Omg!

Loving my Oldies

I don't know about anyone else, but I am finding it hard to get this lady out of my mind. Remember the other thread where the jogger was jumped on by two dogs and the photographs of her face afterwards? Those dogs were on a lead and, although I don't know the full story, probably made only the one contact before being pulled back, but that woman was really badly wounded.

Can you imagine the state this elderly lady must be in. Because of injuries from dog bites, gardening, etc, my right arms looks as though I might have been indulging in some self harm over the years :( - the smallest scratch seems to leave a scar these days on my ageing flesh.

I am not being a ghoul, but it crossed my mind yesterday that photographs of this lady might give some people a terrible shock and make them realise the damage dogs can do - whether by accident or intent. Of course action like that can backfire, but how on earth do you get people to understand the responsibility of owning dogs?

It really is awful. I've been thinking about her a lot. Does anyone know if she's still critical?

Re the bolded part - while our society continues to focus on 'breed' as the sole reason for dog attacks, what you describe won't get people to understand the responsibility of owning dogs. The general dog population will not think it applies to them because their dog isn't a 'pit bull', and therefore their dog couldn't possibly hurt anyone or anything. They will continue to be complacent and these incidents will continue to occur.

It's only once we start focusing on and educating based on what studies have found are the main contributors to serious dog attacks (of which we can already see there are a few in this situation), rather than 'breed', that we will see improvement.

Agree 100%.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell you how many people have said, in their representations for a menacing or dangerous NOI following their dog attacking another dog or a person, that it shouldn't be declared dangerous/menacing because it 'isn't a Pit Bull/dangerous breed'. Even when the dog has actually caused injury, it still isn't seen as a real problem by its owner because people think attacks are a breed issue and a breed issue alone. Is there any wonder dog attacks increase in places with BSL?

Edited by melzawelza

I can't tell you how many people have said, in their representations for a menacing or dangerous NOI following their dog attacking another dog or a person, that it shouldn't be declared dangerous/menacing because it 'isn't a Pit Bull/dangerous breed'. Even when the dog has actually caused injury, it still isn't seen as a real problem by its owner because people think attacks are a breed issue and a breed issue alone. Is there any wonder dog attacks increase in places with BSL?

I have no doubt people would say that in their representations and am quite sure that's what the dipshit who owns the dogs that attacked mine will say in hers.

I live in the area where the dog attack occurred.

I spoke to someone yesterday who was at the scene after the dog attack happened and was with the lady ( Irene) while waiting for the ambulance.

Her injuries were pretty horrible and yesterday she was in an induced coma, but apparently she is stable now.

The dog was in the front yard and Irene was coming home from church and walked into her front yard when the attack occurred.That's all the details I know about the circumstances so far.

The dog was her grandsons. The grandson is allegedly a drug dealer and is known to the police.(this is not gossip, it comes from a reliable source).

At the time of the attack there was only the one dog on the property.

The Sunday Night program are trying to do a story on the attack, but it may end up on 7 news, if it goes to air at all.

Just saw a report on Channel 9. The dog was an American Pit Bull incorrectly registered as another breed ( I think they said Australin Terrier) with the Council by a vet.

The dog was registered to the woman's grandson, 2 dogs belonging to him had been previously euthanised for attacking a police officer. The grandson is serving a gaol term for drug dealing. There were 2 other dogs registered as living at the house but they have disappeared.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen - and where have the missing dogs gone off to?

I'm glad I'm not alone :( . I was wondering whether I was becoming a bit obsessive.

In today's society we seem to be very unhelpfully focussed on finding a single point of blame, sadly, thus the focus on breed rather than education.

Definitely not alone and definitely not obsessive. Advertisements with graphic photography showing before and after could be very useful reminders (in public places) that we dog owners all need to be responsible and not allow our animals to inflict damage on vulnerable people, or on anyone else for that matter.

Dangerous dog messages seem to be regarded as being for somebody else's problem.

Do not wish to seem harsh but both of the women living at this address (and possibly other family members) must have known there were risk factors, but I guess they thought that the dogs would never turn on them. :(

And yet in the right hands, owned and managed by the right people, those dogs would probably have never presented a problem. Unfortunately for that breed some mighty fine muppets are attracted to them, I watched a short vid doing the rounds of two stoned teenage girls beating one around the head, if the dog isnt taken away it has no chance.

And yet in the right hands, owned and managed by the right people, those dogs would probably have never presented a problem.

Yes. Same can be said of guns and hunting knives. In the wrong hands a lot of damage can be done in a short space of time.

Cannot agree with your use of the word "muppets" in this post ... Souff has long been a Jim Henson fan :laugh:

Edited by Souff