A Silly Question?

Badbee

My pugs definitely react differently to pugs (and other brachy breeds), they much prefer playing with their "own kind" and we notice a lot in the park another pug will come running up, past other dogs, to say hi to us.

I always thought it might be partly because some dogs don't quite "get" pugs, they make odd noises and their curly tails can be confusing, so it's easier to stick with other squishies :laugh:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I had a bitch years ago who was badly attacked at a show by two dogs of other breeds at the same time. She was a pup, the other two slipped their leads, being walked by the same person. She refused to have anything to do with any breed except her own from then on. Ironically, she was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. :laugh:

Stevie always knows both Labs and Goldens. She even got excited by something resembling a white sheep (big Lab x Poodle) and often other crosses, so it's not just the shape.

Sammy thinks finding another Lab at the park is like winning Lotto. He can run up like a maniac* and be welcomed! He scrunches down and goes in bum first with other dogs, but it's ON with a Lab!

*he has good recall and we do the nodding and circle-finger-sign first

ETA Jodie is a Kelpie and doesn't know why we need to meet other dogs when there is serious tennis ball to do.

Edited by Comrade Catdogs

No question that Goldens recognise other Goldens- mine always used to go nuts when she was a puppy and she saw another Golden, more nuts than she went for any other breed. She's more restrained now but she always greets another Golden with great interest and a big tail wag.

She also can pick out another Golden from a long distance, the ears go up, she gets very alert and she follows it's progress across the park, obviously hoping it will come over to visit with her.

My Lab wants to play with EVERYONE... *sigh*

My Staffy/Dane really loves small scruffies... like 3kg small... and she's 30kg! She plays with smalls so gently though - lays down and lets them belt her up. I think it's because as a pup her bestie in the whole wide world was a small scruffy mad terrier. She worked out that play with them worked better if she was laying down... watching a 20kg pup play bitey face with a dog she can swallow in one gulp is an eye-opener, I can tell you!

T.

Actually my dog prefers funny looking dogs or squishy faced dogs for some reason. She gets very excited by frenchies, boston terriers, pugs and schnauzers for some reason. Also entire dogs, but thats another story...little tart :laugh:

Otherwise she's pretty antisocial and will try to ignore attempts by other labs to play with her. She'd rather play with her ball.

Thanks everyone, it's really interesting to read all the replies here. Abby is happy to have a smell and play with other dogs but we haven't really come across any other miniature schnauzers in Wollongong as yet. Will keep looking.

My old Dobe was breedist. He hated SBT's and Rotties but loved other Dobes and funnily enough he really liked the large Spitz breeds.

My Bulldogs are pretty friendly with everyone they meet but are definitely wary of much larger breeds. Lots of people (and their dogs) aren't sure what to make of all the snuffling and grunting they do. They definitely recognise other Bulldogs though and get very excited and love to play with each other. We also met a Frenchie on a walk and he and Arnold really hit it off :)

I imagine so. My brothers GSD recognised my dad's GSD the day my dad brought my brothers dog home. He would go up to my dad's GSD and try and play with him and sit when them.

My border collie hasn't come across other BCs yet but she loves my brother's GSD who was from the same breeder.

Border Collies are very much breed snobs and much prefer their own breed. They can spot another Border over a long distance, even at a dog show with dogs everywhere. They get on pretty good with Kelpies as well and mine have all liked Shelties too. The boy I have now has a passion for Poms, especially baby puppy poms. He goes nuts when he sees them and wants to nuzzle them gently.

Edited by dancinbcs