Natural Tick Prevention

I was reading up on ticks on a Husky forum and there is a big bunch of people that use Rose Geranium Oil (100% essential oil) as prevention against ticks. The advocates say it is far more effective than any of the various chemical compounds commercially marketed . Apparently a drop or two on the outside of the collar once a week, or twice a week if going bush.

If bushwalking and have backpacks and harnesses then drops can be place strategically around the dog on the harness etc..

There is also a warning that this is not suitable for cats due to the inability of cats to metabolise essential oils??

I believe that you can make up a spray but I wouldn't know to do this.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this was on US forums, you should consider that while their ticks carry some nasty tick borne diseases, they do not have our paralysis tick over there. And AFAIK WA doesn't have the paralysis tick either.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't take any chances when I'm in paralysis tick country .. and even with chemical protection, I still do physical tick checks daily.

Rosewood 100% pure essential oil is good for warding off ticks. I use rosewood essential oil on my dog in a shampoo and spray, however I wouldn't use it solely as a tick preventative. Undiluted essential oils should never be applied to a dogs skin - you have to use 1 part essential oil to 100 parts water maximum but then the oil and water would separate so you need to add a solubiliser and unfortunately a preservative unless you're making up a fresh batch each time you use it. I think it's great that you're trying to find a more natural alternative.

I believe that you put a drop of the oil on the outside of the collar, not directly on the skin.

Like all treatments it is pretty hard to get 100% results with anything, but hedging your bets in prevention seems worth it when there appears to be no adverse side effects.

I believe that you put a drop of the oil on the outside of the collar, not directly on the skin.

Like all treatments it is pretty hard to get 100% results with anything, but hedging your bets in prevention seems worth it when there appears to be no adverse side effects.

I consider tick paralysis to be a pretty adverse side effect if it doesn't work.

How would a drop of oil on a dog's collar deter ticks when most ticks are found attached forward of the dog's shoulders??

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I consider tick paralysis to be a pretty adverse side effect if it doesn't work.

How would a drop of oil on a dog's collar deter ticks when most ticks are found attached forward of the dog's shoulders??

sigh...

I was reading up on ticks on a Husky forum and there is a big bunch of people that use Rose Geranium Oil (100% essential oil) as prevention against ticks. The advocates say it is far more effective than any of the various chemical compounds commercially marketed . Apparently a drop or two on the outside of the collar once a week, or twice a week if going bush.

If bushwalking and have backpacks and harnesses then drops can be place strategically around the dog on the harness etc..

There is also a warning that this is not suitable for cats due to the inability of cats to metabolise essential oils??

I believe that you can make up a spray but I wouldn't know to do this.

Rose geranium oil is good for repelling ticks on dogs - problem is that it attracts bees.

These are the oils known to repel ticks that you can use for human, dog or horse tick prevention.

Rose Geranium Essential Oil

Juniper Essential Oil

Rosewood Essential Oil

Thyme Essential Oil

Grapefruit Essential Oil

Oregano Essential Oil

Myrrh Essential Oil

Palo Santo Essential Oil

These are the oils that you can use for removing ticks from humans horses or dogs.Use a single drop neat.

Palo Santo Essential Oil

Peppermint Essential Oil

Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil

Oregano Essential Oil

Thyme Essential Oil

After the tick is removed you can apply a single drop of tea tree oil or Lavender oil – neat.

If you want to make a good Spritz

1 cup of Distilled water

2 Drops Rose Geranium Essential Oil

2 Drops Palo Santo Essential Oil

1 Drop Myrrh Essential Oil

4 Drops Grapefruit Essential Oil

1 Drop Peppermint Essential Oil

1 Drop of Castile Soap

I have a blend of these oils so its ready to add the water and soap or to add to a carrier oil.

Place in a spray bottle and shake. Spray when needed. You can use this recipe for you , your dog or your horse and you can use it to spray around your home and dogs bedding etc. There is also a similar blend that covers fleas and another that covers both. The soap mixes the oils and water and some of the oils act as preservatives.

You can take out the water and the soap and use it for the collar etc or even use it to make a collar.

Essential oils are widely used in aroma therapy and any oil you can apply neat on a human can be applied neat on a dog or horse as long as its therapeutic grade.

You can also use a carrier oil too if you want to apply it as an oil directly to the skin.

It is true that some oils cant be used on cats – mainly citrus and those which contain certain other chemicals that cats cant metobolise but there is a long list of oils which can be used on cats as long as they are therapeutic oils and geranium oil is one of them - usually but not always for cats oils are diluted with a carrier oil @ 50 drops of carrier oil to 1 drop of therapeutic essential oil - that's another topic.

Edited by Steve

A spot on applied to the back of the neck works for tick and flea protection so its not such a hard leap to consider that a naturally occurring chemical could do the same and reports from those using it are that it does work . If its used as a spritz or rubbed over the dogs with a carrier oil with hands it has the potential to do the job but wont last as long as the chemical spot ons.

Lots depends on where you live and type of coat and whether you want to avoid chemicals I guess.

Please be careful applying essential oils neat - I have seen 2 little dogs poisoned by teatree oil being put on them neat - they recovered but needed veterinary treatment

Yes agreed you need to be careful and the major thing you need to be aware of is that therapeutic 100% pure oils can be used differently to those which are not and they have to be used as directed. They are not all equal and some can have adverse side affects if not used correctly. Some will aggravate disorders such as epilepsy and some cant be used on pregnant women or dogs. The skin is a huge organ and transdermal issues where the skin absorbs both good and bad things into the bloodstream always need to be considered. Essential oils are chemicals even though they occur naturally - some of the most effective poisons also occur naturally and they have to be treated with respect .

Tea tree oil is toxic to humans and pets if taken internally and is considered safe for dogs at 1% externally which is why you still see it in some dog shampoos etc. More than a single drop after you remove a tick would be foolish but I would hope anyone who has tea tree oil has some which is marked with these kind of warnings. Better still use a drop of 100% Augustifolia Lavender oil you can even drink that in tea or eat it in baked goods and it does about the same job.

To be clear Im not saying ordinarily use any oil including Augustifolia Lavender neat but it is good for a single drop when you remove the tick.

Thanks for your responses Steve,

It is nice to hear some rational thoughts on this.

I haven't ever had a problems with ticks in my area in the 40 odd years I have had dogs, but it was something that I was interested in preventing for when we do go camping. I worry about my ability to do a good thorough search on a Siberian Husky due to the nature of his double coat. It is very hard to get a glimpse of the skin - but that is mainly due to me I guess, and will probably get easier when he grows up a bit and becomes less puppy-excited at everything going on around him.

I am glad you posted the warning about Rose Geranium Oil attracting the bees as my boy is recovering from a very nasty facial swelling from a bee sting last week and I would hate to have to go through another course of Prednisolone if this happens again.

I am happy to keep an open mind with natural remedies even though I had always previously thought of them to be a bit of hippy mumbo-jumbo. After nothing short of miraculous results from Slippery Elm and Calendula Tea, my mind has been opened to exploring further alternatives to chemicals. Having said that, my responsibility of the best care for my dog does not prejudice chemical compounds if needed.

I haven't ever had a problems with ticks in my area in the 40 odd years I have had dogs, but it was something that I was interested in preventing for when we do go camping. I worry about my ability to do a good thorough search on a Siberian Husky due to the nature of his double coat. It is very hard to get a glimpse of the skin - but that is mainly due to me I guess, and will probably get easier when he grows up a bit and becomes less puppy-excited at everything going on around him.

I am glad you posted the warning about Rose Geranium Oil attracting the bees as my boy is recovering from a very nasty facial swelling from a bee sting last week and I would hate to have to go through another course of Prednisolone if this happens again.

I am happy to keep an open mind with natural remedies even though I had always previously thought of them to be a bit of hippy mumbo-jumbo. After nothing short of miraculous results from Slippery Elm and Calendula Tea, my mind has been opened to exploring further alternatives to chemicals. Having said that, my responsibility of the best care for my dog does not prejudice chemical compounds if needed.

Lots of them are hippy mumbo jumbo and loads of people run off and buy them - rescue remedy is a prime example.

Just to clarify, essential oils are actually chemicals :)

Yeah I am aware of that :D just couldn't think of a better way to describe what I meant. Maybe - pharmaceutical prescribed medications would fit better? :)

Lots of them are hippy mumbo jumbo and loads of people run off and buy them - rescue remedy is a prime example.

:D

sigh...

Sigh all you like. When you can produce some evidence that rose geranium oil provides an effective deterrent to paralysis ticks, you'll have my complete and undivided attention. People in the USA don't have their dogs' death as a side effect of using this oil as a tick preventative.

The fact that something Is "natural" is no guarantee of safety or efficacy for veterinary use. Many naturally occuring substances are highly toxic and what is safe for human use is not necessarily safe for dogs. I'd not more trust RG oil for tick prevention that I'd trust garlic for hydatit tapeworm prevention, or nosodes for parvo prevention no matter how often someone suggests it on an internet forum.

If

sigh...

Sigh all you like. When you can produce some evidence that rose geranium oil provides an effective deterrent to paralysis ticks, you'll have my complete and undivided attention. People in the USA don't have their dogs' death as a side effect of using this oil as a tick preventative.

The fact that something Is "natural" is no guarantee of safety or efficacy for veterinary use. Many naturally occuring substances are highly toxic and what is safe for human use is not necessarily safe for dogs. I'd not more trust RG oil for tick prevention that I'd trust garlic for hydatit tapeworm prevention, or nosodes for parvo prevention no matter how often someone suggests it on an internet forum.

If

I was unaware that on this internet discussion forum, one had to supply research data in order to share an idea that some may not have thought of or heard of??

No guarantees have been made, I merely sought to share something that seems to be widely used elsewhere. Isn't this what a forum is about?

I was given a similar recipe a few years ago from an agility competitor who lives in an extremely high tick area on the north coast. He has a large number of dogs, varying sizes and breeds, and absolutely swears by it. Said others visit with dogs who have had advantix etc put on them and they are pulling multiple ticks off each day. He is lucky to find one a year. He started off trying it on the JRT as she was easy to find ticks on, when she wasn't getting any he started trying it on some of his other smooth coated dogs and went from there as his confidence grew.

We don't have ticks here and I was never really brave enough to try it myself anyway, but there are people out there in Australia, in high paralysis tick areas who are swearing by it too. I also know of someone who used to use it on his newfoundlands on the south coast in a high tick area. I remember thinking he was a brave, brave man- but he never had an issue with ticks.

I will say though, I don't know the exact mixes these people were using or how they were applying it. Would it be more effective as a mist over the dog or spots on the collar?

I was given a similar recipe a few years ago from an agility competitor who lives in an extremely high tick area on the north coast. He has a large number of dogs, varying sizes and breeds, and absolutely swears by it. Said others visit with dogs who have had advantix etc put on them and they are pulling multiple ticks off each day. He is lucky to find one a year. He started off trying it on the JRT as she was easy to find ticks on, when she wasn't getting any he started trying it on some of his other smooth coated dogs and went from there as his confidence grew.

We don't have ticks here and I was never really brave enough to try it myself anyway, but there are people out there in Australia, in high paralysis tick areas who are swearing by it too. I also know of someone who used to use it on his newfoundlands on the south coast in a high tick area. I remember thinking he was a brave, brave man- but he never had an issue with ticks.

I will say though, I don't know the exact mixes these people were using or how they were applying it. Would it be more effective as a mist over the dog or spots on the collar?

It depends on how healthy the dog is, how big the dog is, what kind of fur it has and what the dog does and where it goes.

You can use it as a spritz or an all over oil or on a collar or bandanna etc My Link