What Is Your Areas 'trendy' Dog?

denali

Hmm not sure what's 'trendy' but in terms of what's popular I live in inner city Melbourne and I'd say it's mainly purebreds around me with a handful of large breed mutts, swfs and oodles but never in puppy form, only older dogs so I'm assuming they are slowly becoming less popular. Most popular would be German Shep, Labs and Goldens, Beagles, Miniature Schnauzers, Kelpies, BCs and Whippets. There's also a fair few Boxers, Danes and Ridgies. Yesterday was a a really diverse day at the dog park. There were kelpies, two older boxers (one in a wheelchair who is a sweetie), a Sharpei, lots of labs and lab crosses, a small pack of SWFs owned by one guy, some whippets, a Mini Schnauzer, a German Shepherd, a White Swiss Shepherd, an Irish Wolfhound, a Basenji (seen a few of these too surprisingly) a couple of terrier crosses and a beagle. When we were leaving I also saw a sheltie and a papillion! You see a few staffys and staffy crosses but I'd say kelpie and large dog mixes are the mutt of choice around here.

I've only ever seen two Frenchies in my suburb, owned by the same person outside a cafe so I'm not sure if they were even from my area because I've never seen them again. British Bulldogs are quite common though I've seen a few at the park and bumped into a lil puppy on a walk once.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in canberra now and in my area we see a mix of dogs, plenty of purebred but also designer dogs and mixed breeds. There are lots of typical family breeds like Golden retrievers, labs, border collies etc.

Also I think there are a lot more arctic breeds, I guess the climate is a more suitable down here (ie freezing most of the time :laugh:)

I just told my husband last week they are 3 new Weimaraners puppies (only a few months old each but not really same age) in 3 different families walking around our area. I don't know if it is a new trend, but I found it a bit surprising as I'd never seen one before.

Quite a few designed mixes turn up in my area as there's a huge pet store which sells puppies and they seem to have a stable of 'breeders' which supplies them. Horribly, one supplier crosses tibetan spaniels with other small breeds. Latest cross has been tibbies with cavaliers. Sure enough people at the end of this street have bought one.

I live in innercity sydney & the trendy dogs at the moment are dachshunds. Frenchies are so 2012. :laugh:

Increasingly I'm seeing Berners, maybe they'll be the next "It" dog?

The rest are the usual posh dog mix (as my friend says :laugh: ) of Retrievers (all types), Viszlas, 'oodles, Great Danes, plus the ubiquitous Staffys, a few Border collies & kelpies & a bunch of random unusual breeds.

'staffys' or anything resembling, BC/Kelpie/Labs and their various mixes, and german shepherds everywhere.

THe oodles have fallen out of favour too really I have noticed. The private school mummies still love their oodlies but everyone else apparently needs a staffy *head-desk*

... at the other end of the scale, I went to a fenced in dog park on the weekend, the 4 dogs initially there were Husky (mine) an Aussie, Akita and a Pinscher - how diverse is that? :)

Walking around my block I regularly see a guy with a Malamute and a Husky and a lovely dog wise couple with a pair a Basenjis.

'staffys' or anything resembling, BC/Kelpie/Labs and their various mixes, and german shepherds everywhere.

THe oodles have fallen out of favour too really I have noticed. The private school mummies still love their oodlies but everyone else apparently needs a staffy *head-desk*

I was at the Inverloch market last holiday weekend & couldn't get over the number of oodles, large & small. The locals assured me most of them were visiting ...

Guest Clover

Staffies, Stiffies & Stuffies :/.

Eta: mutt oodles as well.

Edited by Clover

I have noticed you do this to every topic.

You do realise that the answers do change with time?

Still interesting. I notice the change every few months almost. Interesting the breeds dejour are slightly different place to place.

I know, that is what i have found most interesting reading this, is that everywhere has its own different trend. Very cool :)

I live in innercity sydney & the trendy dogs at the moment are dachshunds. Frenchies are so 2012. :laugh: Increasingly I'm seeing Berners, maybe they'll be the next "It" dog?The rest are the usual posh dog mix (as my friend says :laugh: ) of Retrievers (all types), Viszlas, 'oodles, Great Danes, plus the ubiquitous Staffys, a few Border collies & kelpies & a bunch of random unusual breeds.

:rofl:

... at the other end of the scale, I went to a fenced in dog park on the weekend, the 4 dogs initially there were Husky (mine) an Aussie, Akita and a Pinscher - how diverse is that? :) Walking around my block I regularly see a guy with a Malamute and a Husky and a lovely dog wise couple with a pair a Basenjis.

wow! That is an awesome mix :)

I love seeing different breeds that are not quite so common. So that is lovely :)

Inner city where I am, all of the oodles. Still very very popular here.

Suburbs, where I live right now it's all about labs/retrievers, kelpies and BCs. Bigger 'family' dogs. The dog park where I go however borders on a few other suburbs and it's boxers and bullies as far as the eye can see. A few kelpies, oodles and healers get around but not many. All the trendy kids walk their doggies by the lake and foreshore. In those areas lots of mini/toy breeds along with your bigger/giants huskies and danes. Lots of very expensive pure breeds with people gathering around talking about bloodlines and fancy diets.

Where my MIL lives staffies. All of the staffies. Mixed to the crapper. Backyard mutts. What you'd typically call a 'dog'.

There is a small influx of people getting French and English bulldogs along with bostons for apartment living. But that's more because I network with people who are into the fancier bull breeds.

People who own pure bull breeds that keep them outside are far and few between because of the level of dog theft for those kind in the area. Usually very secure and in quiet suburbs.

Oh and I see koolies/coolies around a fair bit too. Seems like they are the 'new' breed here.

Edited by apocalypsepwnie

Frenchies have exploded around here, and Bostons to an extent. Labs, GSDs, Border Collies and "English staffies" (no purebred Staffords in sight :() are everywhere too. The usual oodles as well, this is a big area of families.

Around here (inner northern suburbs of Brisbane), there's the usual 'oodle "designer" dogs (and their owners who like to tell me about "hybrid vigour" while in reality they bought from a petshop supplied by puppy farmers :banghead:).

That aside, there doesn't seem to be a particularly trendy breed at the moment at our dog park or in our suburb. Mostly medium to larger dogs - lots of Labradors, a few Golden Retrievers and Great Danes, some Jack Russells and lots of working dog breeds like Kelpies and Border Collies.

For some reason, Italian Greyhounds seem to be really well known all of a sudden despite no one actually owning one around here. I constantly get asked if Astro (my now 11kg and still growing, rather lanky and entirely too large to be an IG, Whippet) is an Italian Greyhound.