Canberra Sled Dog Club - Beginners Day

idigadog

Hi everyone,

Just in case there are people in the Canberra region who are interested in giving sled dog racing a go. It doesn't matter what breed of dog, as long as they are big enough to pull you on a bike or a scooter, come on out and have some fun with us :-)

Beginners-Day-Flyer-2014_zps27a6edbe.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shame I'll be at a show that weekend. My two eldest boys would love that.

Pft!!!! This would be so much more fun than a show :bolt:

Oh I'd love to try it. I don't know if my Aussie Shepherd would run though, I think she might look at me like I was crazy and say I'm not pulling you! :o

LOL, my dogs always look at me like I'm crazy! No harm in trying. You might be surprised :)

Edited by idigadog

The track that you will do at Stromlo is very easy and not very long. It's just so people can get a taste of what the sport is about and whether or not your dog is capable.

Sometimes dogs pick it up straight away, others take a bit of coaxing and a few training sessions before the light bulb goes off. There will be heaps of club members there on the day to help out around the trail and we will take one of our dogs out to be the demo model and bunny for everyone to follow.

Oooo! Looks interesting!

Is there a minimum weight limit for dogs? I'm supposing it depends.... (I'm a fatty though :o ) I reckon my 11 month old Kelpie X would love it, but she is only 12-13kg. And maybe too young?

My almost 3 year old Kelpie would be capable, but I'm not sure if he would pull :p he's a very chilled dog......

Also, the website says to bring a stakeout line, would a crate suffice? Or do they need to be picketed?

Oooo! Looks interesting!

Is there a minimum weight limit for dogs? I'm supposing it depends.... (I'm a fatty though :o ) I reckon my 11 month old Kelpie X would love it, but she is only 12-13kg. And maybe too young?

My almost 3 year old Kelpie would be capable, but I'm not sure if he would pull :p he's a very chilled dog......

Also, the website says to bring a stakeout line, would a crate suffice? Or do they need to be picketed?

It's all relative, size vs weight to pull, as to how much work you are prepared to put in. With one dog, you need to be prepared to scoot most of the way to take the pressure off them and keep the wheels rolling. A bigger, stronger dog will manage much easier than a smaller, leaner dog.

I would try both of your kelpies. Possibly even put them together and have a go as a two dog team. That would make it easier on all of you.

The stakeout line etc is for training days at Kowen Forest. This is just a demo day at Stromlo Park so you really only need to keep them on leads until it's your turn to run. We will take our stakeouts out there anyway for anyone who wishes to use them.

I hope to see you there :thumbsup:

I think it would be suicidal behind Whippets eek1.gifrofl1.gif

But you'd probably win if you survived!

I agree. Before I even knew this sport existed I used to daydream about having a team of whippets pulling me along the main road into town. I used to imagine all the cars running off the road as the drivers watched in amazement. :laugh:

I will be at the GSD show too :(

I will be there with bells on next year of you run it though. Plus my GSD is a bit young so I need to wait anyway.

Might sneak out dogless one morning though and come cheer on the racers during winter :)

Edited by Akayla

idigadog, where do you get the 'scooters' from? iv been trying to google them but don't know the correct term so have come up empty, one of those would be quite handy here for a multitude of things.

Try kickbike as a search term.

Putting scooter into Ebay brings up those awful little kids scooters :p

Also dog scooter or kick scooter should bring up some results.

or try

Please contact the following suppliers if you are interested in a sled or cart (gig).:

Australian Sled Dog Supplies (via Facebook)

DB Scooters (via Facebook)

Kick Scooter Sydney www.kickscootersydney.com.au

Cardiprin Carts (email: [email protected])

Thanks Esky, perfect but probably a little more then i anticipated :( would have been great to get out there with the kids and go to and from the shop on. Let me know if here of a second hand one come up, they may be more in my price range.