Crates

aussielover

Thoughts on Dog Crates  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with using dog crates?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only in exceptional situations like illness or injury etc
  2. 2. How long do you think is acceptable to spend in a crate at a time?

• It is never acceptable
    • Less than an hour
    • A few hours
    • Several hours (4+ hrs)
    • The whole day (8-12 hours)
    • At night only
    • All day and all night
  3. 3. How do you use your crate? (can select more than one response)

• I don't have one, I would never use one
    • I don't have one but i'd be willing to use one if a situation arises
    • When I go out of the house for a few hours
    • At night for sleeping
    • When I go to dog shows, trials, other peoples houses etc
    • When I am at work
    • My dog has free access all of the time but it is never shut
    • As a time out for naughty behaviour
    • To train my dog to have down time
    • For housetraining
    • In the car
    • Other- please specify

I use crates for a safe place while out at shows and training.

I use them when we go away to keep dogs safe at night.

Used them when my new dog was younger as a training tool as crate games and a time out place.

Recently used the crate as young dog would not stop romping on a visitors dog that was well behaved enough to lie in a down without the crate. She also ended up sin binned in bathroom as she barked in the crate!

I am familiar with Ruff Love and know some people who use this training method well. And it isn't much different from professional dog trainers. However I am hearing that in America it is much more widespread.

When a dog is young people want to control all rewards so crate heavily. But in some cases dogs are crated nearly 24/7 except for training. But some people lack the time or don't have the situation to let their dog out and interact with it as many times as is necessary.

Reading a book a while back the author ( might have been the Control Unleashed for puppies) spoke against the trend of crating in her country. She even wrote about a lady who boarded up all the windows in a room so that the pup couldn't see out the windows as it liked to do this.

I know the question was about crates generally but this scenario of crating for long hours with nearly no free time doesn't sit well with me. My choice as it is not what I want my dogs for. I understand the principle behind this but if this method is done by somebody with no time or no experience, not good.

But in terms of the average person like me, crating is a great tool and my dogs love their crates. Like at dog training we are not allowed to tie dogs up (not that I would these days) and as I have 3 crates are vital if they all want to go.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love crates and use them every day.

I have crates set up my house and we have them set up a t work too. The dogs are trained to sleep in them over night, are taught to switch off as soon as they are put in their crate and would happily go to and stay in their crates for hours if required. I use them in the car, training, when going to trials etc.

For me it is critical that my dogs are taught how to relax and switch off. Once they can do this in their crates it is easy to transfer that to mat or place training in the house too. I find crates very practical.

I don't want my dogs loose in the house 24/7 or having free access to me all of the time for many reasons.

ETA: I know people with high end sport or working dogs that do pen or crate the dogs most of the day and only really interact with them when training them. I understand why they do this but it's not how I enjoy spending time with my dogs, as I like them to be in the house with me, go out on outings with me, chill out with me etc not just train. However there is no question that deprivation like that can be used on many different levels and can have lots of benefit.

Edited by huski

I was very glad that Treble was crate trained by his breeder, as when he had his nosebleed and had to be super confined (couldn't put his head down or up or he would bleed) the crate was the best thing to keep him in. Also the vets remarked on how quiet and happy he was to be in a crate compared to other dogs they have as it made it easier for them to keep an eye on him and he didn't try to rush/push out of his crate when they had to change his bedding and the like.

--Lhok

I wouldn't be without crates.

My dogs sleep in their crates in our bedroom overnight (doors closed) they head in there when they think it's bedtime and curl up in them. They don't make a peep until I get up unless they need to go out for an emergency (very rare)

They travel in crates in the car. They are crated in there during agility trials and at training. We use their crates while camping - I feel better crating rather than giving them free range of the tent which they can break out of.

I don't crate them during the day - IMO that's just too much and I prefer they have sunshine and free access in the back yard. If it is cold I'll put the crates outside for them to sleep in (door open).

Often during the evening they will cruise into our bedroom and have a nap in their crate.

My dogs have very little fur and have blankets over and also in their crates, when I wake them up they are curled up in balls under the blankets :laugh:

I think all dogs should be crate trained even if just for the benefits when at the vet or if they need to recover from injury. Also important for of there is ever an emergency and you need to go to an evacuation centre

I use the crates for various reasons. Sometimes the dogs will sleep in their crates all night and other times they sleep outside, in the lounge or on my bed.

If it is really hot/cold/bad rain and I have to be at work then I will crate them whilst I am out of the house. The outdoor area isn't that fantastic at protecting them from the elements and I don't like them being inside unsupervised.

One husky chooses his crate over sleeping anywhere else in the house. He puts himself in there and I just leave the door open and he ventures out when he is ready.

My dogs are 6, 7 and 9ish so they are not as active as they used to be and just spend most of their days sleeping. They don't really care where they sleep :)

It's interesting to hear the varying opinions that people have about the use of crates.

Many years ago I didnt like to see dogs in crates and I had been known to refer to them as "cocky cages" !!!

How the wheel has turned...... now with more knowledge and understanding of the principles and practice of using denning down instincts as a training tool I use pens and crates very frequently.

Used correctly, I believe pens and crates are a humane and instinct-satisfying tool which allows dogs to be relaxed and safe when not able to be closely supervised.

I have cockers which LOVE to chew and this is not a trait that goes well with the custom made marri dining suite or the jarrah furniture made by my late cabinet maker father.

All the dogs are crated at night so that I know the furniture is safe. They are very happy to go to bed in their crates or pens and seek them out when they think it's bed time or simply when they want to rest away from the general noise of the house during the day.

I begin crate training when they are little pups and it's a natural thing for them which is accepted well. There is no fuss or feeling of punishment or separation. They are never confined for longer than a few hours without being let out for a short walk and stretch of the legs. I get up during the night to let them out and return them to their crates a little while later.

Any dog in my car is always crated and the crate is secured so that in the event of a collision or accident the crate doesnt become a missile. Again, this is a safety issue. So many dogs in car accidents are injured by air bag deployment or simply by being thrown around because they have not been secured somehow. Secured crates are one of the safest ways to transport any dog.

I currently have a rescue dog here that was surrendered by its owner because it dug up the yard at night. It was not allowed into the house at night and so it had free and unsupervised access to the back garden. The poor dog had spent several months on a short chain each night, until finally the owner decided to surrender it. I discussed the option with them and suggested that perhaps crating the dog in the garage at night might be a better option all round than chaining. The owner was horrified and told me that he thought it was terribley cruel to suggest putting the dog into a CAGE !!! I suggested that it was probably even more so to tether dog by its neck on a short chain outside every night. The dog is now with me and is being crate trained..... something that he has accepted very well (as he gets to sleep inside) and has curbed his digging to almost nil. The crate will go with him to his new home !!

I used to think crates were "cruel" until I started fostering and found out just how useful they are.

Harper loves her crate, and will happily spend forever in there snuggled up on her blankie - especially now the colder weather is starting up.

Vets will love you for crate training your dogs if they ever need to stay at the clinic for any length of time.

T.

I've got a crate set up in the lounge room that some of the dogs go into of their own choice to snooze in. I use it for Neko the puppy if I have to go out for an hour or so and cannot take her. I think the longest she's been locked in there while I was out was 2 hrs. Recently she went to the chiro and was crated for the rest of the day once we got home, apart from toilet breaks. She's pretty good and just rests or sleeps. She is also crated at shows.

When at trials and shows the crates are a great, safe place to relax.

IMGP2396_zps5f01cb9b.jpg

Aw! So adorable!

:thumbsup:

I was about to post something, then saw this gorgeous face :love: and have forgotten :laugh:

My dogs are all crate trained, we use crates regularly and the dogs value them. It is their special safe place :) Actually I would like one of my own! Maybe I could get some peace lol.

Crates are a great management tool, particularly for down time. Fern is a hideous bench surfer and is always crated while I cook as I am terrified she will pull a boiling pot or pan off the stove and all over her.

Over Easter my entire family were here. My sisters youngest adores dogs, I could see and feel the dogs relife when they went to their crates and I closed the gate. My little neice was not impressed and threw a tantrum (which didnt work out for her!).

I don't use them and don't want to but I can see reasons for people to use them, eg. For show dogs, injuries and the like.

I've toilet trained my dogs and previous ones without needing a crate with no issues and they've all been 100%.

I don't agree with crating for long periods of time however just for convenience.

This is spot on for us too.

With my most recent puppy (he is nine weeks so have had him two weeks) the breeder and all the experts recommended a crate. I've never used one before but could see the merit so we have one. He goes in it all night and I put him in there whenever he is napping and it's working really well. Throughout the day the door is open and he sometimes chooses to go in there and nap. Of a night he is locked in there but he is beside my bed so I can reassure him or take him to the potty if he wakes up and it's working really well. I can see it's going to be a great skill for him to have and a good tool wherever we are to reassure him. NO I don't think dogs should be locked in them all day, I think that is cruel, but I think they are a really good tool. I bought my puppy a bed and a crate, the bed is in the cupboard and hasn't come out, he has a mattress in his crate and two big blankies that smell of his litter and a big toy and he is very happy.

Pens are great too. Every house should have one and it's especially important to train the children to be comfortable in one.

Yes, so handy. I used to sit in the playpen to do my fair isle knitting with 8 balls of wool while toddlers happily ran around the room laughing at mummy in the pen.

Seriously though the biggest problem with crates is idiots who can't be bothered or think its really ok to leave them there for hours on end.

Animals young & old need to move whether to develop strong muscles & bones or to keep their old ones going. They can't if they are confined in crates for hours on end. Mentally crushing too.

Animals young & old need to move whether to develop strong muscles & bones or to keep their old ones going. They can't if they are confined in crates for hours on end. Mentally crushing too.

Only mentally crushing effect it has on my boy after sleeping in one ALL night is the fact he wasn't allowed on my bed!

Pens are great too. Every house should have one and it's especially important to train the children to be comfortable in one.

Yes, so handy. I used to sit in the playpen to do my fair isle knitting with 8 balls of wool while toddlers happily ran around the room laughing at mummy in the pen.

Seriously though the biggest problem with crates is idiots who can't be bothered or think its really ok to leave them there for hours on end.

I agree with you Christina. If crates or pens are to be used it must be in the right fashion, but that goes for just about any training or management method.

Simply leaving a dog or puppy in the back yard, free range all day, every day, with no interaction or attention is wrong. It can and often does produce an awful lot of problems. Crating in the house for overly extended periods is just as wrong and brings with it its own set of issues, however used correctly, crating or penning is a wonderful and very beneficial management tool that has long term positive effects both psychologically and health-wise. It will produce dogs and owners that are calm and settled and makes down-time and sleep management so much easier for growing puppies.

I recommend their use to families with young children so that the puppy can get the uninterupted sleep that is so necessary for healthy growth. Very often the kids are the main reason for a puppy not being able to sleep as it should. To teach a young child that puppy is in bed and needs to rest is an easier thing if a crate is used, rather than putting the puppy into another room where it may not settle due to separation issues or simply expecting it to be able to rest with a young child buzzing around it.

My own house dogs are always crated or penned of a night and will also accept the same during the day if it is necessary. They are fit and well and are very vigorous dogs when not confined but are also accepting of their confinement because it is well managed and they regard the system positively.

Rebanne......... :thumbsup: :laugh: quality sleep for owners is such an important thing too...... gone are the mornings when I wake up feeling sore and stiff because I have had a couple of dogs hogging the bed.

There are some dogs that require a higher level of management than other dogs. I think crating can benefit every dog and owner, but for some dogs it is more of a necessity than an option. I love the benefits of having a crate trained dog so would always crate train regardless of the type of dog I had.

I think they can be misused.

Agree although I'd emphasise that they *are* misused and as people become more accepting of them, they're misused more often.

Edited by ~Anne~

I think they can be misused.

Agree although I'd emphasise that they *are* misused and as people become more accepting of them, they're misused more often.

I can't say I've met or know of anyone who misuses crates, but as you said you hate crates when they are used routinely my definition of misuse probably differs to yours.