Dog Training Establishments In Victoria

Department of Primary Industry has instructed all councils within the State of Victoria to follow up on Dog Training Establishments within their municipality within Victoria to ensure that anyone offering "Dog Training" must be registered as a Domestic Animal Business. Registration is due annually and Councils have been instructed to follow up on dog training business to ensure that they are registered as Domestic Animal Businesses.

According to DPI: "If you offer any sort of "dog training" you must be registered.". This does not mean that you have to be qualified as a dog trainer it means that you must be registered as a Domestic Animal Business.

So no matter if you offer only a puppy pre-school, full obedience or behaviourist work within a municipality, you must be registered with that municipality.

DPI have indicated that if you work in more than one municipality you must be registered in each municipality that you offer "dog training" or advice.

Fees are set by the local councils but $10.00 of every fee has to be forwarded to DPI. Council fees have varied from $100-$200 depending on local council.

Information from DPI is that puppy classes being offered at local vets and pet shops are not excluded from prosecution if they are not registered.

DPI have also indicated that local councils are able to set their own requirements on domestic animal businesses above the requirements of the Domestic Animals Act, including requirements to have Town Planning Permits and local laws and determining areas that dog training can occur.

Registration is to occur annually by 10th April of each year.

Edited by wayrod

Surely they can't expect businesses to register in every area they work in? Do you have a reference for that specifically? That would add up to thousands of dollars for people like us and is the epitome of double dipping surely..

I went to council 18 months ago to fill out the paperwork - the Council Officers had to look it up on the Internet.....and then download the paperwork.... I paid my fee but didn't receive an inspection till about 6 months later..... ! Had to fill out further forms....... At this point I was the only Animal Business recorded !

An animal business registration number is required for any Dog Training Establishment, Dog Boarding Kennels, Dog Breeding

Therefore this would also be relevant to:

Pet Sitters, Pet Nannies, Puppy Farms, Doggy Day Care, Vets who have animals staying overnight, Vets who run puppy schools, Pet Shops with animals on the premises, ANKC or Working Dog Club Members with more than 9 entire animals, all residential homes with more than 3 entire animals who do not belong to Assoc.

Grooming Shops, Home Grooming Services..... even pet walkers

Might even be worth compiling a list of businesses in your area so that if the Council Officers knock on your door you can ask the question to make sure that they are being fair and reasonable to all business in your region.

Warning - they will want to know your insurance details etc etc etc....

Side note : Still haven't actually received an official number I just have my original form and receipt ... However have not yet received any request for a renewal...!

A few years ago a council asked us about our DAB reg- proving we were registered as a DAB in another council and had paid our $236 and proof of our insurance was enough. I don't have a problem with being registered as a DAB but paying the fee fifteen times.. that I would fight.

A few years ago a council asked us about our DAB reg- proving we were registered as a DAB in another council and had paid our $236 and proof of our insurance was enough. I don't have a problem with being registered as a DAB but paying the fee fifteen times.. that I would fight.

Would be imperative to fight that.

I would hope that having approved registration within the same state would cover all councils.

Dept Primary Industries conducted an Open Forum regarding the Registrations in April 2012 - focused on breeding rules - had huge number of people in attendance including many of the commercial breeders etc. They wanted feedback

In reality of course it was more a case of a group of government pencil pushers sitting around a table coming up with "good ideas" about what would make the legislation. Then they present to a Forum for the sake of appearances and then they just drop in the rules and regs they think are best.

Of course they never think of how these rules are to be policed.... most councils don't have the time to even check for the basic registration of family dogs let alone to cover the new stuff.

Just consider that the councils already have the right to go and check out Commercial Breeders (puppy farms) with giving fair notice - but they don't......

Surely they can't expect businesses to register in every area they work in? Do you have a reference for that specifically? That would add up to thousands of dollars for people like us and is the epitome of double dipping surely..

Like you, we have multiple sites and received notices from multiple councils, hence the reason we spoke with DPI to ascertain if we only had to pay with the municipality of where our office is registered or with each/all councils. The reply was we had to register with all councils that we do work in!

We have to register in each municipality where a behavourist does a home visit!

Our notices have a minimum fee which is $100 in most of the municipalities and $200 in another. $2000 goes no where!!!

We are one of only a handful of dog training organisations registered with DPI as a recognised dog training organisation and The Minister of Agriculture has approved our training plans, procedures and policy manuals yet we have to be vetted against the Code of Practice that has been pointed out to DPI on numerous occasions, does not even relate to our type of industry in that we offer classes, private sessions and behaviourist work and that we train assistance dogs whilst the current Code of Practice is geared towards boarding and training organisations/establishments!