16 D Questions

So I have my application, I have a pound to back it up and the vet ready to sign off but have a few questions

How long before you sign the dog over to the new owner? If the dog is on trial can you keep it in your name until they decide? My trial is 2 weeks but am upping it to 4 is this going to cause issue?

Does the dog need to be registered at the foster homes address?

thanks in advance

I'm sure others more up to date than I can answer these questions, but when I was rescuing/rehoming, I had a contract, held over submitting the paperwork untl the end of the 2 weeks' trial. The contract had all the detail that could possibly be thought of (and then some LOL).

I haven't looked at it for a couple of years, but the website Rescue Rex had a section devoted to paperwork: forms etc. Might still be there.

I am pretty sure that somewhere within the Companion Animals Act all these sorts of requirements are detailed. I would have thought that if and when your application is approved all these questions would be answered in the accompanying paperwork.

I have never had a 16D myself: just worked with people/rescuers who did.

kinda it says

When an animal leaves the organisation’s care the organisation is required to complete a ‘C3B

Change of Owner: Processed by Animal Welfare Organisation or Council Pound’ form, and send it

within 14 days to the relevant local counci

so is that 14 days from the finalization of adoption or 14 days from when the dog leaves and goes on trial?

I have heard that the chip details need to be registered to where the animal is staying even if its a foster home but I dont see that there actually dont see anything about foster carers

Two weeks from when the dog leaves your care. Normally, form is signed, they give you the fee and take the dog. That's the beginning.

Lots of people do 3 - 4 wks even though it's not in the regulations and would be a technical foul.

You will need to have a list of registered carers. When a dog is processed out of impound the carer address goes in the 'address animal will be kept at'

(it's not worded exactly that way but I can't be bothered getting a P1A form out) if you don't have carers then your own address goes there.

Another thing just to keep in your knowledge bank: don't spend the adoption fee before the trial period is over LOL. If someone who has taken a dog on trial rings you and says it isn't working out, you will very quickly learn to diferentiate between those who have discovered a) they don't really want a dog, b) they don't want this particular dog c) are not interested in making it work and those who need a little bit of help and want that help.

With a), b) and c) I never bothered to ask questions, because I quickly realised it was a waste of time; I would just give them back the adoption fee and take the dog.

Just remembered you aren't new to the process, so you are probably totally aware of the pitfalls LOL.

Another thing just to keep in your knowledge bank: don't spend the adoption fee before the trial period is over LOL. If someone who has taken a dog on trial rings you and says it isn't working out, you will very quickly learn to diferentiate between those who have discovered a) they don't really want a dog, b) they don't want this particular dog c) are not interested in making it work and those who need a little bit of help and want that help.

With a), b) and c) I never bothered to ask questions, because I quickly realised it was a waste of time; I would just give them back the adoption fee and take the dog.

Just remembered you aren't new to the process, so you are probably totally aware of the pitfalls LOL.

Yeah I dont get many returns because I tend to be brutally honest about the dogs I place. I guess thats why they stay so long here. I have seen what deception can do and got reprimanded pretty bad when I told a potential adopter about one dogs issues and they didnt adopt him was told its not my rescue not my dogs so stop telling them anything negative :( I got screamed at for not letting a dog go that was sent to the kennels because I told her I needed to do a homecheck as she was juat down the road I told her it would be in a few days glad I dont work there anymore.

Edited to add I have a separate bnk account for the rescue so all the adoption fees go in there and sit

Edited by HappyCamper

I offered a 3 week trial period which meant I was 'technically' doing the wrong thing. However I felt very strongly that a 3 week trial period was better than 2.

All paperwork was signed by the adopter at the time but I did not fax the change of ownership form to my my local council until the three weeks had elapsed.

My routine may have differed from others though as I operated my rescue without an exemption clause.

Edited by ~Anne~

I offered a 3 week trial period which meant I was 'technically' doing the wrong thing. However I felt very strongly that a 3 week trial periodically was better than 2.

All paperwork was signed by the adopter at the time but I did not fax the change of ownership form to my my local council until the three weeks had elapsed.

My routine may have differed from others though as I operated my rescue without an exemption clause.

I have been too but some pounds require one and from what I have been told its not allowed to be shared so one rescue isnt suppose to use anothers 16d is this right?

Anne is 100% right but clauses are shared around anyway. Should be top of the list of your rescue's policies if you want to control desexing, care conditions and adoption process. No sharing.

I can tell you now that if I did apply for, and was granted, an exemption I would never have shared it. I am happy in the beleif that many don't share it Inappropriately.

I recall one Christmas Eve wanting to collect an aged pug from Blacktown. I was desperate to grab him as he was old, unwell, not desexed and we were heading into a period of extended public holidays and I was sure he would die there.

In desperation I rang Narelle and Paul from Paws'n'Hooves to see if they could get him released as I didn't have the funds being the day before Xmas and with the dog an entire male and not registered. I expected to be fostering him for them and to my relief and absolute delight, they insisted he was released under their care and I would only be a foster carer for him. I had always held them in high esteem and this strict compliance with their clause reinforced my respect.

I only wish all rescues acted with such integrity.

The clause should not be shared with others as a list of your groups carers details should be with the DLG and all the pounds you deal with so that any Joe blow cannot use it, if they are not on that list as a carer with you then you should not be sharing it around.

I was asked by another group if they could get a dog out under our clause and I said no, but what I did was get the dog out under my name and then do the change of chip papers, the pound knew I was doing this and it was fine but to have others get the dogs out in their name and they are not listed as being a member of that group is wrong in my eyes, you also have to keep those stats and if you don't have any paperwork it can get a bit tricky.

Also a major thing is "never give the change of chip papers to the new owners to take to their local council" as the will never remember to do it, I am aware of one person who did this and when they left the group they had just under 100 dogs still in their name, you can imagine the time it took her to chase up her paperwork.....

I think the trial period is up to the group themselves I don't think it is a rule as such, we have 2 weeks as I feel that is enough time to know if it is going to work, I am so anal with where my dogs go and can pretty well see in the first 10-15 minutes of the home visit if the dog is right for the family, I also have a fair idea from the initial phone call, I have had approx. 5-6 dogs returned out of 700 in 13 years so am pretty happy with those figures.

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

I submitted all of my own paperwork but still ended up with dogs remaining in my name that should have been transferred. Paperwork often goes astray.

I rang my local council every 6 months or so to check on what dogs were still registered to me.

I also paid the lifetime registration of all dogs I rehomed.

Oh yes. Forgotten that - it's been a while. Most important not to leave any paperwork for the new owner to do. You try not to leave anything to chance.

I used to physically take all the paperwork to the Council when I moved to my current home.

Keep notes and photocopies of everything.

Councils can be pretty slack too: I remember being told by someone (forget who and which council now) that all the change of owner forms were in a big box in a corner and if/when anybody felt like it, they'd enter a few in the database :mad

I submitted all of my own paperwork but still ended up with dogs remaining in my name that should have been transferred. Paperwork often goes astray.

I rang my local council every 6 months or so to check on what dogs were still registered to me.

Just asking, why do groups pay for the rego when we are exempt for 12 months under the clause 16(d)

Maree

CPR

Just asking, why do groups pay for the rego when we are exempt for 12 months under the clause 16(d)

Maree

CPR

I think it's one of the requirements of the Clause 16D. You are exempted from registering dogs in foster care for up to 12 months though.

Maree

CPR

As I have never investigated the requirements or exemptions of aClause 16(d), I didn't know that. But I always believed in doing as much as the paperwork as possible to ensure it actually gets done.