Outside Dogs

Taliecat

Move.

The landlords have done the dirty on you and the dogs. There is only you to stick up for your dogs. Do it. And as Haredown says, get some legal advice.

I would be packing NOW, would find something else, move out and then let them sue me. They wont, because they are wrong.

Dodgy sods

Agree and dodgy is the word.

I'd be contacting the Tenancy Tribunal, something's not right here.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Move.

The landlords have done the dirty on you and the dogs. There is only you to stick up for your dogs. Do it. And as Haredown says, get some legal advice.

I would be packing NOW, would find something else, move out and then let them sue me. They wont, because they are wrong.

Dodgy sods

Agree and dodgy is the word.

I'd be contacting the Tenancy Tribunal, something's not right here.

:( yep, especially as they would have known the whole time that a) you have inside dogs and b) they weren't going to allow you to keep them as such. Sounds like they deliberately didn't tell you until it was too late. Poor form.

Thanks to everyone and your advice.

At this point we don't have an out. I'm going to look at setting up a couch in the garage and pretty much spending all my waking hours at home in there with the dogs.

Those two are my link to sanity at the moment and I can't stand to think about not getting my cuddle time.

I'm also going to be crating them in the garage so they don't spend all night barking outside.

So we moved into a new place yesterday from the same landlords and our two dogs had previously been allowed inside and had their run of the back yard.

We've just been told that the dogs aren't allowed inside at all at our new place and this has come to massive shock as the dogs are a massive part of our lives and our couch time has been a major part of our bonding with the dogs.

Can anyone offer advice for how to get the dogs settled outside of a night?

This will be a temporary arrangement, as we'll be looking at moving around the end of August.

So, when you previously rented from these landlords - were there any problems ? Did you pay a bond to them and did you get the bond back when you moved out ?

If you have signed a lease and there was a bond involved - has this been registered with your state Tenancy Tribunal ?

I agree with others - speak to the Tenancy Tribunal as soon as you can.

Is the garage attached to the apartment or totally separate? If there is internal access to the garage could you set up a baby gate across the doorway into the apartment.

How is the lease worded - does it specifically say "dogs to be kept outside"? If not I would think it is contestable even though they told you that verbally. If they must be outside during the day is it possible to rig up some sort of tent-like shelter just outside the door so they can see in and still be protected from the elements?

So we moved into a new place yesterday from the same landlords and our two dogs had previously been allowed inside and had their run of the back yard.

We've just been told that the dogs aren't allowed inside at all at our new place and this has come to massive shock as the dogs are a massive part of our lives and our couch time has been a major part of our bonding with the dogs.

Can anyone offer advice for how to get the dogs settled outside of a night?

This will be a temporary arrangement, as we'll be looking at moving around the end of August.

So, when you previously rented from these landlords - were there any problems ? Did you pay a bond to them and did you get the bond back when you moved out ?

If you have signed a lease and there was a bond involved - has this been registered with your state Tenancy Tribunal ?

I agree with others - speak to the Tenancy Tribunal as soon as you can.

There couldn't have been any problems otherwise the landlord wouldn't have rented them a second property.

There IS a way out Taliecat, you've been dudded IMO and tomorrow I would be straight on the phone to the tribunal before the landlord has a chance to lodge the bond.

Edited by HazyWal

There IS a way out Taliecat, you've been dudded IMO and tomorrow I would be straight on the phone to the tribunal before the landlord has a chance to lodge the bond.

yes! Don't give up/in just yet . get on that phone VERY early in the morning ..have all the facts ready ..and seek good advice.

:hug:

Ok this is in the league of two wrongs don't make a right but it's very tempting given the circumstances.

I would take lots and lots of photos of every bit of the house inside and out - now so you can prove what condition it was in and what "damage" your dogs may or may not have done.

And I would sneak them in.

And I would pay my rent on time and keep the place as perfect as possible. Clean up any dog mess as soon as it happens, inside and out.

And then if they really didn't like that you were in breach of the lease - first they'd have to prove it - someone would have to take photos without breaching your privacy - and then they'd have to serve notice to "remedy breach" and then they'd have to serve notice to evict... so by then... it would practically be August. And if the place was nice - they might not bother.

I'd want to get more information about the details and timelines but it's a really tempting idea.

At this point we don't have an out. I'm going to look at setting up a couch in the garage and pretty much spending all my waking hours at home in there with the dogs.

Those two are my link to sanity at the moment and I can't stand to think about not getting my cuddle time.

I'm also going to be crating them in the garage so they don't spend all night barking outside.

If you have a garage and don't have the stomach for a legal fight, turning the garage into a living space sounds like a good option.

If you have a garage and don't have the stomach for a legal fight, turning the garage into a living space sounds like a good option.

Sometimes the path of least resistance must be walked.

I do hope a good solution can be found. I could not bear having to miss out on my contact with my dogs.

Sending good vibes Taliecat :)

I would be sneaking them in once it gets dark.

They slept inside last night after half an hour of the boy pup crying and barking and me bawling as well. They were asleep on the couch and bed respectively within 5 minutes.

Once we have creates they'll be sleeping in the garage