Dogue De Bordeaux Question

MelissaS

Hi Everyone, hope it is OK to post this question in general.

My friend sent me a pic of a puppy today that she met in dog park- she and the owners insist this is a Dogue de Bordeaux.

I only got the text and did not meet the dog but when I questioned the look of the dog and said I thought it was a Neo X or such I was told that they are now breeding DDB in "other" colours!

Has anyone heard of this? We had an argument as I did not believe this to be true due to breed standard etc..etc.. They are insisting I am wrong.

I have attached a pic of the pup with the "other" colour and was wanting clarification on whether this colour is permitted in the breed standard?

Thank you :)

Mel

dog_bordeaux_a.jpg

I'm pretty sure the breed standard only accepts varying shades of red/fawn with or without darker muzzles. That pup doesn't look pure dogue anyway

ETA; here's the breed standard. go down to colours and it says varying dhades of fawn to mahogany. It won't let me copy and paste http://www.cornerstoneddb.com/standard.html

Edited by mixeduppup

At my park I met a man who told me his amstaff sized 12 month old pup was a DDB x Neo. The dog was brindled. I'm not sure that those two breeds would have a brindled offspring, but I wished him luck with his dog anyway- she seemed a nice natured dog, if a little headstrong.

Hi Everyone, hope it is OK to post this question in general.

dog_bordeaux_a.jpg

This not a pure breed DDB.

Colours ( at this time ) in Australia can only be as follows (http://www.ankc.org.au/Breed_Details.aspx?bid=167)

Self-coloured, in all shades of fawn, from mahogany to Isabella [lightish fawn]. A good pigmentation is desirable. Limited white patches are permissible on the chest and the extremities of the limbs.

Mask:

1. Black mask: The mask is often only slightly spread out and must not invade the cranial [skull] region. There may be slight black shading on the skull, ears, neck and top of body. The nose is then black.

2. Brown mask: (Used to be called red or bistre [darkened or swarthy]). The nose is then brown; the eyerims are also brown.

3. No mask: The coat is fawn; the skin appears red (also formerly called "red mask"). The nose is then reddish or pink.

I dream of this dog in those colours so I keep up to date with the standards.

Not sure if there is any Cane Corso as colours like that are not usual. (Friends breed them in the USA so based on observing their dogs)

My friend said the owner of the pup really believed it was a DDB. I found that hard to believe but I guess some people are naive etc..

Byb obviously, I wonder how much they paid and if this pup will have health issues :(

I hope the puppy is OK health wise I'm sure now if my friend sees the pup again she will delve deeper.

A byb recently up here was selling Mastiff X pups for $1200 and people bought all 4 of them :(

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

Edited for spelling

Edited by MelissaS

Not sure if there is any Cane Corso as colours like that are not usual. (Friends breed them in the USA so based on observing their dogs)

A quick check of DOL Cane Corso litters shows several breeders with "blue" Cane puppies avalable at the moment.

I have recently seen a 12 month old slate grey coloured Cane. I presume that he would be called a blue. He was a lovely dog with beautiful temperament.

From photos that I have seen this puppy looks more Cane than anything else.

Edited by Wundahoo

Is any breed safe from the blue craze? I now am seeing blue and tan Kelpies pop up and of course they are more expensive because its a rare color. Sigh when will people learn to choose a dog for temperament and health rather than color.