My Greyhounds Were Attacked Today :(

HazyWal

All I see are burst watermains, ads for community events and pound dogs... where's the real stuff??

You have to look under posts by others/reviews on the page rather than the main newsfeed for the page which contains posts only made by GCC.

Edited by Terri S.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair re: that one with the Fox Terrier, according to the Council's post the owners fences blew down in a storm and the owners were out looking for them when the incident happened. Pretty unforseen circumstances. Very different to the irresponsibility of your attackers owners HazyWal. Three months after I bought my house my solid weldmesh fence came down in the strong winds we had here in Sydney - it was rusted under the actual dirt so I couldn't see and one of the posts snapped clean off. Luckily my neighbour found my dog hovering in their driveway all freaked out and took her inside.

Council also said they had issued an NOI to the owner, the dogs have possibly been declared since. Seems people are upset because they didn't destroy the dogs but Council doesn't have the powers to destroy dogs unless the owners surrender - only a magistrate does. According to Council the owners have immediately secured the dogs following the incident which I would assume to be something like a dog run or the like.

Seems to be very different to your situation and possibly the sort of scenario that I was talking about previously - the incident occurring as a genuine freak accident and the owners immediately taking action to ensure it can't happen again.

Absolutely AWFUL and unacceptable that someone's dog died but no sense in three dead dogs if you can ensure it can't happen again.

Melz if you read through the comments people knew about these dogs, the only way I can see that GCC can weasel their way out of this one is that although they were well known as being aggressive no one had bothered to report them before :( The owners were desperately driving around looking for them and were heard to say "they will kill another dog"...another? These people should have surrendered these dogs for euth but should've, would've , could've doesn't matter really.

Saratoga is a small community and is only accessed by one road, it's surrounded by water. Yattalunga, Saratoga and Davistown are the only three suburbs on this "island". I lived at Davo for a short while and it is very small and close knit. Not only did the little dog die but people were taken to hospital with injuries incurred from trying to help. Even then GCC obviously thought a Dangerous Dog Order was a bit over the top or maybe a little too hard?? A Menacing order hardly cuts it IMO :mad

Edited by HazyWal

Melz if you read through the comments people knew about these dogs, the only way I can see that GCC can weasel their way out of this one is that although they were well known as being aggressive no one had bothered to report them before :( The owners were desperately driving around looking for them and were heard to say "they will kill another dog"...another? These people should have surrendered these dogs for euth but should've, would've , could've doesn't matter really.

I read though, I didn't see any comments saying they'd been out roaming before?

If the fence genuinely blew down in a storm and the owners were desperately looking for their dogs because they knew they had the potential to do damage, that doesn't sound like blase irresponsible ownership. That sounds like someone with dogs who have issues with other dogs (like many many people on this forum) that kept them in what they thought was a secure yard and then a freak accident happened in bad weather.

I'm not so sure I'd be surrendering my dogs in that situation. I'd be devastated they had caused such horror and would be paying all vet bills and building secure dog runs etc whether I had an order on them or not... but I wouldn't surrender them if I knew that I could prevent it happening again.

Regardless of the actual situation, what I'm saying is the anger at the council in that case seems unwarranted. Everyone commenting is angry because the dogs were not euthanased... the Council couldn't euth them.

Not downplaying what is happening in your situation HazyWal because yours is very different to what this one seems to be based on what I've read on that fbook page, but every case is different and I don't think the anger on the Council with that one is warranted.

Edited by melzawelza

If the fence genuinely blew down in a storm and the owners were desperately looking for their dogs because they knew they had the potential to do damage, that doesn't sound like blase irresponsible ownership. That sounds like someone with dogs who have issues with other dogs (like many many people on this forum) that kept them in what they thought was a secure yard and then a freak accident happened in bad weather.

I'm not so sure I'd be surrendering my dogs in that situation. I'd be devastated they had caused such horror and would be paying all vet bills and building secure dog runs etc whether I had an order on them or not... but I wouldn't surrender them if I knew that I could prevent it happening again.

Regardless of the actual situation, what I'm saying is the anger at the council in that case seems unwarranted. Everyone commenting is angry because the dogs were not euthanased... the Council couldn't euth them.

Not downplaying what is happening in your situation HazyWal because yours is very different to what this one seems to be based on what I've read on that fbook page, but every case is different and I don't think the anger on the Council with that one is warranted.

Sorry I was editing my post as you replied to shed a little more light on the community, not that it matters.

Edited by HazyWal

Sorry I was editing my post as you replied to shed a little more light on the community, not that it matters.

Reading your edit: I do agree that Menacing isn't enough and is an odd choice. The legislation specifically states that it is for attacks 'without serious injury or death' so doesn't really cut it with this one. The legislation was relatively new a few months ago, maybe they got confused.

lets not get sidetracked with others. Lets start letter writing to the local papers.

Yes true I need to concentrate on my own fight.

Melz I wasn't having a go at you I really do appreciate your help on this, just frustration.

lets not get sidetracked with others. Lets start letter writing to the local papers.

Melz I wasn't having a go at you I really do appreciate your help on this, just frustration.

Oh I know! Nor am I having a go at you - and I totally understand your frustration, and given the non-action by the owners of your attackers I'd be really unhappy with the Council's response too. Just wanting to give another perspective on the one on their facebook page is all. I agree with others asking for responses in writing.

Put together something to the Council and email to the GM - then your response will come in writing and it will get some extra attention. If you want me to look over it PM me.

Edited by melzawelza

Oh I know! Nor am I having a go at you - and I totally understand your frustration, and given the non-action by the owners of your attackers I'd be really unhappy with the Council's response too. Just wanting to give another perspective on the one on their facebook page is all. I agree with others asking for responses in writing.

Put together something to the Council and email to the GM - then your response will come in writing and it will get some extra attention. If you want me to look over it PM me.

Oh I definitely know you're not having a go at me, you can only advise from what I tell you and even then only supply links to the legislation to help me. Monday I will start the process via email so that everything will be in writing, I have documented every minute of this nightmare from 3pm last Saturday afternoon when the attack took place. I have times, dates and names for every phone call and the same for the ranger's visits.

I can hear that you are well organised and determined about this HW :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I hope that you are able to achieve a more satisfactory outcome than has been indicated by council thus far - one that is more in keeping with community attitudes and the gravity of the attack that you and your dogs experienced. So glad there are people on DOL who can offer you advice and support. Best wishes

I think it's past time for emailing council people... time to get in touch with the media...

Email/call your local newspaper. Send an email with photos of Stan and Maddie's and your injuries to the Telegraph. Send same to A Current Affair...

The further afield the story goes, the more likely the council may step up to their responsibilities in THIS case.

You could also front up to the local Council offices with Stan and Maddie in tow and demand to talk to whoever is in charge of the Animal Control team. If they are confronted with the actuality of the issue at hand, they may see things differently - nothing like seeing the actual wounds on the actual dogs and owner with their own eyes to get through to them the actual horror of the situation you were in.

T.

Like many DOLers, I am thinking of you, Stan and Maddie heaps through the days and sincerely hope that you are all healing well.

I really do believe as I said much earlier in this thread that you should be going to your local media.

A couple of times over the years, I have written dog related letters to the editor of my local paper, Hornsby Advocate, which have resulted in going to print and also continued email chats with the editor.

If you relate the facts, express concern for other citizens and their dogs, express disappointment with lack of action by council, but do all of this calmly and factually, I am pretty certain you will get published.

I'm thinking not only of justice for you, but also the protection of other people and their dogs.

Thanks again everyone.

I emailed the General Manager of GCC this morning and received confirmation that it had been received. He is swanning around China at the moment with the Gosford Mayor so I don't know when I will get a reply. I don't know whether to wait to hear from him before I go to my local member and the local paper :/

T I think it would be pointless turning up at Council with the dogs as my old neighbour did similar a few weeks ago after ringing the ranger a squillion times about the barking, escaping large bullbreed dogs that live next to her. The ranger had been twice but nothing had been done by the owners so she turned up with her diary of events and videos of the dogs barking for hours on end and was told no one could see her, it all had to be done via email.

Edited by HazyWal

Sounds like time for the media and grab your neighbour as well - how sad that one can no longer see a "live" person when dealing with local council - many people do not use email - how are they to deal with such matters :mad :mad :mad Personally, I think such tactics are a methodused by council to decrease the volume of "problems' that they have to deal with :mad :mad

Edited by frufru