Omg!

Loving my Oldies

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very horrible. From the radio report it sounded like the dog was resident on the property where the attack occurred, or belonged to a family member.

Edited to add: according to the SMH the dog belonged to the victim's 70 year old daughter, who received injuries to her hands. Two strangers intervened to get the dog off. Sounded terrible.

Edited by Diva

From the news reports, the dog (APBT) attacked the older woman around her face and neck area, and her daughter (the dog's owner) received puncture wounds to her hands trying to get the dog off her mother. Two men were walking down a nearby street and heard the screaming - they had just been to the bottleshop and had to resort to smashing beer bottles over the dog's head to loosen it's grip. Both women are in hospital and the dog has apparently been destroyed (thank goodness). Absolutely horrifying for all concerned.

Just saw it on the news :cry: Very brave of the father and son that smashed it with the six pack they had and then the son dragged it inside and locked it in. The dog has been PTS and the 92 year old is still critical :(

Edited by HazyWal

Yes, I heard neighbours being interviewed as well. Seems like the situation was an accident waiting to happen - such horror that poor lady must have gone through and will be suffering a long time yet, probably for the rest of her life. I know from personal experience how painful dog bites are and how long, if ever, elderly skin and flesh takes to heal.

There should be an investigation protocol after serious or fatal dog attacks.... just as there's a protocol to go thro' following car accidents to sift out what contributed. And the authorities could then report on the findings which would educate for public safety.

Start with risk factors...

The elderly along with the very young are in the greatest risk groups for dog bites/attacks.

Look at the dog's behavioural history. Was it known for menacingly aggressive behaviour towards people. One neighbour claimed it was a concern for people passing by....would investigators find more than one person giving such a witness statement.

Experts in dog behaviour/owner management could sift out more.

Learning from horrible incidents like this, might help prevent similar in the future.

Edited by mita

You only have to look at HazyWal's experience with her council when her dogs were attacked to realise that whether there are protocols in place or not, in the final analysis, the correct authorities need to have the will to act.

All in all, it is pretty poor. I for one would be happy to see Council's get the chop :mad . Individuals and communities will continue to suffer while C\ouncillors feather their own nests or, if not that, do as little as possible.

Very horrible. From the radio report it sounded like the dog was resident on the property where the attack occurred, or belonged to a family member.

Edited to add: according to the SMH the dog belonged to the victim's 70 year old daughter, who received injuries to her hands. Two strangers intervened to get the dog off. Sounded terrible.

The dog belonged to the grandson of the victim.

I hope the woman recovers, it must have been terrifying for all involved :/

An update to the article about the 92 year old woman states that last night a man has had his hand ripped apart by a pitbull that attacked his dog:

Australian Article

The article actually states that the dog was described (presumably by the victim only as the owner ran away with his dog afterwards) as a Rottweiler or Pit Bull. With two very different breeds having been described I find it incredibly hard to understand how any self respecting editor can run with the headline "Man’s hand ripped apart by pit bull ... " and a photo caption that reads "It appears that the pit bull may have first attacked the injured mans dog and the injured man tried to help it".

Edited by ruthless

Just lost a reply somewhere so apologies in advance if this comes in as a double post.

It is very difficult for a frail elderly person to recover from an attack such as this.

This aspect is usually given almost no air play and is an aspect that I suspect does not occupy the thoughts of too many dog owners.

The deed in this instance was horrific. The breed? Any strong dog with teeth has the capacity to cause enormous damage and this is part of the reason why dogs must be under the control of a responsible person.

Edited by Souff

Just lost a reply somewhere so apologies in advance if this comes in as a double post.

It is very difficult for a frail elderly person to recover from an attack such as this.

This aspect is usually given almost no air play and is an aspect that I suspect does not occupy the thoughts of too many dog owners.

The deed in this instance was horrific. The breed? Any strong dog with teeth has the capacity to cause enormous damage and this is part of the reason why dogs must be under the control of a responsible person.

This is true. I work at a doggy daycare and was bitten the other day, on my knee, by a spoodle, probably springer spaniel sized, so larger than some spoodles you see. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time as it went for another dog someone let through the gate and it got my knee instead.

It hurt! and has left a fairly decent bruise, and two puncture wounds. I can't imagine how easily a dog would tear through the skin of an elderly lady such as this :(

We also promptly sent the dog home for being dog aggressive. It was a new dog we had never had in, and never will have in again. Just goes to show that not just 'pitbulls' attack..

ETA: Lucy the staffy promptly came up and 'cleaned' my knee for me. Vicious dog she is :laugh:

Edited by denali