Crates

aussielover

Thoughts on Dog Crates  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with using dog crates?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only in exceptional situations like illness or injury etc
  2. 2. How long do you think is acceptable to spend in a crate at a time?

• It is never acceptable
    • Less than an hour
    • A few hours
    • Several hours (4+ hrs)
    • The whole day (8-12 hours)
    • At night only
    • All day and all night
  3. 3. How do you use your crate? (can select more than one response)

• I don't have one, I would never use one
    • I don't have one but i'd be willing to use one if a situation arises
    • When I go out of the house for a few hours
    • At night for sleeping
    • When I go to dog shows, trials, other peoples houses etc
    • When I am at work
    • My dog has free access all of the time but it is never shut
    • As a time out for naughty behaviour
    • To train my dog to have down time
    • For housetraining
    • In the car
    • Other- please specify

I use them all the time. Crate training is the very first thing I do with any pup or foster.

Some of my dogs sleep in them at night. I use them to separate dogs if need be. Sometimes I will leave dogs in there on a hot or very cold day.

I used them for shows, take them with me when I travel, camp and visit other people.

A dog that can sit quietly and happily in a crate is a blessing.

Edited by WreckitWhippet

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My dogs love their crates. I have a open crate in their bedroom and there is always a dog snoozing in there.

I use a crate at dog school as I am working 2 dogs. Both dogs are happy to relax in the crate then.

I also use a crate in the car for one of them. Mainly because the other dog has personal space issues and this gives them their privacy, lol.

I take crates with me when I go away and it seems to make the dogs feel secure in a strange space. The dogs choose to go in the crates.

Here there are last time we went away.

23kui6q.jpg

I think the references to dogs preferring crates is a bit like saying that animals, like bears, who are caged for years on end from babyhood and are conditioned to cages, prefer cages. Of course they do, they feel safe. It's what they know.

I don't imagine that anyone here talking about crating their dogs at length does it quite as absuively as this obviously, but the reasoning behind their preference is flawed in my opinion when you look at scenarios such as caged bears.

With my young dog, I am doing Crate Games, and it is really proving to be an awesome tool for helping with self control and motivation and lightning quick response to his release cue. Now that I understand how the games work, it really is a lot of fun!

Mine sleep in crates by choice with the doors open. I have a very large crate in the back of my car for safety and do I can have all the doors etc open and my dogs are safe - yes I have had a moron allow their dog to jump up and put it's front feet into the back of my van whiile my dogs were tethered in there.

I have a crate at the kennels that is generally open but they do get zipped in when dogs turn up as people like to shove fluffy at the baby gate and Rommi will snap at them.

I don't have a huge issue with dogs being crated overnight as long as they are let out late for a toilet and then again fairly early in the morning.

I would not and will never crate my dogs inside for a working day. I built a dog yard so they can have a nice brick dog run to go into but also have some room to play/toilet and lay on grass/under a tree.

I also do not agree with dogs being locked inside all day while people are at work. Dogs need fresh air to stay healthy and fit.

All of my dogs are crate trained as they are crated if required after injury/surgery. They are also crated for travel and at shows and trials. They get much more rest and are much more relaxed if crated at competitions.

All my dogs are trained so should the need arise they are relaxed about it.

I have seen the results caused by people trying to suddenly crate a dog after surgery and it is very stressful for all. Or people who have dogs that should be crated after certain surgeries, they refuse because it is cruel then end up with a dog who doesn't heal properly and is in a degree of pain all it's life - that's okay but short term crating is cruel, go figure. I have also seen repairs that should have healed beautifully totally fail because people will not crate.

Used moderately and for things such as recovery they are a wonderful tool. Use them instead of a pair of eyes or training and they are cruel. However using them if you need to do something when you cannot watch pup or as an aid with toilet training and they are a useful tool as well.

Edited by OSoSwift

Oh and I currently have a little rescue dog that is staying until she is desexed etc healed and then will fly to her new home. She is spending quiet and bone chewing time in her crate. She is only the size of the cats so at night she is being crated so they don't stalk or hurt her, plus she will be flying so it will be a much better flight for her should she be relaxed in a crate.

I find crates a nuisance for housekeeping and I personally don't like them. But if others want to use them, that's their decision. Crating for many hours at a time seems cruel to me, but if the dogs still happily go into their crates, it couldn't be that bad.

As for the 'other' . . . I use crates for air freight, and occasionally, for taking puppies to the vet.

Other than what was on the list I will often use one when I have people coming to my house (particularly young children) either to make the arrical time a bit calmer (Hamish likes to jump) ,if my dogs indicate it's time for a sleep or if the kids are being exceptionally active and I can't watch dogs and kids vigilantly.

Anne generally crates are a safe place for dogs. In our house only positive things happen in their crates. All bones inside are given in their crates. You say to them do you want a bone, you go to the fridge and they go to their crates. When lots of kids or people are here, their crate is a safe place to have some down time. The crates are always up in the lounge room and the doors open, so that when watching TV and there is no room on the couch the dogs have a warm comfy place to sit while we all watch TV.

When at really busy places like the Dog Lovers Show, their crates are a safe quiet place to take a much needed break from the crowd.

IMGP3197_zps5fba2876.jpg

When at trials and shows the crates are a great, safe place to relax.

IMGP2396_zps5f01cb9b.jpg

When sick or after an operation, their crates are a great place to rest and recuperate, unless your Aunty brings you a ball :rofl:

10092012077_zps8c6cb441.jpg

They are also useful for stray cats, rabbits, little old dogs who need separating from children, and mad grand kids pretending to be dogs who want to be locked up!

Apart from Sammy at obedience club in the club's spare crate I don't think we've used ours 'traditionally' for our dogs, but it's very handy to have just in case. Maggot got the most use out of it but it's the vebo Xxl so I don't think he felt very enclosed.

Here's a more balanced view of crating dogs. From the USA equivalent of the RSPCA

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.html

I think it's a tad irrational to think it's ok to crate an injured dog eg at the vet and for recovery at home, but never train the dog to be comfortable in a small space with the door shut (sometimes).

I recently helped out at a two day agility trial and my dog came too and sat in her crate in a gazebo near where I was helping. She could see me and I could see her and she was very well behaved. She does express an opinion if she thinks I ought to be letting her out, or she needs to get out but mostly she's happy quietly watching the equivalent of dog telly or sleeping. I took her out as often as I could - about once every couple of hours.

If I had not taken her and used the crate - she would have been locked in my house for the entire time. So just a bigger crate. And no time with me until I got home.

I read a study ages ago that said if the area the dog had available was not huge (somewhat bigger than your average 1/4 acre block) - if the boss was not home and they were alone, they mostly slept.

With 4 dogs (and a deceased cat who ADORED the dog crates!), crates are sort of a necessity here! We have two, a soft and a hard crate. Only the soft is set up 24/7; the hard crate is usually only out during the summer. But the doors are always open on both, the dogs go in and out as they wish, and I use it during storms for the boys, who're both escape artists during storms. I find crates to be an excellent tool, esp for sick/rehabilitating dogs, but I wouldn't crate them for longer than maybe an hour or two (if it was desperate). Especially not during the day; e.g. 8 hours is way too long for any of mine to be locked up. At night is a different story. They have the option of the crates and they do sleep in them voluntarily, but the doors don't get shut. I would if I had a particularly destructive dog, though.

Mines only used for the car and I sometimes use it as a station in our obstacle course. I like knowing if I needed to do something drastic like ship the chooks and dog out in the same mini in a fire I could ( chooks have their own they're comfortable in).

I don't think they should be for the owners convenience, if you don't live a lifestyle that suits having a dog around then don't get a dog and put it in a box. I do think they're a useful tool as people have mentioned to separate for feeding etc. Another good tool that can be misused.

Generally I think they are over used & can be cruel.

I inherited 4 large dog crates (4 x 3 feet) with the house & although never had them before they have come in useful for some things.

My toy poodles go in them once a week for about 30 to 45 minutes to chew their bones. Saves fights & getting a bloody mess on everything around the house. So good use there.

If any hurt themselves or are unwell, like after desexing or a dental, I may pop them in a crate to keep them warm & quiet & away from the others pestering for a short time.

One boy pees on the curtains overnight when a girl or local dog is on heat. He gets popped in a crate to sleep but only for about 6 hours. I don't really like leaving for long.

Best use is for kittens. I can join them up & make a 16 foot long run & dangle toys, have a tray area one end & food & beds at the other so they can play in the lounge when they are too small to be let loose in safety.

Also use to bring my breeding cats in from their runs in extreme heat. Can't let them tear around the house loose. Entire males & females followed by mad poodles would be bedlam so they sit in comfort in their own space in the air con until it cools down outside.

So although I don't like them they have their place with multi animal households but regular confinement is not a good thing & I would never crate & go out & did always manage my dogs without crates before but find them handy now I have got them.

I hate crate toilet training for puppies in a small crate they can't move about in & think that is cruel but many do it & feel its ok. I wouldn't.