Neuticals

Isn't there something in the Vet's Code of Ethics (or governing rules) that they don't perform cosmetic surgery on animals?

I think you're right. I'm not sure I'd trust a vet who considered doing it. OP have you even spoken to your vet about it?

I agree.

I think this could be a case for a vasectomy?

Though depending on the reasons he is being desexed.

Or the OP's OH could just get over it :laugh:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want them. I wanted the responses so I could make a valid argument as to why it's a bad idea.

My main issue is I don't want Vinnie to go through extra pain for no reason.

The dog theft point is extremely valid in my area, thanks!

Isn't there something in the Vet's Code of Ethics (or governing rules) that they don't perform cosmetic surgery on animals?

Vets make a small fortune out of cosmetic surgery.

Oh dear seriously? Maybe you could say because all the other dogs in the neighbourhood would point and laugh and say "oh looky here, here comes Vinnie plastic balls", imagine the embarrassment poor Vinnie would endure. If my partner was foolish enough to actually mention that to me he wouldn't get a valid arguement because there isn't one, a good poke in the eye would snap him out of that one quick smart.

Oh dear seriously? Maybe you could say because all the other dogs in the neighbourhood would point and laugh and say "oh looky here, here comes Vinnie plastic balls", imagine the embarrassment poor Vinnie would endure. If my partner was foolish enough to actually mention that to me he wouldn't get a valid arguement because there isn't one, a good poke in the eye would snap him out of that one quick smart.

Hahahaha all of this!

:laugh:

Why neuter the dog at all

One could argue the pro's & con's of this one forever.

The owner has made the probable best & most sensible decision to neuter.

If her partner wants neuticals you can bet that if the dog was not desexed her partner would think it a good idea for the dog to be a man & spread its wild oats too.

As the neuticals are not wanted to fake it in the show ring & get the dog titled the reason would be its man thing. So its best to respect the decision & stick to the point really on this one.

How ridiculous.

I don't think anyone here would disagree, but it won't be a good enough argument for Apo's masculinity challenged partner LOL.

Why neuter the dog at all

There really needs to be a "big yawn" or "done to death" emoticon.

I hope you have success in challenging and stopping your partner's stupid idea, Apocalypsepwnie

I've always said the only reason doof is obsessed with fetching and stealing tennis balls is cos he wants a stash just in case the vet says they can be surgically reattached to replace his testicles :laugh:

I have a friend who did this. Her dog wasn't entire so they removed the undescended testicle and inserted the fake one. It healed completely normally and I wouldn't have said it was any more traumatic than a normal desex. I always thought it felt a little funny, perhaps if he didn't have a normal one and a fake one it might not have been as obvious but it did feel quite different

If it gets people to desex that wouldn't otherwise, then that's fine by me :shrug:

Obviously if you can save yourself the cost of the implants themselves that's better for you guys - but if that's your husbands condition for the desexing then it's not the end of the world.

We aren't going to use them :thumbsup:

He was worried when I mentioned the possibility of being stolen because he was a 'whole' dog and then possibly being killed or used as a bait dog because he can't breed and is no use.

My partner does want to breed him but 1) he has no papers so no one trustworthy would go near him 2)there are enough dogs that need homes in my area and I went against my ethics to get vinnie as a 'guide' for our next pup who'll be a rescue.

Thanks for the responses.

And yes, there is no point in trying to get me to change my mind on desexing. If theft wasn't an issue I'd have a vasectomy but it is so there is no question. I don't need him getting out or another getting in accidentally for a breed of mixed dogs who'll either end up with crappy owners for $50 or end up in a shelter. That's the way it ends up in my area. Noone wants my kind of dog, particularly not a mix, unless it's a staffy or lab mix.

Just re getting him as a guide, it does go both ways, we have a rescue with some bad habits and Gus has picked up a lot of those. You should always get a dog for you and remember regardless of how a dog comes to you its still going to be part of your family for 10+ years, so do what you want and what's right for your family.

SOME vets! My wonderful vet would not tail dock even when it was legal.

Vets make a small fortune out of cosmetic surgery.