How Much Should A Titre Test Cost.

pirate

Called in at a vet today and asked how much do they charge for a titre test. Was rather surprised when they quoted $245.00 thought that was over priced. Thought that they were around the same price as vaccination.

Ask around and check out prices, make sure you check the holistic vets too as they are usually your best bet. You shouldn't pay any more than about $60-70 per dog, although some vets may charge you for a consult or annual checkup. I always specify that I just want the blood drawn and sent to vetpath and they only charge for the test.

Ask around and check out prices, make sure you check the holistic vets too as they are usually your best bet. You shouldn't pay any more than about $60-70 per dog, although some vets may charge you for a consult or annual checkup. I always specify that I just want the blood drawn and sent to vetpath and they only charge for the test.

When I asked the vet if they would draw blood and send it to Vetpath they told me they don't have an account with Vetpath and to open one would be more complicated that it's worth. They said I'm their only client who is asking about titre testing and that others are happy to vaccinate their dogs.

The vet also said there would be a fee for drawing the blood plus the consult fee.

Its free to open an account and pretty straight-forward by all accounts. DOLer Stormie knows a lot more about it than me though, she helped set up the account in the practice she works in. I have only ever gone to vets that already have the account (first in Sydney, then in Canberra).

Not sure where in Tasmania you are but here are a few to try:

Sandy Bay Vet

Forbes St

I'm in Vic and did a search around vets about two months ago as one of my dogs had just recovered from parvo and I wasn't keen on the idea of vaccinating for no reason. Most vets I spoke to weren't really interested in doing it and around $200 seemed to be the average price.

According to my vet nurse friend setting up a vetpath account is free so there's no real reason to not create one.

Well yes, I guess it's free to set up an account anywhere. The vets I spoke to obviously can't be bothered because they don't see a call for it.

According to my vet nurse friend setting up a vetpath account is free so there's no real reason to not create one.

Well yes, I guess it's free to set up an account anywhere. The vets I spoke to obviously can't be bothered because they don't see a call for it.

See to me that's bad practice. It's not like they're being charged an annual fee for the account so even if they only have one client benefitting they're not losing profit. I'm sure if they could be bothered with titre testing, they may find an increase in clientele, especially if they become the only vet to titre test in your area.

See to me that's bad practice. It's not like they're being charged an annual fee for the account so even if they only have one client benefitting they're not losing profit. I'm sure if they could be bothered with titre testing, they may find an increase in clientele, especially if they become the only vet to titre test in your area.

I agree Riverstar but I'm done with trying to explain this to the major partner of the vet practice. Our conversation concluded with him telling I'm uneducated because I refuse to vaccinate annually. He suggested those who don't vaccinate are riding on the coat tails of those who do vaccinate annually. If not for them Parvo and Distemper would be rife, according to him. He said it would cost $350 to titre test each dog.

This conversation took place early last year so hopefully by now he he is at least recommending 3 yearly vaccinations. It took a measure of restraint to refrain from asking him just which one of us is uneducated.

Not to be disuaded by him I recently spoke to the other partner of the practice who made enquiries and followed up by calling me to say she would titre my dogs for $180 each and if I wanted it done to make the appointment with her. She at least made some effort but said opening an account with Vetpath was too complicated. She spoke to a pathology in Melbourne. It appears her partner is still unwilling.

I'm planning on taking one of my dogs for a general health check, probably next week. I'll make the appointment with her and tell her there are many people looking for a vet in the SE 'burbs of Melb who want titre testing (we are inner SE 'burbs'). I think she would be happy to go ahead with titre testing and probably to open an account with Vetpath. It's her partner who remains 'uneducated' and she doesn't want to push the issue.

Can I just ask how to prounounce the word "titre"? :o

Evidently it's optional. My vet pronounces it tie-ter.

I always read it and pronounced it as 'titer' but then someone said it was 'tie-ter' like titration, which made sense to me :)

I don't think the vets have sorted out the pronunciated yet either. The first vet I spoke about in my previous post who's not interested in titre testing testing pronounces it tee-ter. His partner pronounces it tie-ter.

Tee-ter (as in litre)is the generally accepted English pronunciation.

Tie-ter (as in mitre)is the US way.

Dont think that it matters really..... doesnt change the cost or the results !!

See that pronunciation surprises me. I thought that tee-ter was the American way because of 'teeter totter', however, when you pair it with 'litre' that kinda makes sense too. :laugh:

But yes, they don't charge more for incorrect pronunciation thank goodness!

can i be a complete newb and ask what exactly is a titre test? xD i have never heard of it before

sorry if its a silly question

Titre testing is a way of checking a dog's antibodies/resistance to certain diseases by way of a blood test. Usually the core diseases in a normal C3 injection are tested for.

The AVA has released studies saying that dogs should only really require vaccinating every 3 years rather than annually and people titre test their dogs instead of vaccinating as it shows their resistance to these diseases and if they do require re-vaccinating or not.

Hope I got this right and that it makes sense. I'm still learning about titre testing myself! :o