What's The Worst Reaction Somebody Has Had To You Dog?

dididog

Thanks Tibbie :)

I replied above to your other question, just flicking back to responses and realised I edited the thanks to Terri and missed the question - so yeah , unfortunately I just need to be hyper alert for a while :mad

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an off-leash dog park I had someone glare at my two dogs who were just walking next to me, sniffing at the ground and random things, then picked up their puppy (who looked too young to be off leash in a dog park, IMO) and did a wide loop away from us as though the pugs were about to leap out and eat it :laugh:

I guess if you haven'y heard a pug snuffling before it might sound odd, but if you're that worried about being eaten by a small dog - don't take your pup to the park!

If you don't mind, could you please PM me the street to avoid?

We are moving in a couple of months, I no longer feel safe in this area, it seems to have changed so much in just a few years :(

I will PM you now :)

Geez Yonjuro, hope you never have to deal with that again. It's scary to think people can get so upset over a husky pup.

Mind you I had a little ball of fluff GSD pup bail up a woman and her SWF. Workmen had left my gate open and I think she only walked towards the woman because she was acting oddly. So I guess fear is a powerful thing.

Worst thing has just been people trying to kick her or start screaming and waving their arms around (usually with something interesting like a stick in their hand while at a dog park).

It didn't worry me much with my old girl as she was hard to upset but I hope no one does anything to my young GSD as he is such a soft soul.

I have a friend who lives in Korea but came over to study for a few months(we made friends when she asked me how to make a bus stop). Anyway she wanted to meet my dogs as she loved big dogs. However when she met my cat she was terrified as she thought he was huge. I suggested maybe meeting the dogs might be a bit much and she couldn't believe they were bigger (I don't know what she meant by "big dogs" :laugh: She did eventually get close enough to watch them but it took a while. She was scared of birds too. She said you just didn't see animals like that in the city she was from.

I have had some good experiences though. Especially with Jerry Lee. He seems to have a way with frightened kids and has helped a few local kids get over their fear. I love how surprised they are at how soft his fur is on his ears.

Kelpies seem to get a bad rap ... Sasha my Kelpie is friendly to people and dogs and yet I see people's reactions when we are walking etc.. I haven't had a bad reaction but I see the look on people's faces..it's sad really because she has the most amazing temperament.

I have the church pastor living next door, who is clearly terrified of dogs, and he has put his fear on his 4 children.

he shields them with his body all huddled up if I walk past them.

Whats sad is the little boy used to walk down the drive interested as I walked past, until he was cleary told what to do, the next time he saw me ,he screamed ( frightened the life out of me), shouted "dog" and ran upto the mum in the garge who said "well done". wtf is she teaching him? :mad

I have people cross the road to avoid us most days,the odd abusive comment," will they eat us" etc.

I had an encounter with some kids at the lake recently, they came over and wanted to pat the dogs ,but were terrified, I stood them all calmly and gradually they patted the very back of them ,touching, then leaping back, they asked me all about them, and I tried to tell them as much as I could and how to be calm etc. they were all about 10ish I would say.

In an off-leash dog park I had someone glare at my two dogs who were just walking next to me, sniffing at the ground and random things, then picked up their puppy (who looked too young to be off leash in a dog park, IMO) and did a wide loop away from us as though the pugs were about to leap out and eat it :laugh:

I guess if you haven'y heard a pug snuffling before it might sound odd, but if you're that worried about being eaten by a small dog - don't take your pup to the park!

Zig's first interaction with pugs was at the vets and there were two very friendly (and snuffly) pugs who came towards him..

The big staffy cross leapt under the chairs and wouldn't come out :)

After they had seen the vets, they all met again in the waiting room and he thought they were great..

I don't really get bad reactions with the Borzoi, few people are scared by them. I did have one workman who was and told me my old girl could 'bring a man down'. She tried to win him over by giving him biscuits and toys, and he softened a little.

A bunch of kids at the local oval panicked when I had my younger one off lead down there, it is a legal off lead area. I put her on lead and went and asked what was wrong. Their dad was great, explained they never saw dogs except feral ones where they were from, they were Somali. By the time we parted the kids were yelling out goodbyes to the dog, very sweet.

I used to get more reaction when I had Belgian Shepherds. People who were very comfortable with the much bigger Borzoi would take fright at the Belgians and tell me they were wolves.

I haven't had a bad reaction to my pup yet. What annoys me is that people come up to her and just randomly start patting her saying how cute she is without asking permission to pat her, and people assuming that she's a boy (uh, just ask if she's a girl or a boy - plus she has a pink leash).

Brother in law brought his new wife and grandson to visit us on the farm.

My dogs are large, but very well behaved. They have free run inside and out. The wife was horrified and kept making pointed comments about the dog being inside. I ignored them. Its my dogs home, she was behaving perfectly and not frightening or annoying anyone. The poor little boy couldn't even play outside 'cos there might be "Poo Poo".( maybe from the chooks,not the dogs who go 50 yards away from the house) The new wife has never been back.

Had visitor recently barking at the dogs when they met for the 1st time. :confused:

I had a friend from a mothers group refuse to visit with the other parents unless I put my 8-9week old lapphund outside. He was in a soft crate anyway to protect him from the kids :laugh: According to her you just can't trust dogs at all even pups.

I asked someone else to host cause there was no way he was getting kicked out for that long.

I get the pit bull thing which I suppose is standard for anyone with a barrel shaped dog. I have to play nice because if his reactivity but I always want to say " no he's not a pit bull he's a bullsh tedectir terrier or a Pre -judicepointer or maybe a ignoramus notifier or some such designer breed.

Haven't had any horrible reactions, just one that sticks out was a woman who had a fear of dogs. I was at the shops with mine dressed up in Christmas gear. She came and sat next to me and the dog and smiled and just said "I have a fear of dogs, I don't want to pat yours, but I think he looks cute". She was sitting about half a meter away from him just smiling to herself. Scout ignored her [didn't go to her for his normal give me lots of pats].

That's kinda nice... hopefully you helped her take a little step closer to not being afraid of dogs. :-)

Thanks Malakita, It all happened so fast that I really didn't have a chance avoid the ugly scene. I just goes to show that you never can tell the mental state of some people at face value. I now will just carry some pepper spray on walks and hopefully deter and avoid any physical violence and face the penally for using a spray in the highly unlikely situation, should it arise. It is in the pocket of the treat bag also for when my wife walks our dog.

Urghhh... just typing this is making me feel ill by re-living something I am trying hard to stop thinking about.

Oh my gosh how terrible!!! :( Glad that you're ok though (more or less). Are you male or female?

Thanks Malakita, It all happened so fast that I really didn't have a chance avoid the ugly scene. I just goes to show that you never can tell the mental state of some people at face value. I now will just carry some pepper spray on walks and hopefully deter and avoid any physical violence and face the penally for using a spray in the highly unlikely situation, should it arise. It is in the pocket of the treat bag also for when my wife walks our dog.

Urghhh... just typing this is making me feel ill by re-living something I am trying hard to stop thinking about.

Oh my gosh how terrible!!! :( Glad that you're ok though (more or less). Are you male or female?

Thanks, and I am a bloke :D

The funniest reaction I used to get was many years ago when I owned a staffy and my now ex owned a brit bulldog. We would walk along the footpath and people would literally cross the road to walk around us. These were the friendliest dogs you would ever meet lol

My ridgeback x is a little over friendly when he sees people so when we go for our walks and I see people approaching, I put him in a sit and wait, so he sits calmly and lets people pass without trying to say hello to them. Most people take a wide berth though, yet if I keep walking him they dont lol

I've always had good reactions to Trixie. Older people especially seem to like her.

People would often cross the road to avoid Boodzey.

Funnily enough Trixie is more likely to bite someone than Boodzey. Boodz would love you to death, poor boy he would just watch the person move across the street disappointed that he wouldn't get pats.

Owning a small fluffy Sheltie, I don't get many negative reactions or people that are scared.

The "worst" reaction I got was from a Foxtel technician - he refused to come in before I removed Chase from the door. He didn't say hi to Chase or let him smell him, so of course Chase found that very suspicious and just glared at the technician the entire time he was in the house and growled quietly. Then the technician had to go into the backyard, and when he had a hand on patio door he turned around to me and said "You don't have any more out there, do you..??"