Rescue

So you moved from Melbourne to Sydney and while "networking" and "learning" from GR, MN (who GR thinks is some sort of God, says a lot about their rescue IMO) it all went to poo. I saw you advertising on Gumtree for a property to rent in northern NSW last year to be able to build temporary kennels (once again shades of GR, shove 'em in those kennels) so you could rescue greyhounds. Now you live in Finley and rescue "working dogs". Do I have the story right so far?

Sam I don't hate you I can't be bothered but I'm not the person you have to convince, I'm a no one. As Anna said you burnt some very well respected and reputable rescues in your quest to save every greyhound, I supported you to start with as well because like Maddy we do hope that there will be reputable greyhound rescues in the future to help the breed we love but each one that pops up leaves me to despair the future of greyhound rescue :(

You should have re-introduced yourself as Anna said and taken it from there. To make a hundred threads questioning dodgy rescues smacks of hypocrisy to me :shrug:

No I didnt network or learn from PR She has nothing to teach a single person. I didnt start networking until after I was no longer with them. I would not consider myself dodgy thats exactly why i was no longer welcome to work at star i wasnt dodgy, wouldnt drug dogs, didnt think dogs that attacked kids (one of them being my daughter) should be rehomed, i wanted to do homechecks that got me in trouble too. I can only apologize and move forward its up to others to forgive or not and their right to refuse to forgive.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Sam's defense... I actually visited STAR when she was working there - and was very pleasantly surprised at the standard of care she and her family were providing the dogs there. I also witnessed a couple of adoption prospect meetings where everything about the particular dog was discussed... she actually knocked back one family because they weren't going to be the right home for that particular dog (which may have upset MN immensely). All of the dogs were happy, healthy, and their enclosures were spotless... not one dog was drugged, and all were exercised individually during the course of the day with plenty of one-on-one human interaction and love. Sam was fully cognizant of each dog's individual needs and wants...

T.

In Sam's defense... I actually visited STAR when she was working there - and was very pleasantly surprised at the standard of care she and her family were providing the dogs there. I also witnessed a couple of adoption prospect meetings where everything about the particular dog was discussed... she actually knocked back one family because they weren't going to be the right home for that particular dog (which may have upset MN immensely). All of the dogs were happy, healthy, and their enclosures were spotless... not one dog was drugged, and all were exercised individually during the course of the day with plenty of one-on-one human interaction and love. Sam was fully cognizant of each dog's individual needs and wants...

T.

She actually stopped me from doing meet and greets, I was yelled at because I told one family that the dog had bad anxiety and would not be ok to be left alone during the day until they got him worked with. Another dog took awhile to rehome because he literally needed at least an hour of hard exercise a day or he would get destructive. One of the things she nabbed me on which made it legal to fire me was it was in the contract all dogs had to have muzzles on if there were more than two out at a time. Well how fun is it for 2 dogs to play together if they have to have muzzles this was only a month or so after she posted the infamous riley playing muzzle free with another dog and praising how good it was to see. When she locked me out of the dogs it was heartbreaking but they have all since been rehomed so I am happy about that. I really missed sissy and Riley. Riley would bang his head against the kennel all night and I could hear it and it was just awful.

I hope and pray you take the information you have regarding those kennels from hell and MN to the authorities.

They dont care :cry:

Just remember this.....the more bickering and non helping of resources wastes too much time....everyone....just do the thing that you are all good at...saving the dogs.....not directed at any one person...just a general remark...

I can only offer financial support sometimes...put ur energy to good use my friends

Just remember this.....the more bickering and non helping of resources wastes too much time....everyone....just do the thing that you are all good at...saving the dogs.....not directed at any one person...just a general remark...

I can only offer financial support sometimes...put ur energy to good use my friends

It's not bickering, it's called ethical rescue practice.

I see a lot of 'broking' dogs in rescue on DOL & I guess it happens elsewhere online, too - I am not on facebook. I cannot comprehend how someone in Sydney (or any other location) can recommend a dog in a pound, for argument's sake in Wagga, to a rescue group in Queensland. Surely it is up to the rescue groups to source dogs that fit in with their carers, practices, & their clientel. The rescue organisations should be liaising with rangers & forming relationships with pounds... not getting information & animals third hand.

Personally, I am against the shipment of dogs willy nilly across the country where temperament & health status are unknown in expounded dogs. Where do these dogs end up? There are a myriad of rescues now, who knows which ones do the right thing? When I started out in rescue over 26 years ago everything was done at a local level, yes, that's old fashioned but at least there were measures which could be implemented when things went wrong.

This probably doesn't belong in this thread, but it's been bugging me for a long time now. :mad

It's not bickering, it's called ethical rescue practice.

I see a lot of 'broking' dogs in rescue on DOL & I guess it happens elsewhere online, too - I am not on facebook. I cannot comprehend how someone in Sydney (or any other location) can recommend a dog in a pound, for argument's sake in Wagga, to a rescue group in Queensland. Surely it is up to the rescue groups to source dogs that fit in with their carers, practices, & their clientel. The rescue organisations should be liaising with rangers & forming relationships with pounds... not getting information & animals third hand.

Personally, I am against the shipment of dogs willy nilly across the country where temperament & health status are unknown in expounded dogs. Where do these dogs end up? There are a myriad of rescues now, who knows which ones do the right thing? When I started out in rescue over 26 years ago everything was done at a local level, yes, that's old fashioned but at least there were measures which could be implemented when things went wrong.

This probably doesn't belong in this thread, but it's been bugging me for a long time now. :mad

:clap: Very well said Trifecta. They are people who believe anyone calling themselves a "rescue" must be good. The number of facebook "likes" on some very dodgy ones prove that and the glowing comments by people who don't know anything about the "rescue" they are liking are sickening.

It doesn't help the very good and ethical rescues who don't seek the accolades or fanfare, and just quietly get on with the job of rescuing and rehoming well.

Not directed at "Happy Camper" - I don't know you at all.

Hi czzzy. Apologies for the long post but you're new and wanting to support some animals who really are at the end of the line.

Problem being, what's from the outside seen as bickering is in fact genuine, sometimes frantic concern.

The 'it's all about the dogs' gets thrown back in the face of anyone who questions ethics, morals or general practice.

General practice such as temperament assessment, quarantine and adequate vetting of new homes are all being thrown out the window. Because anyone who even attempts to point out the historically sound and proven methods of rescuing: methods which really really are "all about the dogs". Finds themselves shouted down by people who cannot see past their own feel-goody rescue angel needs. Competing for praise and a good looking tally of dogs they have rescued.

I can guarantee you now, dogs are being placed into situations where they would have been better off put to sleep at the pound than suffer what some people do to them. Unchecked homes with no fences. Terminally ill dogs being given away *crossing fingers* that they'll be taken care of. So you can make room for the next dog. Dragging dear old seniors around so you can get a pat on the head and a few sappy photos for FB.

Hoarders, dog abusers, on-sellers and backyard breeders pretending to be rescue (this dirty little secret is more common than you'd think).

And then there's poor bloody unrehomeable dogs living in a kennel forever. Going kennel crazy and being sedated every night. Because whoever saved them can't let reality get in the way of being a self appointed saviour.

Your own dog is being put at risk as well. Maybe in the hold of a plane next to a parvo ridden dog somebody was so determined to save that they don't care what happens to anyone else. Could be a fresh pound dog sitting in the vet's waiting room coughing all over your dog.

The dog before yours at the groomer. Or the one that's being dragged all around a local community day so that the 'rescuer' can tee up some interest or a bit of cash.

Maybe by your neighbours who have adopted a fence jumping dog aggressive horror, a dog that they adopted in good faith that a 'rescuer' wouldn't put them and their family through hell.

And then there's taking of your money.

IF the 'Rescue/r' does not have fundraising approval. DO NOT deposit money into their bank account or one of those 'chip-in' things. Pay it to their vet, or directly to an account with a goods and service provider. Or you may as well just give someone travellers cheques for their next holiday.

I don't blame anyone for unknowingly supporting a dodgey rescue they find on facebook. Because if they don't know what to look for and anything critical is blocked and deleted how could they know?

So that's it all on the table for when you read what can sometimes be seen as a rather aggressive spanish inquisition.

All very good points anna I have seen 14 year old dogs taken from the pound, to the vet and then on an airplane to SA from sydney in the span of 3 days. I am not sure how if you have someone on the ground at the pound to assess temp and if a dog is wanted by a rescue its a bad thing to get the dog to them. If they are a responsible rescue and do right by the dog AND the community is that honestly bad? I dont think so a lot of breed rescues take from all over the country and have saved a lot of dogs lives through networking.

To be fair, progressive sheltering and rescue in the States wholly embraces transporting dogs, often across the country, to place them where they are wanted and reduce kill rates - and it works brilliantly.

California pounds are full to the brim with Chihuahua types (believe it or not) to the point where San Fran has BSL for Chihuahuas - mandatory desexing. There is an oversupply of that type of dog in that area and they are not as readily adopted as the bigger dogs.

NYC shelters have lots of Pit Bull types and not enough adopters wanting them due to the high incidence of apartment living. There's a big demand for the littlies but not many in the shelters.

The big shelters (ASPCA etc) as well as smaller rescues regularly ship the Chis over to NYC and the Pits over to San Fran - sending the 'in demand' dog to where they are wanted. Adoption rates up, less killing.

Lots of 'old school' ideas about rescue are anything but helpful.

That said I don't support the actions of dog brokers like those we have in Sydney.

Edited by melzawelza

To be fair, progressive sheltering and rescue in the States wholly embraces transporting dogs, often across the country, to place them where they are wanted and reduce kill rates - and it works brilliantly.

California pounds are full to the brim with Chihuahua types (believe it or not) to the point where San Fran has BSL for Chihuahuas - mandatory desexing. There is an oversupply of that type of dog in that area and they are not as readily adopted as the bigger dogs.

NYC shelters have lots of Pit Bull types and not enough adopters wanting them due to the high incidence of apartment living. There's a big demand for the littlies but not many in the shelters.

The big shelters (ASPCA etc) as well as smaller rescues regularly ship the Chis over to NYC and the Pits over to San Fran - sending the 'in demand' dog to where they are wanted. Adoption rates up, less killing.

That said I don't support the actions of dog brokers like those we have in Sydney.

The shelter where I worked often shipped hound dogs west and north where they were less popular. probably a good 60% of inmates were hound dogs.

The shelter where I worked often shipped hound dogs west and north where they were less popular. probably a good 60% of inmates were hound dogs.

I would think the responsible way to do it would be to health and temp check them where they are originally and only transport the ones that prove suitable for rehoming. If its done that way I think it's a good idea.

I would think the responsible way to do it would be to health and temp check them where they are originally and only transport the ones that prove suitable for rehoming. If its done that way I think it's a good idea.

That's what was done. I believe the ones that were approved were also vaccinated before transport.

Not someone's finest hour that's for sure :laugh: The thing is you can't blame the PR people for your own behaviour, you made choices and they were bad ones. I'm not seeing a lot of genuine personal insight. I hope I'm wrong and next time that very experienced ethical rescues take the time to point you in the right direction you will listen.