Prednisolone

Yonjuro

Yes, they are blue, hopefully the advised short tapering is only because he has only been on the 20mg x 2 for 3 days?! Boy oh boy what a nightmare from a bloody bee sting! :(

Needed as a means of protecting him as he recovers from the effects of the bee sting & its venom.

They are a steriod which is why they work so well but with side effects.

Did the vet give the dog an injection??

Depending on how bad the swelling is you can simply use an anti histamine .

My boy reacts badly so is a vet job or we use the injections we have.Normally for our bad cases they have simply had a jab & thats it & ice .My boy can take 3 days for the swelling to go

Yep, the vet gave an injection, the swelling was bad on his lower jaw. As she couldn't locate the sting and the swelling has subsided some( but not as much after the two 10 minute waiting times) ,as she would have liked we were sent home with the meds.

Treb is on 20mg (they are blue as well) for his Addison's and he is just shy of 50kg.. so that is a pretty heavy dose for a young dog. The excessive drinking and weeing can be a side effect of the drug though and from what I have been told by the addison's dog people on the facebook groups I am in you need to wean dogs off it pretty slowly as they can get a bit of ragey when the withdrawals hit.

--Lhok

Yeah, it seems high but I suppose there were reasons for a short strong course? I don't know as it was an emergency vet and the time was getting close to midnight when I was given the tablets.

Yes, they are blue, hopefully the advised short tapering is only because he has only been on the 20mg x 2 for 3 days?! Boy oh boy what a nightmare from a bloody bee sting! :(

Needed as a means of protecting him as he recovers from the effects of the bee sting & its venom.

Good to know, i never realised a bee sting could be so dangerous for my dog.

Good to know, i never realised a bee sting could be so dangerous for my dog.

As it is for humans, some breeds get very badly swollen 'sting' sites. They look as awful as they feel too.

Found my breed (Hungarian Vizsla) can be the original tragic patient if bitten.

eta: sorry for the incorrect quote

Edited by VizslaMomma

You'll just have to be extra vigilant around bees from now on. My Zeus was stung by a bee on the foot and that resulted in him going into full blown anaphylaxis; his face swelled and went bright red and blotchy, he struggled to breathe and eventually passed out and was non responsive. I'm paranoid now whenever he comes limping over towards me because I automatically think bee sting and almost freak out. It usually turns out to be a bindi in his paw, but I can't afford now not to worry. :(

I totally feel your pain Yonjuro and I wish Ronin and speedy recovery. :hug:

Thanks RSA

I was lucky that I noticed as he didn't make a yelp or whimper, he just went to his normal spot to lie down for bed. I went to pat him goodnight and I thought he has something in his mouth, and then I saw how swollen it was. It looked like he had broken or dislocated his jaw! Luckily the Emergency vet is only 2km away so I bolted straight in.

I will need to talk to my vet about what type and dose of anti-histamines to have on hand for the future.

He was fine the morning after and eating as normal, just the side effects of the meds are worrying, but at least I know what I am dealing with now and hopefully the smaller doses mean less side effects for the next week.

Yep, the vet gave an injection, the swelling was bad on his lower jaw. As she couldn't locate the sting and the swelling has subsided some( but not as much after the two 10 minute waiting times) ,as she would have liked we were sent home with the meds.

So the vet expected the swelling to have gone down more after 20 mins ?? So he got a jab which is steriods & then given the tablets as well.Never ever had that much given & every time mine have the jabs i have been told if the swelling hasn't shown some improvement after 4 hrs then to come back & we rarely find the sting as the dogs have rubbed them out

My boy shows minimal reduction in 4 hrs ,his glands stay swollen for a few months

Phenergan works well but makes them dopey so i don't use that as i want to see the side effects .

We always have prednil on hand anyway just incase but with my bad reaction dogs have the needles .

When my guys swell there heads double the size & the eyes can't open

Gee, I didn't realise some dogs got such a bad reaction to bee stings! I have a dog that often chases and catches bees so has been stung a few times with no reaction at all.

My other dog has never been bitten as far as I know. Knowing her though she will get full blown reaction :o

0.5 - 1 mg per kilogram is generally accepted as a low dose (so called "anti-inflammatory dose") of prednisone for a dog. So for a 19kg dog, 10 - 20 mg would be the correct anti-inflammatory starting dose.

Pred is sometimes used at a much higher dose rate to achieve an immunosuppressive or anti-cancer effects, but at higher doses side effects are more common and often more severe when they do occur.

Pred is usually tapered rather than stopped suddenly, especially if it is being given for a long time or at a high dose. The reason for that is when you give prednisone, this suppresses the body's natural ability to make endogenous steroids - so if you suddenly stop giving steroid medication the body can become too low in steroid. The worst case scenario is that this can cause an Addisonian crisis, which can be very dangerous.

0.5 - 1 mg per kilogram is generally accepted as a low dose (so called "anti-inflammatory dose") of prednisone for a dog. So for a 19kg dog, 10 - 20 mg would be the correct anti-inflammatory starting dose.

Pred is sometimes used at a much higher dose rate to achieve an immunosuppressive or anti-cancer effects, but at higher doses side effects are more common and often more severe when they do occur.

Pred is usually tapered rather than stopped suddenly, especially if it is being given for a long time or at a high dose. The reason for that is when you give prednisone, this suppresses the body's natural ability to make endogenous steroids - so if you suddenly stop giving steroid medication the body can become too low in steroid. The worst case scenario is that this can cause an Addisonian crisis, which can be very dangerous.

Thanks for the info it is much appreciated.