HazyWal that the application had to go Court.

There's something going on with this Ranger. What possible reason, considering the vicious attack, could the Ranger have for not declaring the dogs as menacing?

It appears even though the owner of the dogs has not even carried out the instructions to put a lock on the gate, the Ranger is doing absolutely nothing about it. Why...is the question.

I would be going onwards and upwards at the Council HazyWal. Can you speak to the Ranger's superior officer? She must be accountable to someone. Maybe her superior can explain why this Ranger is failing to take action.

By do nothing the Ranger is placing other dogs and their owners in danger if they walk along the street where these dogs live.

I think it's a reasonable question to ask someone in authority at the Council why these dogs are not being declared as menacing. That seems to be a less challenging effort by the Ranger than declaring them as dangerous.

The dog owner must also pay all vet bills and Hazywal's medical bills but for this, legal action may need to be taken. However that's a separate issue and she did show her intention to do so by paying the first vet bill

I would be writing to my local paper with the pics of the injuries.

I think the ranger is just being lazy.

It seems they have powers but choose when to use them, often in the wrong place. :(

They do have to act within their powers though. In this case it means applying to court to get the dangerous dog application approved. The rangers can't just say a dog is a dangerous dog and that is it.

In NSW you don't have to apply to the courts to get a DD application approved - rangers CAN just declare a dog dangerous. But they have to ensure they have the evidence of the incident as the owner can appeal the declaration in court if they want to. Can't appeal menacing.

Why is Hazywal saying that the ranger said a judge has to look at the declaration then?

The Ranger is talking about if the owner appeals the declaration in court.

That is not what Hazywal appears to be saying. She said:

Ranger finally called me back

She said the Dangerous Dog Dec will take up to a month to be processed and said when the judge looks at it he will say it was too harsh, there have been no previous complaints about the dogs and after all it's not a child :(

The month timeframe could be referring to the fact that an owner has 28 days following a declaration to lodge an appeal.

Or the Ranger is not expressing herself properly, or HazyWal got the wrong end of the stick. The legislation is what it is. In NSW we do not have to apply to the courts for a Dangerous Dog declaration, the Council can declare following issuing a Notice on Intention a week prior. I've already linked the legislation in this thread.

Edited by melzawelza

I would be asking her to send you everything in writing if I was you. That way you have proof if she is just fobbing you off or not. Send an email and Cc it to both the general manager and your local member.

I am sorry about your greys, they are absolutely beautiful and funny animals and I always enjoy your Stanley stories.

I definately don't have the wrong end of the stick, she has told me the same thing several times now.

No idea what she's talking about then. She's talking like the fact that it will go to court is a done deal. It will only go to court if the owner lodges an appeal within 28 days. Regardless, she hasn't told you that they don't have enough evidence that the attack occurred, only that she thinks a judge would think a declaration is 'too harsh' because it wasn't a baby (she should talk to all the other Councils that have declared following attacks on other dogs that have stood up on appeal).

Do you have an email address for the ranger? I would be asking for the reasons in writing, it may scare her into doing something because she will think you are getting advice.

If not ring council and ask for the name of the head of that dept. and email them with pics.

I just want to say how sorry I am for all you are going through, as if the attack and injuries weren't bad enough, now you've got all this added stress to cope with.

Sending healing thoughts to you and Maddie and the gorgeous Stan. :grouphug:

Dangerous dogs

A dog is “dangerous” if it has, without provocation, attacked

or killed a person or animal, or, repeatedly threatened to attack

or repeatedly chased a person or animal.

“Dangerous dogs” in NSW are dogs that are the subject of a

declaration under the Act by a council or a court that the dog

is considered dangerous.

Council must have given notice to the owner of a dog of the

council’s intention to declare the dog to be dangerous.

What's so hard about it??? confused.gif

Dangerous dogs

A dog is “dangerous” if it has, without provocation, attacked

or killed a person or animal, or, repeatedly threatened to attack

or repeatedly chased a person or animal.

“Dangerous dogs” in NSW are dogs that are the subject of a

declaration under the Act by a council or a court that the dog

is considered dangerous.

Council must have given notice to the owner of a dog of the

council’s intention to declare the dog to be dangerous.

What's so hard about it??? confused.gif

Yes that's what I thought Rozzie :(

I could maybe understand GCC's reluctance to declare if the dogs had (as above) repeatedly threatened to attack or repeatedly chased us and maybe slapped them with a lesser charge but the fact this was an unprovoked attack causing injury to all three of us it's a joke. Especially when after 6 days the gate still wasn't secured. The $1100 fine won't be a deterent, she told the ranger she has no money and is unemployed so the ranger told her to contact state debt recovery and organise a payment plan. She'll probably pay it off at 10 bucks a fortnight happy days :mad

That ^^^^^^^^ is from GCC website! so they obviously know about it.....

Id be emailing their own info over to them and asking what the issue is. It clearly states what these dogs did is enough to declare them. Not that you should even have to, but it sounds as though this ranger either has some kind of vested interest, or she's an idiot.

Guest hankodie

I was going to suggest that you leave something on their facebook page to maybe attract some community support on the matter but half of the reviews on there are about dangerous dogs and how incompetent the council is in taking any action. Unbelievable :(

I was going to suggest that you leave something on their facebook page to maybe attract some community support on the matter but half of the reviews on there are about dangerous dogs and how incompetent the council is in taking any action. Unbelievable :(

Yep that poor lady at Yattalunga, for those with FB you can read the reviews of good old Gossie Council :mad

https://www.facebook.com/ilikemygosford

Yep that poor lady at Yattalunga, for those with FB you can read the reviews of good old Gossie Council :mad

https://www.facebook.../ilikemygosford

:( there are another couple about rangers etc not doing enough. makes life hard .

https://www.facebook.../ilikemygosford

:( there are another couple about rangers etc not doing enough. makes life hard .

Oh yeah Perse there's many complaints, I just knew about the poor lady at Saratoga :cry: The dogs were returned as their family was missing them WTF?? GCC's one and only reply was pathetic.

Edited by HazyWal