New Addition

huga

:D

10153786_4117211705242_1093854961_n.jpg

I played with it a bit in the car on the way home.

Just pulled one image off:

ISO 6400

13655837665_e249dbf633_c.jpg

I have some comparisons to look at too.

The only downside is the flipping huge file sizes.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, there's not a big difference at all - definitely not the change I had last time (from DX to FX).

The D700 is still a pretty legendary camera. Even second hand they still go for quite a bit. Nikon didn't replace that model directly, there's a bit of a step up with the D800 or a slight step down with the D600. I was really disappointed that there wasn't a direct replacement for the D700, because I love that camera like a child :laugh: Mine is slowing down though, it's hunting for focus when it never used to - even after a service. Mostly noticeable in low light (like the shelter), but since I shoot weddings, missing focus is not something I can risk.

The main difference (and I don't like this part) is I've gone from a 12mp camera to a 36mp camera. The file sizes are stupid. Which also means I've had to spend a crapload on new cards. One thing I am pleased about is the dual card slot - I'll be able to back up images as I shoot them, which is super important for weddings.

Thanks guys.

I don't know if you can tell, but there is a really lovely rich creaminess about them. It's hard to explain. It was the first thing I noticed when I opened them up in LR. Flickr has over sharpened them, so they don't look as good here.

Huga, is this the D800 or D800E? And have you used any software to reduce noise in the first pic? I've always heard that Nikons are supposed to be good for not a lot of noise at high ISO but I find anything above iso 400 on my D7000 and there is too much noise :(

It's the 800, the 800E is really for landscape. It shows too much details for portraits (of humans at least, animals probably don't care).

Nup, first pic has just gone through LR and had a slight sharpen in PS. I never use noise reduction software - I prefer the grain over the plastic-ness that the software usually creates.

That's really odd about the d7000... Are you correctly exposing? I tend to overexpose slightly if I'm shooting at high ISOs, because even slight underexposing will make the noise worse, if that makes sense? At the shelter cattery, I am constantly at ISO1600 and around f2.5.

Wow this was like de ja vu - another photographer just excitedly posted a photo of her new D800 on FB and was complaining about the file size and how she had to buy heaps of CF cards :laugh:

Great photos, love the first one of Sid :)

Well, I never made an official announcement as it's relatively recent and we weren't sure if it was permanent. But it looks like it is. Just one of life's little mysteries. Lucky for us, he had at least some hearing until recently, so he's already pretty good at following hand signals. It's definitely harder to make him look at me though.