Breed Choice Advice

Vbs

Personally, I find that standard poodles are much more body aware than other gun dogs - they can play inside and not demolish the house. Obviously training is very important - if you don't want a boisterous ill mannered dog then it needs to be trained. Mine have been excellent with children and my elderly grandmother when she was alive but they are also very obedient. As others have said - choose your breeder with care - regardless of breed - this dog is going to live in your home with your children. I have had a mini for several years now and she is fabulous - she loves kids and they love her.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of the poodle owners on here have poodles who like to retrieve/ play ball?

Also there is are a lot of comments about finding a good breeder. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I have looked on dogzonline but any additional advice would be welcomed.

Poodles are usually great retrievers most of ours and our rescues were ball mad. That was what we used when training my standard girl, she wasn't interested in food rewards. They are bred to retrieve so it is usually something they instinctively do.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

I am looking for a big miniature or smallish standard. My husband has prejudices against poodles so we need a pup who is playful and wants to catch frisbees and swim in the sea, but who also can be alone and happy when we are at work during the day.

I met a lagotto today.

I have groomed her 3 times now, but I always thought she was a labradoodle! :o

i work only out the back, so dont get to talk to owners.

She is a very sweet girl, and is nicely behaved for grooming. But has THE worst underbite i have ever seen!

My poodles have always loved retrieving my mini is the worst (best?) she gets obsessive about kongs, tennis balls, anything ball shaped and will bring you sticks from beside the fire place, she's obsessed with squeaky toys and will literally go all day, my poodles have all LOVED water and love going to the beach too. They are definitely not 'frou-frou' dogs and I think if people end up with snappy and neurotic dogs it would be from treating them as if they are just handbag accessories rather than smart and energetic retrievers!

Do any of the poodle owners on here have poodles who like to retrieve/ play ball?

Also there is are a lot of comments about finding a good breeder. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I have looked on dogzonline but any additional advice would be welcomed.

Yep, both my Mini poodles LOVE it. :)

Unfortunately the lagotto forum on yahoo closed down but that was a great source of information, they are now on FB but of course nothing negative gets said anymore due to there being no hiding from the public.

Some initial good breeders are now having trouble with some of the dogs they are producing.

In newer breeds you also have the problems of very few to breed to and can get inbred problems, for a newer breed like the lagotto I'd wait at least 10 years while they get themselves sorted out and start bringing in more bloodlines (bloodlines being the major point here, not just dogs with the similar bloodlines).

It never helps new owners when no one wants to say anything bad about anything in dog breeds and often new owners are swayed by the 'talkers' and end up with dogs they can't handle or don't want to handle.

I have only met a few of teh lagotto breed - I fell in love with two who lived at a winery some years back . One was standoffish..one was an absolute darling ..they were there to greet the public etc ..and looked so impressive :)

not sure what standard poodle temperament is like now ..but I do remember them as being very smart ..and show offs ..and irresistible :) And, yes to playing with a ball etc!

Guest donatella

I'll second the Keeshond- definitely worth investigating.

I had one when I was a teenager & happy go lucky definitely is an apt description. They are such great family dogs, robust & fun loving & just made for cuddling! They are like happy little bears. :D

Their fur does need a good brush through once or twice a week, but they don't shed a lot (unlike my Golden Retriever :eek: ).

I don't know anything about the temparament of Keeshondd but oh boy are they stunning looking dogs :heart:

My standard loves her ball would chase it all day if I let her!

OP: Also there is are a lot of comments about finding a good breeder. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I have looked on dogzonline but any additional advice would be welcomed.

Figure out what is important to you and study the breed; not just the standard, but also what people say about it. Get together a list of your priorities and concerns: most breeds show a range of temperaments. Where on that range do you want your dog to be? What health/grooming concerns are you most worried about? Don't forget things for which there are not obvious tests, like allergies; I also like to ask about health of related dogs (grand and great grand sire/dam, brothers and sisters, etc.). A good breeder should know these things.

When you speak with breeders, ask them to describe the ideal toward which they are breeding BEFORE you tell them what you're looking for (some people tell you what you want to hear). Make sure to get them to touch on the things you find most important or worrisome. Try to find a breeder whose aims and priorities match your own.

I hate it when breeders talk about show vs. pet quality . . . and would avoid breeders who are so obsessed with the ring that pet = reject for them.

If your question is more about how to get started looking, I'd try the breed club and talk with a few people who have been around the breed for a long time. They may be able or willing to give you suggestions, directly. But it's just as good if they can refer you to breeders who share your priorities/concerns for the breed and may be happy to steer you toward finding a good litter. Eg., someone who has a popular stud may not have pups available, but will know everyone who has used their dog and has litters coming. (Alternative way to do this is to go to shows and find a stud you like . . . then ask his owners what bitches he has serviced lately).

OP: Also there is are a lot of comments about finding a good breeder. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I have looked on dogzonline but any additional advice would be welcomed.

Figure out what is important to you and study the breed; not just the standard, but also what people say about it. Get together a list of your priorities and concerns: most breeds show a range of temperaments. Where on that range do you want your dog to be? What health/grooming concerns are you most worried about? Don't forget things for which there are not obvious tests, like allergies; I also like to ask about health of related dogs (grand and great grand sire/dam, brothers and sisters, etc.). A good breeder should know these things.

When you speak with breeders, ask them to describe the ideal toward which they are breeding BEFORE you tell them what you're looking for (some people tell you what you want to hear). Make sure to get them to touch on the things you find most important or worrisome. Try to find a breeder whose aims and priorities match your own.

I hate it when breeders talk about show vs. pet quality . . . and would avoid breeders who are so obsessed with the ring that pet = reject for them.

If your question is more about how to get started looking, I'd try the breed club and talk with a few people who have been around the breed for a long time. They may be able or willing to give you suggestions, directly. But it's just as good if they can refer you to breeders who share your priorities/concerns for the breed and may be happy to steer you toward finding a good litter. Eg., someone who has a popular stud may not have pups available, but will know everyone who has used their dog and has litters coming. (Alternative way to do this is to go to shows and find a stud you like . . . then ask his owners what bitches he has serviced lately).

What a great post, I would highlight/bold pretty well everything you have said. So much of it rings true in my recent and quite extensive research before I got my pup. :thumbsup: