New House - Peeing Inside - Help!

smashtank

10 hours?!?! I couldn't ask my 1year old, 40kg dog to hold that long. I suspect you'll find he's peeing in his crate or on the floor somewhere. He would only have tiny wees at this point, easy to miss. I'd wash his bedding in biozet and the floors in white vinegar and hot water and start fresh.

Also, 10 hours is way, way too long to crate a pup.

An hour is a long time for a tiny puppy to hold a wee, I'd suggest maybe every half hour you put him on the pad. Also when he wakes up, after eating, drinking, playing, when he gets distracted, wanders off, sniffs or gets fidgety. Basically pup hasn't ever had to control his bladder, his muscles aren't strong and he's always been OK to just go where he needs to, so he needs to learn where you want him to go and build up muscles to hold it.

I'd also suggest using a wee word, like, 'go pee' or something, say this as soon as puppy starts to initiate the sequence, and reward him hugely as soon as its done. Act like its the best day ever! Eventually he will make the link between weeing and his wee word and will go on command.

If there's more than one of you training him, I've seen a wee chart be used to work out when they do it, so everyone is on the same page. Its just a calendar print out where a mark is put when they last put him on the pad and if he went. Also helps work.out what his schedule is like too, IE how long after a meal does he poo, how long after a drink does he wee?

I don't bother being negative or disciplining them for it. As far as I'm concerned pup is just doing what he does and its my fault for missing the signs, just clean it up. No.point telling him off unless you catch him, but he needs to know what you want him to do before he gets told he's doing the wrong thing, if that makes sense.

How far is pad from crate? Also if the plan is for him to go outside eventually might be worth taking him out of a day when its warm? Will he always have pads as a backup or will he have outside access?

Edited by Steph M

Hey all

First time poster.

We got our first puppy two days ago. He is a lovely little pug boy that is 12 weeks old. Came from a registered breeder with his papers.

We familiarized him with his crate from day one, put a ticking clock in there under a blanket which has relaxed him. He slept most of the day yesterday, got up for play and to meet new people as they visited.

We have his crate set up in the laundry with a baby gate at the doorway at night. He has around 2m x 1m to move around in the laundry when we put him in there. We set up puppy pads and are trying to teach him to 'go potty' on these with no luck. It's only been a couple of days but we have made no progress whatsover and have not been able to get him to go on the pads.

Here's what we usually try:

1. Get him to sit outside his crate, put his food down telling him to wait.

2. Once he has waited we let him eat his food in his crate and close the door.

3. We leave him in the crate for 30mins to 1 hour.

4. We take him out of the crate and straight onto the puppy pads outside his crate but in the laundry.

5. We wait there encouraging him to go potty with no luck.

6. The minute he gets out of the laundry, he waits until we aren't looking and he does a pee or poo.

Last night he slept fine in his crate with his door open in the laundry and puppy pads about a metre away from it all night, we leave the baby gate on the laundry so he can leave his crate to move around, have some water and chew on some safe toys. We were hoping he would also leave his crate to pee or poo on his own in the laundry. This morning we let him out of the laundry and the poor bugger had been holding his pee the whole night, he pee'd two times in quick succession no where near another pad we had set up in the living area.

Long story but he may have contracted kennel cough when he was leaving the breeders from a stray the breeder had taken in to care for, the breeders Vet advised to keep him indoors, warm, well fed and hydrated and he will get over it. If he gets worse then we can get him on antibiotics but he was reluctant to do so from now. So I haven't been able to take him outside to pee in the morning or evenings as it very cold, plus it is heated indoors so the change in temps i thought would not be good for him.

Can anyone help us with the following:

1. Why is he refusing to go in the laundry, is it too close to his crate where he sleeps so he does not want to go where he sleeps? I'm worried about him holding it all night, last night he held it for 10 hours! We woke up in the middle of the night to let him pee but he didn't. Is this possibly related to kennel cough?

2. What do i do when he goes potty somewhere where I don't want him to? Do i give him an 'Ah' or be negative with him? (first time dog owner here so I am still learning)

I've read this thread but am really struggling with the potty training and also biting, but I had a read of the biting thread and will try a couple of the techniques from there. Just concerned about potty training for now!

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hey guys

Sorry, I didn't realise this post would go here, didn't mean to hijack someone else's thread.

I've moved my post to a post in the puppy problems section.

Thanks for response Steph M.

I don't crate him for 10 hours, last night he fell asleep in his crate with the door opened, which i then placed in laundry where had a bowl of water, some toys, a bowl with a tiny bit of dry food and some pads, plus space to walk around...

i thought they don't poo or pee where they sleep?

I've moved my post so may be best to reply to me over in the new one.

thanks

Edited by random111

10 hours?!?! I couldn't ask my 1year old, 40kg dog to hold that long.

Heh, Vinnie holds from 8pm through to 6:30-8am every morning and he sleeps in bed with us. But he was trained early on and went from hourly night trips down to 1 night trip in just over a week. Bladder of iron! He will wake me if he can't hold on during the night sometimes though. He drinks heaps of water and goes each time he's out too except after about 8-9pmish he stops drinking water and peeing. HE JUST DOESN'T WANT TO GET OUT OF BED! This morning he kicked me to try and stay in! :laugh: I wouldn't have asked it of him as a small puppy and it took a month of not peeing in his pen to be able to sleep in the bed.

I use the adaptil atomiser spray because we have an open plan house and where he was peeing was at the end of his pen and in the hallway on the way out to wee. So the diffuser wasn't going to be effective and the collar was too expensive for something we didn't always need.

I use feliway on the cats in the same manner and collars when it's crazy times.

I use the adaptil atomiser spray because we have an open plan house and where he was peeing was at the end of his pen and in the hallway on the way out to wee. So the diffuser wasn't going to be effective and the collar was too expensive for something we didn't always need.

I use feliway on the cats in the same manner and collars when it's crazy times.

Thanks for the tip.

:thumbsup:

Haha, oh yeah, he's stubborn as an ox and could do it but I'd never put him in a position where he had to. Not fair on him.

We haven't had an accident since 8 weeks, 2 days. He had two inside the whole time we've had him. Miracle dog! I still wouldn't ask him to hold on more than a few hours though.

Edited by Steph M

My two, although not puppies now, will hold on for about 12 hours overnight during winter. They can go out through a doggy dog if they need to but they don't fancy that if it's cold and/or wet. Couple of sooks lol.