What's The Worst Reaction Somebody Has Had To You Dog?

dididog

An African man said to be last week when I was walking my Siberian Husky puppy, that my dog was illegal and he was going to kill me and my dog.

Morons like that are best dealt with by ignoring them if you can.

People who are walking their dogs are prone to crossing the road when I am walking with mine, which is fine because if they don't, I do.

People who don't have dogs when we are out and about tend to just ignore the mastiff x, which is fine by her as she ignores them. The SBT, well, she wants to go for a look when we walk pass them but I won't let her because I am mean :laugh:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was walking my Rottie on lead through a small walk through park near my home I had some guy who was coming towards me walking what looked like a scungy mop, yelling at me saying it was the law that all Rottweilers must be muzzled in public in Victoria. I was foolish enough to argue the point with him.

My Rottie completely ignored the frantic barking, screaming and pulling on lead of the mop. At least we could see which was the pointy end of the mop when it started pulling on the lead.

I walked off with this man still yelling and threating to report me.

An African man said to be last week when I was walking my Siberian Husky puppy, that my dog was illegal and he was going to kill me and my dog.

When African people say they are going to kill you I suggest you pay attention. Life is dirt cheap in Africa and that is how many problems are solved.

PS: Before the do gooders start screaming racist I am African myself and have a teeny bit of experience with this.

I'm glad everyone seems to only get these reactions occasionally!I'm beginning to get nervous on walks because I hate confrontation and I know at the moment Didi is likely to freak out over little things. Luckily after most of my bad incidents with people I get a good one, like after the incident with the child these two girls from the dog park ran across the road to give Didi a cuddle because they recognised her which I think made Didi forget what just happened. Then straight after the mother who yelled at us for scaring her kids we walked passed a mother with a toddler in a pram who kept saying things like "Look there's a doggy! Look how nice the doggy is, isn't it a pretty doggy!" as we walked passed which cheered me up a bit.

Another one I found slightly amusing was I was getting off the train at Flinders Street Station and there were those typical people who crowd around the doors on the platform as if they expect to get on before everyone else can get off and because you couldn't see Didi through the doors when we stepped off everyone scrambled out of my way gasping in surprise.

Be very careful. Dogs on Melbourne trains need to be muzzled.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/getting-around/luggage-bikes-and-animals/animals-on-public-transport/

A weird reaction I had while walking my GSD through a market. Two kids started crying a few metres in front. I assumed it was my dog and just in case it was I stopped and went right to the edge of the path so my dog could sit and they could get past easily. I even turned his head between my knees so they couldn't see his face in case that scared them. The father walked up and I waited for the abuse about having a big dog at the markets, even though it is a dog-friendly market. He asked if his children could pat my dog as they were crying because he had said they couldn't. I said, of course. And the kids immediately lost the tears and stood in front patting his head and holding his paws when he lifted them up to shake. I gave them some treats to give him and told them to say, sit and drop. They were so happy when he did. Even the baby was wheeled over in the pram and leaned out to pat him. How different peoples reactions are.

Something I am confused about - the idea that Muslim people hate dogs. I was always told they thought dog saliva was dirty and they hated dogs etc. But my dogs breeder was Muslim and he treated his dogs well, as did the ladies I saw at the house. No idea if they were wives, but everyone was nice and clearly loved the dogs. There were also children running around playing with the puppies. I just googled Muslim and dog and went to this page http://islam.about.com/od/islamsays/a/Dogs-In-Islam.htm. Rather than post the whole lot, if it interests you, read it. Goes both ways and actually explains why so many stories of fear and dogs amongst this part of the community.

I was at a dog training talk once about sniffer dogs and the guy said the beagles are often badly hurt by being kicked and bags smashed against them. Mainly by older ladies new to the country who don't know what sniffer dogs are and resent a dog going near their luggage.

Dory: I've had screaming and running away. Also had one guy drop to his knees and carry on about dogs attacking him. Dory was completely uninterested in him, until he drop to his knees shouting. Then he tried to hit and kick her, which made everything a whole lot worse. :mad

Willow: Queried as to why I would want to own 'one of those things', bit my tongue, but really wanted to say, so people like you will cross the road and leave me alone. Last weekend was probably the most interesting reaction. I had her in a down and I was kneeling beside her to keep her there whilst randomly giving her treats. This guy kept giving us weird looks, he seemed a bit shifty and shady, I was feeling a bit anxious about him myself, but there were other people around so not too concerned. He then started to walk towards us and very nervously told me he was going to walk past. Then I realised he was totally terrified of Willow. Most people just ignore us or walk around us though.

Just to add, saw Hermon's friend this afternoon. DH got to see first hand. She was gardening, came down, ran to put her gloves and the weeds down, and came to meet him. Eye contact, pats, the greyhound lean and neck cuddle and a hug from the human.

It isn't all bad, is it?

worst reaction has been screaming and cowering from a 'white' electricity meter reader girl

:laugh: yeah, you gotta watch those electricity meter readers

Worst reaction I have had to Zig was a silly woman taking our photo in the park (he was on lead) and telling me she was going to report me as 'those' dogs are supposed to wear muzzles..

I'm glad everyone seems to only get these reactions occasionally!I'm beginning to get nervous on walks because I hate confrontation and I know at the moment Didi is likely to freak out over little things. Luckily after most of my bad incidents with people I get a good one, like after the incident with the child these two girls from the dog park ran across the road to give Didi a cuddle because they recognised her which I think made Didi forget what just happened. Then straight after the mother who yelled at us for scaring her kids we walked passed a mother with a toddler in a pram who kept saying things like "Look there's a doggy! Look how nice the doggy is, isn't it a pretty doggy!" as we walked passed which cheered me up a bit.

Another one I found slightly amusing was I was getting off the train at Flinders Street Station and there were those typical people who crowd around the doors on the platform as if they expect to get on before everyone else can get off and because you couldn't see Didi through the doors when we stepped off everyone scrambled out of my way gasping in surprise.

Be very careful. Dogs on Melbourne trains need to be muzzled.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/getting-around/luggage-bikes-and-animals/animals-on-public-transport/

Yep I know, I don't bother using the train now, barely anybody abides by the rule and I've never been pulled up on it but I don't want to risk a fine.

Edited by Terri S.

Just to add, saw Hermon's friend this afternoon. DH got to see first hand. She was gardening, came down, ran to put her gloves and the weeds down, and came to meet him. Eye contact, pats, the greyhound lean and neck cuddle and a hug from the human.

It isn't all bad, is it?

Hermon's friend and their cuddles sound very sweet :) It's fortunate that for every bad experience they're are plenty of good ones otherwise I'd be feeling pretty disheartened going out.

When African people say they are going to kill you I suggest you pay attention. Life is dirt cheap in Africa and that is how many problems are solved.

PS: Before the do gooders start screaming racist I am African myself and have a teeny bit of experience with this.

'

I did pay attention and things got very ugly. Blows were exchanged - police were notified.

Some kids yelling and pointing to my Mal saying "that dog will RIP YOUR ARM OFF!" As I got her out of my car :confused: :laugh: and a random who once came up to me and said that I should "put some pit bull" into her and she'd make a great pigging dog. Delightful.

Oh my gosh! How scary! Were you and your puppy ok? I felt scared for you after reading your post. Then felt more worried after reading Canetoad's post.

And that article was an interesting read too.

Yes, Ronin is fine and I am pretty okay thanks. It was horrible, you just don't expect this type of thing to happen when taking your dog for a relaxing Sunday afternoon walk. He came back with a mace/club like weapon and I now have a couple of small fractures in my back and I had to fight him into him submitting and giving up. It kind of freaks me out talking about this now when it is still pretty raw in my mind.

OMG!!!!! Now I am just plain horrified! What sort of person does that to a random person (you) who is just minding their business walking their dog???

I really hope you are ok and that the police has been hard on the other person.

I am sorry you had to go through what you did! Absolutely terrifying!

Thanks Malakita, It all happened so fast that I really didn't have a chance avoid the ugly scene. I just goes to show that you never can tell the mental state of some people at face value. I now will just carry some pepper spray on walks and hopefully deter and avoid any physical violence and face the penally for using a spray in the highly unlikely situation, should it arise. It is in the pocket of the treat bag also for when my wife walks our dog.

Urghhh... just typing this is making me feel ill by re-living something I am trying hard to stop thinking about.

Wow Yonjuro that is so horrible, I am glad you and your puppy were not seriously hurt, although the fractures sound terrible enough. Hoping you recover from the ordeal, the world's a scary place sometimes :mad

Thanks Malakita, It all happened so fast that I really didn't have a chance avoid the ugly scene. I just goes to show that you never can tell the mental state of some people at face value. I now will just carry some pepper spray on walks and hopefully deter and avoid any physical violence and face the penally for using a spray in the highly unlikely situation, should it arise. It is in the pocket of the treat bag also for when my wife walks our dog.

Urghhh... just typing this is making me feel ill by re-living something I am trying hard to stop thinking about.

Omg!! Hope you are ok?! Sorry to ask questions when you are trying to forget it, but was this in your suburb? I live close and have had a few times when I haven't felt comfortable and I have lots of friends who also walk locally a lot. Scary stuff :(

Thanks Terri S! :)

Yes, it is my area, unfortunately I don't know where the chap lives but it is only on a route that I seldom take, and won't be taking again for a while.

Edited by Yonjuro