Would This Situation Work?

I currently have my 13 yr old stafford Grace and my 7 yr old Chi x Abby. I'd like to rescue an adult dog in the future, after my older girl passes on. The issue is that Abby is quite reactive toward strange dogs, but does warm up to certain dogs given time.

Grace is a very confident and easy going dog. They have lived together since Abby arrived as an eight week old pup. I wonder if it is out of the question to rescue a dog whilst I have Abby, given her issues with strange dogs.

I have no doubt that she would warm up to a dog that is confident and easy going and not too bouncy. Abby plays brilliantly with Grace (they still play and it is wonderful) but she would have trouble with a dog that was too 'in your face' to begin with.

I've decided I don't want a puppy with Abby because I don't want a puppy learning bad habits from her or being adversely effected in their development.

Is it possible to find an adult rescue to fit our situation and would a rescue be willing to work with us? I'm at the stage where I'm very much aware that Grace will not be with us forever and Abby has never been a single dog. I'm a bit worried for the future, although she may very well adjust better than I expect.

I like having two dogs anyway, especially since I work full time.

My dogs are a big part of my life - they come exploring with me, usually join me on two walks a day and have play and training sessions. They are indoor dogs mostly, with access to outside as well.

Well you will never know what Abby is capable of until you try. I went back to fostering after our old Stafford girl left us. As we had two other female dogs I asked to only foster males, either teenaged or adult. Both our dogs were brilliant with the fosters, giving them comfort and an understanding of how we do things around here in a way I couldn't. I discovered our youngest stafford did really well with fosters who lacked confidence or who were sad. She's far more protective and nurturing than I realised. Our older dog is kind of aloof and a dibber dobber but she was good with monitoring, doggy discipline and general teaching.

The key is to find a rescue group who wont just dump dogs on you but who will let you have a say in the sex and behaviours that might suit Abby and your household best. Our only problem here was with a dominant male, but sick ones, untrained ones, despondent ones seem to do well here and it wasn't hard to find a foster who needed what we had to offer. Oh and our two never seemed to be sad when the foster left either. It was like they understood we were just helping them find their forever home. Our two also really enjoyed all the extra activities that always took place with a new foster. Command training, learning to play with toys, lots of handling and touching, exposure to new things - all the stuff you might have to do with a new foster they were part of each time, leading the way!

I think it was a really positive experience for all of us. The only reason we stopped was because we had a foster failure and have a full house.

Edited by Little Gifts

Little Gifts, that does sound like a very positive experience. I know what you mean by dogs influencing each other in ways we cannot - I've seen it with Abby and Grace. It's funny because I think Grace would actually really enjoy having foster dogs around. She is quite gregarious, very confident and self-assured. She isn't a very serious dog, she is gentle with little dogs, but playful and possibly a little too tolerant. She has her moments of activity, but is overall quite a chilled out girl. My other consideration would be her age and health, but at this stage she is still the same happy Grace, she just sleeps a little more these days. If circumstances were different, I'd love to get a puppy (rescue or otherwise) because Grace adores them and would be a very positive influence. She would be great with guiding fosters, I believe, because I know how she is with Abby. Abby without the influence of Grace in her life may have been a very different dog. They really compliment each other so well. Grace has a calming influence and Abby keeps Grace on her toes with her antics and play. Ideally, it would be great if I could foster while she was around, because she would also influence Abby in ways that I can't.

Unfortunately, Abby spent the first part of her life being wrapped in cotton wool because of her reactivity and it wasn't until I moved town and met some new friends that I started being a bit more laid back (without being irresponsible) and she has responded so well and her confidence level has soared. She has a couple of doggy friends that suit her personality, so I know it's possible.

I may look into fostering a bit further, renting complicates things a little bit and I'm not sure how I'd go with council approval, but I'll never know until I do some research. It will be very important to find the right rescue, like you say and ensure that they are willing to work with our situation. I'd like for fostering to be a positive experience for all involved.

I actually found introducing puppies to be much easier than adult dogs with Zoe who was dog aggressive. Puppies are naturally more submissive to adults, and I found that they quickly learned to leave her alone. I was able to introduce a couple of adult dogs to her to, but it was more difficult and took longer before I was comfortable with them running together.

I think there would be a lot of rescues willing to work with you - especially if you put the feelers out that you're looking for a dog who's a bit aloof.

My boy sounds perfect - he's so blasé about other dogs it's just not funny. (Sorry - no you can't have him ;) )

Some (most?) will also give you a trial period and most will make you introduce your current pets to potential pets. As someone above said - you'll only know if you try.

Maybe some off leash time with some quiet non-reactive dogs you know might be helpful when you're preparing for this (ages down the track I hope ;) )

I would also add - you just never know how Abby will react to being an only dog. My girl, who had always had one or more dogs for company was perfectly OK being an only child after her last mate passed and she really enjoyed the single life for the rest of her days.

The key is to find a rescue group who wont just dump dogs on you but who will let you have a say in the sex and behaviours that might suit Abby and your household best.

Agree with LG :thumbsup:, but adding, a rescue group whose dogs are in foster care, not dumped in holding pens somewhere, and they know the personalities of their dogs.

Given the right assistance and attitudes, I have no doubt that you could very happily introduce another dog into the mix.

Anecdotally, I have a tiny weeny little dog who is a nightmare to walk, because she is so reactive, but I can bring any dog INTO my house and yard, and I can even take her to dog training where there would be dozens of others dogs without any problems :shrug: . Who knows who is going on in the heads of reactive dogs? A huge muddle of feelings I would guess.

I would start working on your situation now to find your next dog. :)

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Guest donatella

I fostered a Chi boy with Lucy who can be a mega bitch with other dogs at first but she warmed to this boy quick (after a few growls).

I nearly kept him but he went off to a home with another Chi. I never fostered again after him as I got a second dog but I think you could make it work.

I only fostered toy breeds as have heard stories of larger fosters killing the household small dog so didn't want to risk any interaction

qamate8u.jpg

vabama7y.jpg

Not all rescue groups that have their dogs in kennels do not know their dogs, I personally have mine in a kennel situation and know my dogs very well, so "Dame Dannys Darling" please don't make the statement you made without knowing what all rescue groups do.

I actually do a lot of interstate rescue which you need to know you dogs to do and have a great success rate, I also give a months trial period which a lot of groups don't give because I believe you need that time for the dog to adjust in its new home, not 14 days.

Henrietta I think you will find quite a few groups out there that will work with you, I always get the people to bring the dog along with them to meet the new dog and also if I am not happy with the meet and greet then the dog doesn't leave me, and that again is because I know my dogs.

I would not consider putting a puppy with a dog that age, as I think it is too much to expect an older dog to put up with a puppy.

By my comment I meant that I know rescues who have so many dogs coming through the door that they retrieve from pounds and the dogs are transported straight to a carer's house. I think that is fine for some carers but not all. Certainly not fine for me and probably not for Henrietta. For the safety of this house I need to know a smidge about the dog in care. I don't care if that knowledge has been gained from a short quarantine stay, long kennel stay or even through another placement. Each carer has a certain range of valuable skills to offer a foster and a good match at that stage, where possible, benefits everybody, including the dog most in need. Plus no-one wants to see dogs bounce from foster to foster because it is a poor fit.

Not all rescue groups that have their dogs in kennels do not know their dogs, I personally have mine in a kennel situation and know my dogs very well, so "Dame Dannys Darling" please don't make the statement you made without knowing what all rescue groups do.

JRT Rescue, you know as well as I that the situation I describe exists. You are a very different kettle of fish to some :) and it is a shame more aren't like you.

I know there are a few that do exactly what you say, and I feel very sorry for these dogs because there is more to rescue then just taking these dogs from the pound and off the kill list, then there is the rehoming and not left in kennels for the rest of their life.