After A Rough Estimate On Price

lilypily

I'm guessing we have members here who have had a glass door cut to install a doggy door. I know prices will vary, just after a estimate for a small/medium dog.

I love the click in pannels (it is for a sliding glass door). The ones i'v seen are around the $200 mark. I'm just wondering which way would be cheapest.

When I sought quotes to cut a hole in for a doggy door I was told it depended on the glass in the door and that most doors could not take having a piece cut out. The strength of the glass would be affected negatively.

You will probably need to order a complete piece with the hole pre-cut. A glazier can then remove the old section and replace with the new glass.

I solved the problem by installing a complete new sliding door with the hole cut in the panel, cut to suit this dog door:

https://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/716

I can't recall who I purchased it through. It was online and they were based in QLD.

I have had this done - I had a doggy door put into the fixed glass side of my large sliding door so my boy has access indoors and outdoors 24/7 even if we are not home. Mostly the glass has been tempered and you cannot cut tempered glass so we had an entire new panel made with the door space cut in and then the glass was tempered,after cutting. The organisation I got my doggy door from arraanged everything which was convenient for me. Cost about $800 but that was about 8ish years ago. Cost was not a factor for me - it was not having to get up in the middle of,the night to let my boy out for his midnight wee - he could go all by himself - leaving my sleep undisturbed.

The pet sensors will open the door for them.

Which brings me back to my original point about security. :confused:

All a burglar has to do is wait for the dog to open the door for them to gain entry to the house.

I realise that. Sorry, I wasn't very clear. What if your dogs were inside at night or when you were not home? How do they go out to toilet.

They wait patiently in their crates :D

Or i'm guessing you could just turn off the power switch and it won't work.

Edited by lilypily

Ahh crates. Now that's a whole other argument. :laugh:

My guys enjoy the freedom of pen, a choice of beds, and access to the dog door 24/7.

True :laugh: Seeing my boy is only 17wks he is untrusted unsupervised. If I go out during the day, he goes into the laundry and he sleeps in his crate in my bedroom. When he's older he will gain full access to the house unsupervised.

Just for interests sake (I just had to know :laugh: ) The Autoslide starter kit is $367 + GST.

I rang Petstock to get a price on the sliding door insert, they start at $400 :eek: I said Bunnings sell them for around $200. The sales assistant didn't believe me.

So I went to Bunnings and they are $185, but they had none in stock, so i'll see if Masters sell them

Yep, they're the exact ones i'm looking at. Bunnings sell them for around the $200 mark. I rang several glass companies, one said $300 and the other said $600 (always pays to ring around). Yes, i'd have to have a complete new panel of glass.

That Autoslide looks so cool.

Ah, I thought I had stumbled onto something brilliant, bit slow aren't I? :laugh: The glass is a bit expensive, would you have to change it back if you move?

Yep, they're the exact ones i'm looking at. Bunnings sell them for around the $200 mark. I rang several glass companies, one said $300 and the other said $600 (always pays to ring around). Yes, i'd have to have a complete new panel of glass.

That Autoslide looks so cool.

Ah, I thought I had stumbled onto something brilliant, bit slow aren't I? :laugh: The glass is a bit expensive, would you have to change it back if you move?

I'll get the clip in door. It's the cheapest option and i'v seen one at someones house, they look good and are lockable. Masters don't sell them. Lucky i'm not in a huge hurry.