My Greyhounds Were Attacked Today :(

HazyWal

Good luck with it I know your frustration with councils, I have been complaining to Penrith Council about dogs off leads for years and I get told there's nothing they can do to police it, but they threatened me cause my 2 barked between 8-9am Mon - Fri as the kids going to school bashed on the fence walking down a council laneway. Also recently 2 guide dogs have been attacked in Penrith CBD causing pretty nasty injuries to the dogs but council will do nothing about it as its too hard.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with it I know your frustration with councils, I have been complaining to Penrith Council about dogs off leads for years and I get told there's nothing they can do to police it, but they threatened me cause my 2 barked between 8-9am Mon - Fri as the kids going to school bashed on the fence walking down a council laneway. Also recently 2 guide dogs have been attacked in Penrith CBD causing pretty nasty injuries to the dogs but council will do nothing about it as its too hard.

It's a bloody joke isn't it Dave? I bailed up a ranger recently down at the boat ramp (I didn't have my dogs with me because it's too dangerous with offlead dogs not keeping in the designated area) where there is a large offleash area plus our local Rugby oval, restaurants and picnic areas. Council had just put in some new signs where only cars with boat trailers can park and the ranger was there in a second booking cars without trailers. I pointed out to him the dogs running all over the oval despite the signs saying no dogs and also running all over the short stretch of beach again clearly signed. He mumbled something about how they do patrols regularly which is bullsh#t and I told him so. I also said "it's much easier to stick a ticket under a window isn't it?" He didn't answer me he just turned and got in his car :mad I can't speak for all council rangers but Gosford is beyond pathetic, I know this first hand!

Booked in for 11am Monday with the reporter and photos for the local paper :)

Oh good. I was driving through that car park in Turramurra where we met some time ago, so I was thinking of you and wondering where you were at with the media.

Hope he/she produces a storm raising article.

Perhaps you can use the recent attack and death of a greyhound to emphasise your concern. Good luck with it, I hope you get to put your point and experience across and they keep it accurate.

YES!

T.

The reporter that rang me today told me she is friends with a foster carer of greyhounds, I know of the girl she mentioned as she actually lives in my suburb as well and she said she thought of me as soon as she read the report about the greyhound killed in Sydney. She told me she knows first hand how beautiful greyhounds are and the damage that can be done from attacking dogs. We spoke for quite a while on the phone and when she asked me what I want to get across in the article I was adamant that it was not to be about muzzling laws, NOT about the greyhound racing industry and most definitely not about introducing more laws. We have laws in place and I want council to step up and implement them pure and simple. Whether she gets that right I guess I just have to hope.

Booked in for 11am Monday with the reporter and photos for the local paper :)

Oh good. I was driving through that car park in Turramurra where we met some time ago, so I was thinking of you and wondering where you were at with the media.

Hope he/she produces a storm raising article.

Thanks DD I often think of that park it's soooo pretty in that area, I would never have discovered it if I didn't get hopelessly lost looking for your house :laugh: damn you GPS for putting me on a bum steer!

It's a bloody joke isn't it Dave? I bailed up a ranger recently down at the boat ramp (I didn't have my dogs with me because it's too dangerous with offlead dogs not keeping in the designated area) where there is a large offleash area plus our local Rugby oval, restaurants and picnic areas. Council had just put in some new signs where only cars with boat trailers can park and the ranger was there in a second booking cars without trailers. I pointed out to him the dogs running all over the oval despite the signs saying no dogs and also running all over the short stretch of beach again clearly signed. He mumbled something about how they do patrols regularly which is bullsh#t and I told him so. I also said "it's much easier to stick a ticket under a window isn't it?" He didn't answer me he just turned and got in his car :mad I can't speak for all council rangers but Gosford is beyond pathetic, I know this first hand!

There as bad at Penrith as well, same thing on the Nepean river booking people for parking in a trailer only spot. Companion animal officers at Penrith are hard core if your dog barks for a hour in the morning but report dogs off leash and I get cannot do anything...

There as bad at Penrith as well, same thing on the Nepean river booking people for parking in a trailer only spot. Companion animal officers at Penrith are hard core if your dog barks for a hour in the morning but report dogs off leash and I get cannot do anything...

Yep as you say...too hard. I had an old dude spit at me one day, yep spit. I was in the same area before I gave it up as a bad joke and this guys little fluffy came zooming out of no where barking and snapping around my greyhounds legs. With greyhounds thin skin any breed of dog can do damage so I was yelling at him to get his bloody dog before I kicked it to the moon, which were my exact words. He stormed over and said "how dare you! if you touch my dog I will report you" I asked him to whom he was going to report me, my greyhounds are muzzled and onlead by law put the bloody thing on a lead NOW! Do you know what? He didn't even have a lead, he just let his dog out of his car and let it go. When he told me that I called him an irresponsible ar#ehole so he spat at me...nice.

I had a reported do a flip on a story I organised once. It should have been a nice story but they focused in on one statement one of my people said and used that. He was an english speaker but a non-Australian and used a sentence that translated badly if said in Australia. It was an endangered species of animal and he said 'put out of its misery' meaning cared for it to take away the pain. But of course it means kill here. Anyway they twisted the whole story and made him out to be a mongrel when in fact he was the hero.

My point is - chose your words carefully and make up some 'key sentences' before hand. I call them sound-bites. Use them even if they don't fit the question perfectly. If you do a good quote they will retape the question just to use your quote. I assume it is TV - but if paper - not as importance. But sound-bites still work well. I guess they become word-bites.

Thanks Pepe001 it's a newspaper article in my local rag, not exactly the national coverage I would like but hey it's a start. I will try to make sure they stick to the facts, I've never done this before so I am trying my best, I can't just give up in case it's reported wrongly, I have to try and get the word out there that NSW councils are not doing their job, they are not abiding by the law because as Dave73 said...it's too hard.

Yep as you say...too hard. I had an old dude spit at me one day, yep spit. I was in the same area before I gave it up as a bad joke and this guys little fluffy came zooming out of no where barking and snapping around my greyhounds legs. With greyhounds thin skin any breed of dog can do damage so I was yelling at him to get his bloody dog before I kicked it to the moon, which were my exact words. He stormed over and said "how dare you! if you touch my dog I will report you" I asked him to whom he was going to report me, my greyhounds are muzzled and onlead by law put the bloody thing on a lead NOW! Do you know what? He didn't even have a lead, he just let his dog out of his car and let it go. When he told me that I called him an irresponsible ar#ehole so he spat at me...nice.

I would of knocked him out but a guy who spits wouldn't have the ticker to do it to another guy

Well the photographer was an hour late and the reporter never turned up at all!

The guy that took the photos said the reporter had already written the story she just needed the photos. I said "what story, I just chatted to her on the phone?" He rang her and said to call me which she did, luckily because she got so many things wrong. She read what she had written and I corrected her on certain things, like it wasn't Stan that had surgery it was Maddie and a couple of other things where she had it completely balls up *sigh*. Anyway she said she couldn't email me the story otherwise she would miss the deadline so fingers crossed she bloody got it right!

Yes it was bloody annoying I wasn't very impressed, I'll link the story here when it comes out.

I have heard nothing from council on the outcome and the reporter said she had not heard from them either when she emailed them to tell them she was running the story.

Stan is fine but Maddie is just terrible when she sees other dogs now. I worked so hard at building her confidence after she was attacked in foster care and now she's worse than ever :(

Guest donatella

Glad to read your doggles are okay sorry to hear maddie is struggling poor darling x

Yes it was bloody annoying I wasn't very impressed, I'll link the story here when it comes out.

I have heard nothing from council on the outcome and the reporter said she had not heard from them either when she emailed them to tell them she was running the story.

Stan is fine but Maddie is just terrible when she sees other dogs now. I worked so hard at building her confidence after she was attacked in foster care and now she's worse than ever :(

This is why I always take dog attack reports with a grain of salt. The same thing happens in the USA - there was a study run on what the media reported vs. what the actual facts of dog attack fatalities were and they were wildly different. Glad you got a chance to set her straight, hopefully the story will be better seeing as you managed to speak to her.

So sorry to hear that Maddie has regressed in her behaviour. That is often harder to deal with than the physical injuries :(

Why am I not surprised at this outcome. When the story is printed and if there are glaring inaccuracies then I would write a letter to the Editor and very strongly correct the article and point out that the reporter did not front to an appointment nor did she give you time to check the article. She may have missed a deadline but there is always next weeks edition and surely in order to present the story correctly it would have been more important to have you confirm what was written.

Of course that is not how journalists see it.

A letter to the editor of course does not remove what has already been printed and in some cases that story will be taken as gospel.

HazyWal, do you have a local community paper in addition to the local one. (We have one put out monthly for just our suburb) If so maybe you could write something and send it to that paper. That would at least get your story out as you wish it to be read.