My Greyhounds Were Attacked Today :(

HazyWal

What I just don't understand is that councils will impound dogs because of what they look like but seem unwilling to take action when there is an issue. I am sure I am not alone in thinking this!!

You're right. This is a clear case of why deed not breed is at the heart of public safety. Another 'slip up' and those dogs will do it again. Best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. Breed is not predictive of an individual dog's behaviour.

Apart from the horror that HW & the greys had to go thro', those dogs pose a community problem. Which is why mel's post makes sense to me.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much Mel for your advice, what Oso said is exactly what I was told today. She has 14 days to prove that her dogs are not dangerous, and really how the f**k do you do that :/, and then the council will declare it a non issue. The ranger told me that it is highly improbable that it will stick. We are dealing with Gosford Council here, it took me three months of calls and emails for them to reply to a separate issue :(

Edited by HazyWal

Thanks so much Mel for your advice, what Oso said is exactly what I was told today. She has 14 days to prove that her dogs are not dangerous, and really how the f**k do you do that :/, and then the council will declare it a non issue.

It's known the dogs are dangerous because they already acted dangerously, causing documented injury to other dogs & a person. It's not hearsay. There's evidence of what happened.

Again.... it's a truism 'The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.' Given a similar owner 'slip up' in monitoring & management, it's predictable that these dogs will do the same thing again. So the community has a vested interest in something firm being done about this owner & her dogs. Council animal management is supposed to be in the interests of community safety.

Do you have an independent body in NSW the same as the Q'ld Civil & Admininstrative Review Tribunal? People can challenge government & local government decisions that they disagree with. Interestingly, 'animal management' is given on their website as one of the areas that can be challenged.

Edited by mita

Thanks so much Mel for your advice, what Oso said is exactly what I was told today. She has 14 days to prove that her dogs are not dangerous, and really how the f**k do you do that :/, and then the council will declare it a non issue. The ranger told me that it is highly improbable that it will stick. We are dealing with Gosford Council here, it took me three months of calls and emails for them to reply to a separate issue :(

Hazy Wal perhaps consider speaking directly to the person who manages the pound/rangers in council (sorry if you have already done so). I saw a big difference at times when people did so.

They oversee shelter staff/rangers and deal with complaints or any issues. Follow it up in writting.

It is forseeable that the same thing that happened to you, Stan and Maddie can happen again. As you have said, if it was a smaller dog with an owner not able to intervene it could have been another story. I said the same when it happened to me. I had steal caped boots on have have never booted anything that hard in my life.

I am so sorry you have been through this, hope you are all recovering and please make sure you visit the doctor today.

If these dogs are not Declared Dangerous - I think we have to go to the media!!!! How this council is applying the legislation would need examination. :mad

Edited by frufru

I'm pretty sure it was Gosford Council that managed my friend's case a few years ago. She was walking her kelpie during a visit to the coast when a huge dog (breed unidentified) came out of it's driveway and attacked them. She was walking her dog on the lead at around 6pm and didn't see the dog coming. It got her dog by the throat and she injured herself, trying to get the dog off. The dog's owner had followed the dog out but did nothing to help. My friend rushed her dog to the nearest vet who did some emergency repair work before putting her dog back in the car and driving to Sydney trying to get to SASH but he died en route.

The council went looking for the dog and found the dog. The owners pleaded for him, saying that he'd never done it before - as he was regularly loose in the area, you'd have to wonder as this was totally unprovoked and sudden - no fight occurred, the dog simply went in for the kill.

Anyhow, the rangers contacted my friends and told them they could ask for the dog to be euthanased but they decided not to.

I would definitely not have been so forgiving because I would never want that to happen to someone else.

It's awful because you are already upset at times like this and thinking/acting on anything can be challenging but it cannot be right that dogs can be allowed to attack like that due to owner's negligence and get off scott free.

Just paying a vet bill doesn't make it right. People and their pets need to be protected from these dogs.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

I would be going on Melz advice.

My neighbours dog was out everyday, and would sit on my doorstep and rush anyone who walked past and try and bite them.

One day it attacked and nearly killed a neighbours cat which was on its front lawn playing with its owners young children.

The vet bill was over $3000, she refused to pay.

I know the dog was immediately declared a nuisance and she got a fine.

It continued to get out, scaled the fence everyday, I and many neighbours rang council, they never showed ( I know as it sat allday on my porch). :mad

OMG your poor babies, I'm so glad they escaped with their lives. I hope your injuries are healing well too. I can't believe the b**ch is trying to get out of paying the rest of the vet bills. She shouldn't be allowed to keep her dogs if she isn't financially stable, what if they got sick, how would she pay then. I sincerely hope you can get the money out of her, you shouldn't have to suffer the pain and stress as well as the financial beating :mad

I'm pretty sure it was Gosford Council that managed my friend's case a few years ago. She was walking her kelpie during a visit to the coast when a huge dog (breed unidentified) came out of it's driveway and attacked them. She was walking her dog on the lead at around 6pm and didn't see the dog coming. It got her dog by the throat and she injured herself, trying to get the dog off. The dog's owner had followed the dog out but did nothing to help. My friend rushed her dog to the nearest vet who did some emergency repair work before putting her dog back in the car and driving to Sydney trying to get to SASH but he died en route.

The council went looking for the dog and found the dog. The owners pleaded for him, saying that he'd never done it before - as he was regularly loose in the area, you'd have to wonder as this was totally unprovoked and sudden - no fight occurred, the dog simply went in for the kill.

Anyhow, the rangers contacted my friends and told them they could ask for the dog to be euthanased but they decided not to.

I would definitely not have been so forgiving because I would never want that to happen to someone else.

It's awful because you are already upset at times like this and thinking/acting on anything can be challenging but it cannot be right that dogs can be allowed to attack like that due to owner's negligence and get off scott free.

Just paying a vet bill doesn't make it right. People and their pets need to be protected from these dogs.

Jesus HM Dogmad.... That is just such a sad story :( Poor Kelpie :angel:

I'm sorry but I couldn't of been that forgiving either. Not a chance if it killed one of mine.

So very true what you are saying. Paying the Vet bill DOES NOT make it right at all. People should be able to walk their dogs happily & safely. Not be in fear of being attacked or worse. Negligent aggressive dog owners need to be held accountable big time. An unsupervised aggressive dog has no place in society IMHO.

Edited by BC Crazy

Contact Team Dog and ask them for some info.

I abhor the fact you, as the innocent party, are being pushed into a corner not deserved.

There must be a stand that can be taken for your rights.

Again HUGS & LOVE to all of you.

I do have to say that every time the jehovah witness people visit my place they are very careful about shutting the gate even if I have shut the door in their face. And it is the owner's responsibility to ensure all gates are shut before letting the dogs out into the yard. She hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Hope the Dr clears you of any serious damage and it's just bruising. Not that just bruising is acceptable either but you get my drift :)

Contact Team Dog and ask them for some info.

I abhor the fact you, as the innocent party, are being pushed into a corner not deserved.

There must be a stand that can be taken for your rights.

Again HUGS & LOVE to all of you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Melza is one third of Team Dog :)

The ranger just came and saw me to let me know the outcome of yesterdays meeting with the owner of these dogs and she told me again that she highly doubts the dangerous dog dec will go through :( She said it may but she highly doubts it.

They have the following photos so how could it not? :cry:

Maddie's injuries, stitches on the right and the open wound and some of the bruising.

Stan's hock where the dog was dragging him by the leg.

post-38965-0-83173600-1396928335_thumb.jpg

post-38965-0-64819600-1396928351_thumb.jpg

post-38965-0-53728400-1396928374_thumb.jpg

The ranger just came and saw me to let me know the outcome of yesterdays meeting with the owner of these dogs and she told me again that she highly doubts the dangerous dog dec will go through :( She said it may but she highly doubts it.

Maddie's injuries, stitches on the right and the open wound and some of the bruising.

Injuries to you in defending your animals must come into this sooner rather than later.

That protest march thro' the Central Coast is looking better. ( Post 177)

Guest hankodie

:cry::cry::cry: poor Stan and Maddie. I can't believe that HW, that makes me so mad. Is there anyway you could maybe seek some legal advice?