My Greyhounds Were Attacked Today :(

HazyWal

Finally received an email today from GCC, not from the GM whom I addressed it to but the Ranger co-ordinater. Didn't answer any of my questions just told me what the ranger already had. Still no reply from my local member.

I refer to your email of 14 April 2014 in regards to the recent attack on your 2 greyhounds on 5 April 2014.

The matter was referred to council Ranger Service for investigation and as a consequence the following actions were taken.

2 penalty notices, $550 each, were issued to the owner of the offending dogs in respect to the attack.

Notice of Intents to declare both the dog as dangerous were issued on 11 April 2014

The above actions are those that are provided for under the provisions of the Companion Animals Act.

The dog owner has advised that they will be lodging a representation outlining reasons why they consider their dogs should not be considered dangerous.

Council is compelled to consider the representation before making a decision as to whether the dangerous dog declarations will be issued.

Should Council decide to issue the declaration the dog owner still has the right to appeal the declarations in the local court.

Once the representation has been received, and considered, you will then be advised of the outcome as to whether the dogs will be declared dangerous.

Regards

Rod Giffin

Co Ordinator Ranger Services | Education & Compliance

Gosford City Council

(PO Box 21)

Gosford NSW 2250

P (02) 43258222

E [email protected]

Edited by HazyWal

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, they have stated that they have notified the owners of intent to declare the dogs dangerous so that is good news.

I would be asking how long the declaration takes and how far along in the process they are now

Hope you and your babies are doing ok

Actually, they have stated that they have notified the owners of intent to declare the dogs dangerous so that is good news.

I would be asking how long the declaration takes and how far along in the process they are now

Hope you and your babies are doing ok

Yes they have issued intent but I have been told by the ranger several times both in person and on the phone that the declaration will not stick as the dogs have no previous reports.

Surprised council would like two attacks before something is done. Wouldn't that make them liable or negligent when the next attack happens. Plus there probably has been another attack just not reported?

Surprised council would like two attacks before something is done. Wouldn't that make them liable or negligent when the next attack happens. Plus there probably has been another attack just not reported?

If you lived in Gosford Shire hankdog you would not be surprised, council here are a joke :( A friend told me today that she read GCC are in the top 5 of worst councils in NSW, I don't know if that's true but I believe it they are pathetic on all issues.

Everything is in the "too hard" basket for them :mad

Hmmm... what about your local State Member (Chris Holstein?)? Local government get really active when a "ministerial" comes down the line... *grin*

Seriously - go to your local member personally, armed with the photos and vet notes regarding the injuries to Stan and Maddie, and also photos and x-rays of your hand and foot. Let him/her know in no uncertain terms that you are being fobbed off by Council, and that next time it may not be an adult trying to fend off these particular dogs. You should see some action if the member formally asks Council WTF is going on with your case.

Show the bastards that you can play them at their own game...

T.

HazyWal I'm so sorry to hear about your two getting attacked, I wish them a speedy recovery and no ill effects from the stress of having been attacked while walked peacefully.

Hopefully the dangerous dog declaration will go through. If it does not and you are unhappy with the council response - and I already would be with the statement only one attack means no declaration - is there anyone you know you can get in touch with in the media, the local paper or a TV station? Might be worth drawing some attention to the issue.

This has been my experience. Except I was on the other end of what was obviously a fictitious report so I was glad that one complaint did not equal a DD declaration. Its a sad state of affairs though that the two such incidence can be in the same basket. In our report there were no injuries. While in this case there is such a terrible result. Hardly seems fair does it.

I would like to offer some glimmer of hope though that they might be able to reach a middle ground. Where they apply certain conditions on the dogs (like particular fencing, or being muzzled etc) without issuing a DD declaration. I hope this is the case for you and the rest of your community.

Hope you do get a satisfactory result.

I agree with going to your local member, but also to start dropping in the liability , as they are aware of the dogs, that may scare someone into action.

I agree with juice. The council obviously isn't going to act - unless they are scared into it.

This whole thing (I am going through something similar but nowhere nearly as bad with an RE company) just makes me so mad. Council workers are paid out of our taxes, yet few seem to have any concept of honouring their obligations to their community.

Sorry all been looking at new rental properties today.

I am going to the owners place on Saturday to see if she has my money for ongoing vet bills, don't like my chances so I will have to take civil action if she won't pay up. I will check out the front gate then.

tdierikx I still haven't had a reply from my email to the local member for Terrigal so yes Chris Holstien will be my next contact.

dogmad sorry I'm a bit dumb what is the DPI? :o