Older Bitch Spay Incontinence

Just thought I would come back on here to say it has helped my dog this Corn Silk she has been on it for 2weeks and she has stopped piddling so am really pleased with that. Thanks Trifecta for the idea

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Trifecta well we had big wet patches on her chair etc and we were going to go off to the vets to get some tablets for her but than I read about that and thought I will try it out and if it doesnt work I will go off to the vet. Do you keep your dog on it or do you stop. Wasnt too sure how long to keep them on it though. I couldnt believe it worked though. Nice to clean beds etc lol

:thumbsup:

Hi Trifecta well we had big wet patches on her chair etc and we were going to go off to the vets to get some tablets for her but than I read about that and thought I will try it out and if it doesnt work I will go off to the vet. Do you keep your dog on it or do you stop. Wasnt too sure how long to keep them on it though. I couldnt believe it worked though. Nice to clean beds etc lol

:thumbsup:

I have continued with the tea, but the dog was examined by a vet to rule out any other disorders before I started it. From reading it seems you have to keep them on it, just as you would any prescribed medication. My girl has been on it for over four weeks now.

Another good old breeders remedy is to feed them and inch x inch block of TOFU. She swears by it and says it works. If not increase the dose. I've never had an incontinent bitch so cant' comment on its success but I have suggested it be used by a couple friends who's bitches were incontinent with great success.

Of course it goes without saying (to anyone reading this thread) that you will need to get your girl checked by the vet in case there is a UTI or other condition that needs treatment before you use the corn silk.

Having said that, it sounds wonderful for incontinence arising from desexing (which can happen) or just age.

Another good old breeders remedy is to feed them and inch x inch block of TOFU. She swears by it and says it works. If not increase the dose. I've never had an incontinent bitch so cant' comment on its success but I have suggested it be used by a couple friends who's bitches were incontinent with great success.

Hey that's interesting Mids, it must be due to the phytoestroegens in tofu?

OK, so any other DOLers wanting to do a trial, we now have suggestions of sweet potato & tofu to follow up? :D

Just going back to corn silk for a moment, from my reading it would seem that the tea is effective in preventing UTIs, promoting a healthy urianary tract & optimising kidney health, perhaps moreso than the often touted cranberry juice whose efficacy has recently been questioned.

PS Nice to see you, Mids, :thumbsup: where have you been? :)

Edited by trifecta

• 5 months later...

Stella my 4 year old BC spayed girl became incontinent sometimes after becoming Epilepsy effected. Her accidents usually occurred when she was asleep & would be woken suddenly,she wake up in a puddle or she'd be dripping sometimes. After reading about Corn Silk while google searching one day. For anyone interested apparently the Native American Indians have used Corn Silk for many years for anything to do with urinary tract issues. Anyway I brought some Corn Silk Caps & Stella has 2 broken into her dinner at night. We have had 2 very dry months now :cheer: Works a treat here so far I'm very pleased to say :D

Edited by BC Crazy

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Bumping this topic so I can find it again :)

I took the dog to the vet last week cause she's sprung a leak. Am ashamed it took me a week to realise :o I thought she was licking the couch.

Her urine was normal although her ph slightly high so we are trialling some new food to lower ph to see if that is the cause. Otherwise vet reckons spay incontinence :o she's only been spayed 9 months.

So if in 3 weeks when we go back the dog is still leaking, think I will try this corn silk stuff! Do not want to use the meds with side effects of irritability. We border quite close to DA as it is and don't want to cross that fence :(

Wish us luck I guess!

• 9 months later...

So an update on this topic:

A couple of months ago it became apparent that the corn silk tea was no longer effective. I swapped to the capsules but leakage continued, so it was off to the vet who found nothing remarkable.

My girl is now on Incurin. It has taken a while to get the dose down, but she is now on half a tablet every other day and we are endeavouring to further taper the dose. She is coming up to 12 years of age in November and I am heartened by the fact that the corn silk kept her off medication and the possibility of side effects for a good two years! :thumbsup:

I too am using corn silk for one of my dogs. It worked brilliantly and really quickly. Very happy with the results.

Good to hear Jules! Would be good to keep this topic active so that we can all report back periodically :thumbsup:

I too am using corn silk for one of my dogs. It worked brilliantly and really quickly. Very happy with the results.

Good to hear Jules! Would be good to keep this topic active so that we can all report back periodically :thumbsup:

Yeah I tried it because of this thread!

My report back is that it didn't work for us ????

We are currently in a lull - the incontinence comes and goes with months between. We are waiting for it to come again for more testing - although I am periodically testing her ph (oddly high some times, reasons unknown) - but the high ph and leaking doesn't seemed linked.

I made the corn silk tea so perhaps I made it wrong. I think others are using capsules?