How Do You Decide?

So you are saying that the ranger wouldn't let you adopt the cats back from the pound? Or that you weren't allowed to rescue back the cats you had taken there at a rescue rate (or free)?

You do know that unless the RSPCA you take them to is a recognised animal impound facility for the area, you will be surrendering the cats as your own... and NSW rules say they can be euthanaised as you are walking back out the door after you drop them off...

If you are going to take them to RSPCA ACT, same applies - as they are not an animal impound facility and don't take in strays. Although I've also heard that RSPCA ACT also have a long waiting list in order to take in surrenders too.

Legally speaking, any cat you trap is automatically deemed a stray - and should be taken to the pound facility for that council area asap. "Arrangements" with pound rangers are all well and good until one or both parties don't want to play any more... as you have found out the hard way. Much as we don't always agree with how pounds operate, the louder one yells about the "injustice of it all", the less likely ANY pound is going to want to work with you. Don't think the local network of facilities don't talk to each other either...

T.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to add, that when I contacted the pound direct about the two kittens I took, both CPR mentioned the two girls you are talking about AND the ranger also mentioned to me that they were there.

So, to me, they did do what they could. It's not like they just said sure, take the two youngest kittens. They asked me specifically about the two girls, and also the male that was in there, but they can't force my hand.

The RSPCA is LOADED with cats at the moment, and I'm pretty sure they can't take any more at the moment. Maybe they mentioned they would try, then realised, who knows, but I would not go so far as to say they did not try.

Honestly, how many cats do you think the see go through there? They would have a fairly good indication of what will sell or be adopted, or what rescue groups tend to take on.

Anyway, again, just my 2 cents....

Edit - T, you are right, the RSPCA here has a waiting list for surrenders that is from memory 6 months or so. That was last time I heard, it could be more, could be less now, not sure.

Edited by lokelani

Guest Wildthing

I was going to edit my last post to add the following.

If I was to stop trapping suburban wilds, I would be allowing those cats to breed indiscriminately with the result wildlife would be affected. I would call that irresponsible. A classic example of this is the site in the ACT I have just been trapping on. One adult female, one juvenile female about 6 months old and 5 kittens around 12 weeks old. Mum was one of the first to be trapped. She was my first trap, neuter, release (TNR) in 19 years in rescue. When she was desexed, she was at least 5 to 6 weeks pregnant with her third litter of the season. I personally cannot justify turning a blind eye to that fact alone. Then of course, is the juvenile female and 3 females in the later litter and 2 males. Just imagine how many off spring they could produce next breeding season. 18 kittens in the first litters of the season would be my quick guess. There is also the fact that the males would mate with their sisters and other and that has the potential to cause all sorts of genetic problems eventually due to in breeding.

Short of explaining every little detail, there was a way the cats could have been released to me. Not as rescues and not as me taking them back for free or otherwise.

I am not aware the RSPCA (ACT) will refuse any cat that has been trapped, whether it was in the ACT or NSW. I have spoken to them about this issue recently. What I have been told is they will give any suburban wilds a chance to settle before they are killed. I am happy with that. RSCPA (ACT) are paid a fee by the ACT government for every 'stray' ACT cat that is taken to them as there is no government run or funded cat facility in the ACT. All strays (cats) are taken to the RSPCA (ACT) I have taken cats there in the past that I have trapped in the ACT. I have a friend who also traps in the ACT and helps me if I need it. They take every cat they trap to the RSPCA.

I am not in the least bit concerned about pounds working with me in the future because I have shouted as I am no longer in active rescue. Even if I was in active rescue, it would not worry me if my shouting had an adverse affect.

At my age, I know there are ways to manage systems and achieve satisfactory outcomes. However, when it comes to pounds and my continuing to rescue, I have no need to manage those systems anymore.

So you are going to trap cats in NSW and take them to RSPCA ACT as strays? And ask them to spend the time and effort to try to tame them and rehome them for you? Taking up the space that could have gone to an even larger number of calm domesticated cats that would have rehomed with less time and work? Calmer and domesticated animals that others have to wait 6 months to surrender...

Where are you going to tell RSPCA ACT you trapped these cats? How long do you really think they will hold them for "to give them a chance to settle" if 3 weeks isn't enough for them to settle at QBN Pound?

I admire your dedication to these community cats, but am a little taken aback at how you are saying you will be going about it... literally to the detriment of dog only knows how many other perfectly rehomable cats they could take in and rehome. Sounds a little bit like the whole scenario is more about how YOU feel about what you do than really being about cat rescue and all that entails.

Like I said before, if YOU can't deal with the number of cats YOU trap, why are you getting so razzed about the fact that others can't or won't either? It's all starting to get into the realm of "crazy cat lady" from this side of the debate - you are effectively adamantly placing YOUR trapped cats as being more "deserving" of a chance than so many other cats out there in the same state of need - ie. lost and needing a loving home of their own.

Seriously - the most effective way for you to have saved those 2 particular cats from the pound is if you had fronted up with their adoption fees - no way they would have refused - but obviously you didn't, and it's the pound's fault they couldn't hold them any longer for you? Sorry - I fail to understand your logic in this debate.

T.

Guest Wildthing

Today, I phoned the RSPCA (ACT) to check information on this thread that has been posted by other people. The following is what I was advised.

The RSPCA (ACT) is deemed to be an impound facility.

They do not euthanase to make space for any species of incoming animals.

Waiting periods

Dogs - currently there is around a 2 month waiting period.

Cats - currently no waiting period to surrender your own cat. At maximum, no longer than 3 weeks.

I spoke to the Cattery Manager about taking the cats I trap at the site in QBN. They have said they will accept 2 at a time. Depending on the cats behaviour over a short period of time, they will either be euthanased or proceed along the route for possible adoption. That includes medicals and temperament testing to their criteria.

The biggest piece of information the Cattery Manager gave me was they would have taken those two girls from QBN pound had they been asked.

Therefore, there were two ways those 2 girls could have been(and should have been) saved

I REST MY CASE

Easy for them to say they would have taken the cats AFTER the fact... but what is done is done and we can't undo it.

Time now for you to focus on going forward and learning from the past so that you don't find yourself (or the cats you are trapping) in similar circumstances ever again.

Did you ask what they do if they are full and can't take in any more stray cats? Do they just fob people off to the pound, or do they "make room" in other ways? I think you'll probably find that they do euth under those conditions, but aren't about to advertise the fact.

As for accepting 2 at a time - over what sort of timeframe will they take those 2 at a time? What happens to the others if you trap more than 2 in any given timeframe?

Some serious considerations you will need to take stock of if you are going to make this new arrangement work the way you want it to methinks...

Is there any possibility you may be able to convince the RSPCA to assist in TNR for a massively reduced rate? You offer to pay something towards the procedures required, and they don't ever have to see the cat again - or deal with it if it doesn't pass their temperament test...

T.