Puppy Biting Rugs And Pet Bed

kwirky

Hello,

Our little Murphy (11 week golden retriever) has a fascination for biting/chewing his futon and floor rugs and mats. This usually is during one of his frenetic phases.

We have tried the growls, shaking a can of stones, and offering him something else however this lasts only for a few seconds and then he is at it again. We have also tried the bitterant spray, although he doesn't seem to mind the taste!

Does anyone have any other suggestions which have worked?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

post-36628-139926230187_thumb.jpg

He has heaps of different types of toys (squeeky, kong, ropes etc) and we let him out to play several times during the day.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

..are they toys he really likes? or are they toys which appealed to you ;) there is a difference.

Chew things can be large bones ... deer antlers ... frozen chunks of meat /frozen turkey wings ....

is he on lead/in a pen when indoors at all ?

he may well need to be taught to stay off things - and if he is a bed chewer- well he gets old opshop towels/blankets /newspaper ! :p

What do you do when you catch him chewing?

As everyone above has mentioned, it's very normal so we remove any expensive fancy bedding from the puppies until they're less mouthy.

They don't necessarily like the chew toys until you make them interesting so you may to wave them around, drag them along the ground and play with them in a way which makes the pup think that they are awesome.

If that doesn't work, we find that all our foster puppies love chewing up cardboard rolls from the middle of a toilet roll or a paper towel. Our dogs also like antlers to chew on. Pups tend to have a pretty short attention span so you can usually divert their attention to something else you'd rather they chew on.

That being said, we are fostering a Kelpie puppy right now who, despite having heaps of toys, has a strange adoration for my slippers. As soon as my foot comes out of the slipper, if I'm not paying attention, the slipper is annexed and taken into the crate :laugh:

He's in an early teething stage and it might hurt to chew on harder things.

My vinnie prefers soft toys (he's just finished teething and is 6 months on Friday) and LOOOOOOVES to tear apart a toilet roll or box when allowed.

Unfortunately dogs will usually destroy things they aren't meant to. We can train them as best as we can but sometimes it happens.

I echo the advice everyone is giving. We all go through this with our puppies. Cardboard is great, if you are willing to deal with the mess! Toilet rolls with some treats or kibble stuffed in, and the ends folded in are great, or a plastic bottle with the lid removed, and a small hole cut into the side, also with treats, so they can nose it to get the kibble out.

What worked for us with the chewing of rugs was vicks Vaporub. Our dogs do not like the smell, and so don't chew things with a smear rubbed on. Of course, make sure he does not consider it to be food!

Good luck with this phase, breathe and relax, this too will pass!

he is a normal puppy .

What things does he have which he IS allowed to chew?

How much time does he spend exploring outside?

Give him a cardboard box to sleep in and some old blankets as bedding until he grows up a bit

Mine are 5 now and still eat their beds :laugh: they get op shop blankets now!

:laugh: I came home to snow inside last week, I had taken the outside cover off the big communal bed to wash and tucked a blanket over and underneath it.

I had had a very busy few days and not spent nearly enough time with the dogs, then I decided to have lunch at work rather than come home because I was exhausted.

Apparently that was the last straw :laugh:

Agree with what others have said, warm cheap bedding for now, interesting toys/stimulation/training.

Empty plastic soft drink bottles are fantastic toys (lid and label removed) cardboard boxes, toilet rolls. Nylabones are also great for teething and chewing. Treat balls keep puppies busy for a while, you can feed part of their meals that way.

Hi all. I grabbed a mailing tube last night an put some treats in and put the plastic covers back on. No crazies last night!!!

We have a towel over the bed (tucked in) and although he has the other stuff and exercise he will randomly grab the corner and pull the towel off, then start chewing on the futon cover. Have tried taking the towel off but he will still have a go.

When he starts this I grab a toy and try and entice him to grab this. Once he does I smooth out the bed again. Then it starts over.

Ideally I would like to get him to understand that this is not acceptable just like the mouthing of feet etc.

I have taken away the bed and just put some towels instead for now. I am thinking that I will put it back and then remove it again when he starts chewing.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Oh yes the corner of the bed covers is the BEST !! Couldn't tell you how often I come home to find Sonny's bed out in the middle of the back yard after he had towed it all the way out there :laugh: They are just being puppies. I miss that actually. So much fun.

As far as mouthing you feet, I haven't had that problem but I would just gently but firmly hold his muzzle with a low toned "no" & turn away. Don't have to be rough just firm & consistent. He will gt the message.

Enjoy Murphy, he's lovely :)

LOL Koalabear and your slipper disappearing into the crate.

Also LOL kwirky - Murphy thinks you are playing a game with him by readying the bed. The more you smooth it out after him, the more fun he has messing it up. :laugh: :laugh:

11 weeks - such a baby beautiful time. Don't let it pass by as a time of frustration. :)

Kwirky one of the most valuable things you need (or will very quickly develop) is a sense of humour!

Murphy looks like an angel in your pic :laugh: It always makes me laugh as we all know how naughty puppies can be.

There is great tips and advice in this thread, I also agree relax and enjoy Murphy :)

Murphy might prefer a messy bed or 'nest' my large breed must have a messy bed, if I fix it up she gives me death rays and fixes it.