Border Collie Pup - Red Patch On Snout

Hi,

I am a new mumma to two puppies, one of which is developing a red patch on the area above her nose where there is only a little amount of white fur. It doesn't look right at all, the areas appears to be swelling and occasionally there are tiny bumps on the skin (although they may be bite marks from play fighting). She never had this redness when we first met her (at 6 weeks) and it is getting larger even though I put sunscreen on it. The vet didn't think it was serious a couple of weeks ago though she is coming to look at it again soon. But this anxious mum wants to know if any of you have any advice? It would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

It could be Collie Nose Discoid Lupus but it isn't common in Border Collies unless the nose lacks pigment which is happens in merles and any lines using merles. There are a lot of pet breeders not taking enough notice of the vital complete nose pigment. There are some chocolate lines too that seem more prone to it as well as the more serious systemic lupus than the blacks. Collie Nose

Other possibilities for the nose damage are a bite from another puppy if you are raising two together or that she is digging with her nose and taking the skin off.

No matter what it is she needs to be kept out of the sun completely, separated from any dog she rumbles with and kept where she cannot dig until it heals.

I you are trying to raise two puppies together, which is definitely not recommended, they should only have limited play sessions together and be separated for a good part of the day as well as when sleeping and training.

My old girl used to get an irritated patch on her nose because she would push her nose under the gate trying to see what was on the other side, she'd also dig with her nose. But what you are describing sounds a bit different. Sounds like a good idea to get the vet to look at it again.

Much thanks to you both for replying!

It's not raw or bloody or dirty, and not on her actual nose (so I don't think it's the lupus thing), it's on the fur immediately above it. (The muzzle or snout?)

Can you explain why it's bad to raise two pups together? They're sisters and seem to be good at keeping each other company.

Thanks again!

Sorry I can't help re the nose, but this popped up on my Facebook today and I remembered it when you asked why it's bad to raise two puppies together.

http://blog.betternaturedogtraining.com/2013/07/18/littermate-syndrome/

I wouldn't say it's "bad" but it can be difficult and requires a different approach than if you were just raising one. It can be great that they keep each other company, but they need alone time and one on one time too.

Hi Katie,

From my understanding of your post your pup has had this for quite a few weeks now and it is not getting any better and is now getting worse. Having read this it does not sound like it will improve on its own. Personally I would be heading back to the vet before it gets any worse and I would check with my vet before applying anymore sunscreen incase this was making the problem worse.

All the best with your new puppies.

Hi - not sure how sunscreen will help any sort of irritated/sore skin patches ... best to see the vet - another vet if teh first one fobbed it off ...,Unfortunately , skin things are often tricky to diagnose - and may need a skin scraping to help. this may be a very good plan ..because IF it is ringworm .... it will possibly spread .....

some images of RINGWORM on dog muzzles .....

ringworm%20in%20dogs.jpg

4191d1225250606-dry-spots-face-jewel1.jpg

A few years ago my border collie had these things on her nose. I took her to the vet but the antibiotic cream he put her on didn't make any difference. I bought some FiltaBac & it cleared it within a few days. I think it was called "Digger's Nose" & was most probably caused by her burying bones with her nose.

P1010320.jpg

Edited by sheena

Thanks everyone for your help, esp Steph M and persephone for the ringworm ides - it linked me to demidectic mange (or some technical term like that) - the patch got a lot worse over Easter so I took my girl to the vet last night. Don't know exactly what it is (skin scraping would be too painful) but have some new cream which will hopefully work wonders!

Thanks again! :)

Woohoo. Glad to be of help.

Hope the cream doe it and that's the end of it!

Keep an eye on the other pup too, Google tells me its not known for contagiousness but has been seen to happen.

Fingers crossed you're in the clear!

Skin scrapings aren't that painful, and if the nose doesn't improve rapidly I would be demanding one.

Regarding ringworm, it is HIGHLY contagious so if the vet suspects ringworm, don't take your puppy to dog parks etc.

Hi persephone, sheena, steph m and kirty, thanks for posting!

It's not really getting worse, but I can't say that it's getting better. Luckily our other pup looks as healthy as can be. It's a pink swelled up mound with most of the fur lost from it. The vet was vague as to what it could be and prescribed Neocort and Betadine. I agree that no diagnosis is a bit useless at this point and will take her to a different vet for a second opinion tonight if I can get in.

Sheena, re the Virbac and Filtabac, can you get them from a petshop or are they vet only?

Hi persephone, sheena, steph m and kirty, thanks for posting!

It's not really getting worse, but I can't say that it's getting better. Luckily our other pup looks as healthy as can be. It's a pink swelled up mound with most of the fur lost from it. The vet was vague as to what it could be and prescribed Neocort and Betadine. I agree that no diagnosis is a bit useless at this point and will take her to a different vet for a second opinion tonight if I can get in.

Sheena, re the Virbac and Filtabac, can you get them from a petshop or are they vet only?

The Filtabac is a horse product so probably go to a horse shop. I bought mine on-line. It is also a sunscreen & is very thick like zinc cream. Just get a small tube because you wont need much.

Thanks sheena, i'll look into it.

Btw the vet visit was finally conclusive! I didn't hear the correct term but it's a deep follicle bacterial infection :cry: The vet (a new one) said it may take over three weeks to clear up! :doh: Dog lovers: do NOT use betadine or neocort (both the things prescribed by the first vet) on a dog with a skin infection. They are the devil!!!