Akita Rescue

Does anyone know of an Akita rescue in Vic?

Sooky has just come in to Mildura pound, she isn't on the thread yet. Hopefully the picture will enlarge if you click on it

post-32592-0-44707300-1399275708_thumb.jpg

Edited by valbitz

I had a look at the Akita Breed Club but there was nothing there about rescuing or rehoming that I saw. Will contact them anyway to see if they can help. Will also try Artic breed rescue

Thanks for the help everyone

Gisborne Kennels in Bullengarook, Victoria (just outside Gisborne) are Akita breeders and very rescue friendly. Maybe give them a call?

Thanks Aphra I'll contact them in the morning.

I've contacted the Akita Club and Arctic Breed rescue and they haven't got back to me but I'm hoping they have contacted the pound. I did hear back from Gisborne Kennels and unfortunately they can't help but have given me the name and number of a breeder in Broken Hill so they will be my next port of call. I'm hoping the volunteers will have time to do an assessment in the next couple of days as that could make it easier.

I put up the link to the girl in the pound on the facebook akita group for you as well so we do know of her and we are trying to get her some help :)

--Lhok

Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

I have put up some better photos of her in the Mildura thread courtesy of one of the wonderful volunteers.

The only other information I have so far is that she walks fine on lead and she was introduced to a Great Dane and was fine till the Dane jumped on her she let out a growl and was pulled up and she was fine after that. They will test her with another dog later in the week. I have been told she will only be allowed to go home, to an Akita rescue or maybe an Akita breeder that rescues they will not allow her to be adopted.

I have put up some better photos of her in the Mildura thread courtesy of one of the wonderful volunteers.

The only other information I have so far is that she walks fine on lead and she was introduced to a Great Dane and was fine till the Dane jumped on her she let out a growl and was pulled up and she was fine after that. They will test her with another dog later in the week. I have been told she will only be allowed to go home, to an Akita rescue or maybe an Akita breeder that rescues they will not allow her to be adopted.

There isn't any specific Akita rescue although there are some rescues that do take them from time to time so that is a little worrying. Any reason as to why they won't let her be adopted? I know I wasn't there but having a great dane jump on her and her growling wouldn't be something I would be overly concerned about especially if the great dane was also female as they are prone to not really liking the same sex.

--Lhok

There isn't any specific Akita rescue although there are some rescues that do take them from time to time so that is a little worrying. Any reason as to why they won't let her be adopted? I know I wasn't there but having a great dane jump on her and her growling wouldn't be something I would be overly concerned about especially if the great dane was also female as they are prone to not really liking the same sex.

--Lhok

One of the temporary Local Law Officers claims that 75% of the dog incidences he is called out for involve an Akita (I have my opinion on that but it won't be stated here), and that they are aggressive dogs. He claims they are dangerous and I agree they can be if they belong to the wrong owner, but then again so can almost any dog. He said his opinion of the breed was based on his experience with them. Originally he said the dog would only be released back to the owner, however he has let me try to find breed specific rescue for her. I doubt the owner will claim the dog which is why I am trying to find breed specific (or close to) rescue for her.

I don't know about the girl's history but will try and find out. The volunteer that had her out yesterday said Sooky responded well to her but I'm still worried about her future.

--Lhok

One of the temporary Local Law Officers claims that 75% of the dog incidences he is called out for involve an Akita (I have my opinion on that but it won't be stated here), and that they are aggressive dogs. He claims they are dangerous and I agree they can be if they belong to the wrong owner, but then again so can almost any dog. He said his opinion of the breed was based on his experience with them. Originally he said the dog would only be released back to the owner, however he has let me try to find breed specific rescue for her. I doubt the owner will claim the dog which is why I am trying to find breed specific (or close to) rescue for her.

I don't know about the girl's history but will try and find out. The volunteer that had her out yesterday said Sooky responded well to her but I'm still worried about her future.

Oh that doesn't sound good on the part of the ranger.. Bit odd considering there really isn't all that many of them to begin with. ABR have her up on their facebook page today looking for people to either adopt her outright or foster care her, but after what has been said about akitas by the ranger I doubt any one will be able to adopt her straightout. I wish I was in a better position I would start my own Akita centric rescue or at least start up a donations bank account to help with them.

--Lhok

It's raining Akitas :( Another girl, 3yo, thankfully desexed, surrendered at Queanbeyan pound. Sounds like she has a nice temperament, so hopefully she will get adoption :crossfingers:

ETA Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread, valbitz - any good news for the Mildura dog?

Edited by trifecta

It's raining Akitas :( Another girl, 3yo, thankfully desexed, surrendered at Queanbeyan pound. Sounds like she has a nice temperament, so hopefully she will get adoption :crossfingers:

ETA Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread, valbitz - any good news for the Mildura dog?

Do you have a link to her? I'll see if anyone can help her out within the akita peoples, we have had 4 so far in the pounds just this week. No idea why this is happening :(

Editing to add: Found the link and have posted it up on the FB group. Will be hoping to talk to some people to try and get her some help.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

Hijack away trifecta, don't have a problem with it.

I sent ABR some new photos, don't know if they are their page yet. Not having much luck with breeders but I will keep trying

Hijack away trifecta, don't have a problem with it.

I sent ABR some new photos, don't know if they are their page yet. Not having much luck with breeders but I will keep trying

Nope they aren't on the page at the moment, but they might be busy. Thank you for doing everything you can for this girl.

--Lhok