When To Take Dogs To Vet For Diarrhea?

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Ok so I moved house last week and grabbed a cheap brand of kibble for them to graze on during the day (they get dry food put down) and since the first few days Lucy had had diarrhea but still good appetite for other dinner and now since yesterday Bonnie has had diarrhea however I've taken the food away from them. It's liquid offensive smelling for the poor things.

Could it be the new food? I'm petrified there is something on the grass they've picked up. Both are vaccinated first year but Lucy is due again this year at 3 years and I was hoping to do Bon at 3 years too.

Both are happy, no blood in stool and have just had chicken breast for dinner. I'm working tomorrow so don't have time for vets but will come home early if it's urgent and they should be seen?

Edited by donatella

Depends on what they are like tomorrow morning, I would think. It is always a difficult call if vets aren't close by.

Could you drop them off to someone you trust or to the vet in the morning, so they can be watched through the day?

TSD posted at same time. I agree with her - no food or very lean chicken and rice.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Guest donatella

They've not had anything but chicken breast tonight. OMG brilliant idea DD I will ask mum to drop them at hers she is home all day. I have no idea what could set them both off which is why I'm thinking viral. My only other problem is I'm 40mins from mums and Bon gets very car sick and vomits with every trip so taking her and picking her up could be a disaster. They are pretty happy and happily ate their chicken just now I'll starve them tomorrow. I'm hoping it's the new food I read it can throw the bacteria off for weeks

Depending how serious it is I normally starve them for 24 hours or feed lean, cooked chicken and brown rice. If they are bright and happy that is. It tends to self resolve.

Yep I do exactly the same thing and it works a treat. Fast for 24 hours then 48 hours of nothing but poached chicken and rice, small portions morning and night. I would guess the kibble, Stan has the dodgiest guts and it doesn't take much to give him the squirts.

My criteria usually goes on drinking. If mine stop drinking they go to the vet. Likewise if they can't keep water down while fasting (throwing up) they go to the vet too.

If it's just diarrhea they get fasted for 24 hours.

My only other problem is I'm 40mins from mums and Bon gets very car sick and vomits with every trip so taking her and picking her up could be a disaster.

Ah, that's a bummer. Any chance your mum could come to your place just to check on them?

It is just that they are so small.

But from what you are saying, they are probably okay, really.

And agree with wuffles. Can't keep water down = visit to vet.

Ok so I moved house last week and grabbed a cheap brand of kibble for them to graze on during the day (they get dry food put down) and since the first few days Lucy had had diarrhea but still good appetite for other dinner and now since yesterday Bonnie has had diarrhea however I've taken the food away from them. It's liquid offensive smelling for the poor things.

Could it be the new food? I'm petrified there is something on the grass they've picked up. Both are vaccinated first year but Lucy is due again this year at 3 years and I was hoping to do Bon at 3 years too.

Both are happy, no blood in stool and have just had chicken breast for dinner. I'm working tomorrow so don't have time for vets but will come home early if it's urgent and they should be seen?

Could it be related to your house move? She may be feeling overwhelmed being in a different environment.

My vet -- one of them anyway -- told me not to worry too much about adults with the runs so long as they were looking bright and acting normal. Another remedy is pumpkin, canned or cooked fresh. There are lots of remedies and most of them work most of the time cause such problems tend to pass on their own. I don't bother fasting the dogs unless it is really bad.

I'm thinking it sounds like the move and the change of kibble has probably stressed them out. You mentioned that you've given them a cheap brand of kibble; was there a slow change over like recommended or did you just give it to them?

I agree with the rice and boiled chicken -- it helped Kirah when she had the squirts.

Guest donatella

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Last night I ended up with diarrhea all over my bed from Bon and its very unlike her as she goes 12 hours on my bed without needing to go to the loo. Coincidentally the pet steps are broken so she had no way to get down when the urge came so I don't blame her at all, its very out of character. She is very happy in herself, had a BIG drink of water and was expecting a treat as I left the house today (they get a schmacko everyday when I leave the house, I didn't give it to her of course).

I haven't seen any mess from Lucy since yesterday afternoon, I'm thinking it may be parasitic now because of the mess Bon made last night.

They haven't had the food now in probably 4 days, they normally graze on Goodo's but the shop had none so I bought another cheapie brand (doh) thinking they could stomach it after being able to tolerate Goodo's without problem.

Stress and new environment is a good point also but I'm really thinking bug now. I will see how they go today, they are still full of beans and wanting food but if it is a bug then they probably need to see a vet. Will get onto the pumpkin and tea tips too thank you!!

Guest donatella

Yes I know the Goodo's is a habit they picked up from my mothers and schmackos is their favourite food in the world :eek: