Help Me! Please

logan

This is going off topic, but lots of people who haven't got a clue about dogs are getting them every day from all the various places (pounds, shelters, breeders, pet shops, etc) where dogs are available.

I see plenty walking around my neighbourhood :(.

What should be done? More legislation? L plates, P plates, licence? It has been said many times on DOL: you can't legislate against stupidity.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Logan,

I would either contact a rescue organisation that can fit you with the right dog for your situation or a breeder of the type of dog breeds you're looking at and discuss it with them. Every dog in a breed is an individual and can deal with different lifestyles. I have a kelpie here that is 90% catatonic and another that is off the level energetic. A good reputable rescue or a good registered breeder that knows their breed and their dogs will be able to match you with exactly what you're looking for.

So make a list of dog breeds and/or types that you like and seek out reputable rescues and breeders with those types and breeds.

I wish you luck.

I'VE HAD A LAB FOR 15 YEARS

With all due respect, the fact that you've had an animal in your care for 15 years without killing it doesn't make automatically you a great dog owner.

Someone I know has parents who have a 12 year old Hungarian Vizsla. The dog is confined to the yard and is never walked by its owners. I'm confident no HV breeder I know would be happy to sell a pup into that home.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

logan :) glad you had a lab for so long .

Did you live in the same house?Or did the lab have a backyard /family members ?

having a dog mostly confined indoors is a very different kettle of fish ;)

I agree with this !

So make a list of dog breeds and/or types that you like and seek out reputable rescues and breeders with those types and breeds.

Hungarian Visla Victoria on facebook. maybe start here :)

Edited by persephone

Logan, the type of dog that you want is fairly unlikely to be content in your current living circumstances unless you provide an enormous amount of extra time, effort and money.

I am willing to bet that there are more than a few dogs in your neighbourhood who would really benefit from a regular long exercise session with you, it could very easily be the one thing in their lives that is lacking. smile.gif

So my advice to you, considering that a dog should be a lifetime commitment, is to defer getting your own dog until your home and lifestyle are more suited to the type of dog you seek. I feel that both you and the dog would be much happier in the long run if you waited.

Meanwhile you could be accompanied on your daily 45 minute run by one of the neighbourhood dogs - perhaps owned by someone who is currently injured or ill and cannot exercise their dog, or perhaps a family overwhelmed with young children or other new responsibilities that finds it difficult to make the time to exercise their dog.

It is always good to make friends with the neighbours, so that is another plus. thumbsup1.gif