Dog Attack In Wendouree

dezzyno.1

Guest Clover

I have not walked my guys from home to the local park in over 12 months, it is just not worth the risk :(.

• 1 month later...

People are breeding Cane Corso's and Tibetan bloody Mastiff's in Australia. You think an AB is exotic? My neighbours got a female. Her name's Honey and she's incredibly frightening if she finds you on the street alone - daytime or not. Not a fan of the old AB's too much muscle.

danielleheather have you actually met any Cane Corso or Tibetan Mastiff? Lovely dogs. See them at the shows all the time. Fabulous with the right owners (just as my breed is). If you have a look on the DOL breed pages you will find links to breeders of these wonderful dogs.....

I'd guess boxer X something, maybe staffie mix or AmStaff. Given the location, American bulldog seems exotic.

Personally, I miss the old days when dogs were allowed to wander. But there has to be some way to deal with the small fraction of dogs who attack people or other animals.. . .or, rather, with their owners.

I don't know about where you are but in Tasmania, "American bulldogs" are the latest fad for idiot owners and backyard breeders. A casual glance through the local pet buy/sell pages turns up several current litters and they're everywhere. They're generally advertised as being "good guard dogs" and "good family pets" but in truth, given how carelessly they're bred, I'd guess most of those dogs would just as soon as rip their owner a new orifice as they would an intruder.

And yes, most look almost identical to that dog, right down to the horrid, wonky shape.

I'd guess boxer X something, maybe staffie mix or AmStaff. Given the location, American bulldog seems exotic.

Personally, I miss the old days when dogs were allowed to wander. But there has to be some way to deal with the small fraction of dogs who attack people or other animals.. . .or, rather, with their owners.

It's an American Bulldog (southern). There are thousands of them here. They have been here for years. Some are registered with the registry in US, some are byb.

Whatever it was, that wasn't the problem. The problem was that it was wandering around without a lead and without anyone in control. If the shire doesn't have lead laws, they should have. And the owner of this dog should be fined.

Edited by Jed

I don't know about where you are but in Tasmania, "American bulldogs" are the latest fad for idiot owners and backyard breeders. A casual glance through the local pet buy/sell pages turns up several current litters and they're everywhere. They're generally advertised as being "good guard dogs" and "good family pets" but in truth, given how carelessly they're bred, I'd guess most of those dogs would just as soon as rip their owner a new orifice as they would an intruder.

And yes, most look almost identical to that dog, right down to the horrid, wonky shape.

Ik what you mean about those buy/sell groups. I joined one to sell a bird cage and they are just inundated with stuffy pups and ppl crossing AST with "English" staffs. You trying telling these idiots there is no such breed as an English staffs :banghead:

Ik what you mean about those buy/sell groups. I joined one to sell a bird cage and they are just inundated with stuffy pups and ppl crossing AST with "English" staffs. You trying telling these idiots there is no such breed as an English staffs :banghead:

I try not to look because they give me a terrible case of the rages.

"Herpderpy, i r looken 4 a maltease-shitzo to bread wit my pomerarmium staffy. must b able to deliver. pay $50"

I try not to look because they give me a terrible case of the rages.

"Herpderpy, i r looken 4 a maltease-shitzo to bread wit my pomerarmium staffy. must b able to deliver. pay $50"

Geez some people :mad:banghead:

It's an American Bulldog (southern). There are thousands of them here. They have been here for years. Some are registered with the registry in US, some are byb.

Whatever it was, that wasn't the problem. The problem was that it was wandering around without a lead and without anyone in control. If the shire doesn't have lead laws, they should have. And the owner of this dog should be fined.

Jed the rangers and the council are trying to bring in leash laws with designated areas for dogs to be off leash but there are a number of people who have said that they will not put their dogs on leash.....I hope that the law is brought in for dogs to be on leash except for those areas that they do not have to be.....one of the areas is down near a pony club which is ridiculous as there is no fencing and I am sure some dogs will have great pleasure in chasing the horses....it is still being decided at the moment so we are waiting to hear what the council are planning to do :)

Jed the rangers and the council are trying to bring in leash laws with designated areas for dogs to be off leash but there are a number of people who have said that they will not put their dogs on leash.....I hope that the law is brought in for dogs to be on leash except for those areas that they do not have to be.....one of the areas is down near a pony club which is ridiculous as there is no fencing and I am sure some dogs will have great pleasure in chasing the horses....it is still being decided at the moment so we are waiting to hear what the council are planning to do :)

I really hope we get some decent leash laws here. We desperately need them, but with it we do need some decent off leash areas.

I really hope we get some decent leash laws here. We desperately need them, but with it we do need some decent off leash areas.

In Victoria local councils are responsible for leash laws. What council are you in that has no leash laws? The City of Monash where I live has leash laws and plenty of large off leash parks.

In Victoria local councils are responsible for leash laws. What council are you in that has no leash laws? The City of Monash where I live has leash laws and plenty of large off leash parks.

Ballarat.

That is horrendous :( No way could I live there with no leash laws :eek: after just having my muzzled greyhounds attacked that would be a nightmare!

Agree, even without the muzzled dogs.

I'd go mad, how could you leave the house?!

Just asking for trouble, as awful as it is perhaps this will at least be the catalyst for (positive) change.

Agree, too.