Help! My Stafford Is Pregnant

tesslc

As a breeder I would be livid this was allowed to happen. Why did you not contact them as soon as the mating occurred? For the dog I bred sake's I would do everything to help you out but be prepared to cop some wrath first up. I would also be angry with myself for trusting you to not allow this to happen and be wondering where I went wrong.

Very helpful :laugh:

Read the desex thing wrong of course. I was thinking why does she need to desex the dog that soon.

well the OP asked for the good, the bad, the ugly. This is how I would react so was warning her. Other breeders will react the same way, others again will react differently. Mainly I would be kicking myself for not keeping in better contact with the owner cause surely if the owner and breeder were in reasonable contact then the subject of the dog being pregnant would have already come up. People are saying, rightly, contact the bitches breeder, OP needs to be aware the breeder might not be very happy with them! Doesn't mean they won't help.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure she said that that's why she hasn't already contacted the breeder - she already feels bad enough without getting scolded further.

She was given bad advice from a professional she should have been able to trust, but has been taking full responsibility for the outcome - I'm not sure what would ever be achieved by getting upset at someone in that situation :(

I wouldn't be happy at all as a breeder, but then I wouldn't be happy with myself either for homing a female pup in a home where they had an entire male and no foolproof method of keeping them separate. Dogs and bitches will do whatever they can to get to each other, I would have wanted a little more security than 1 inside 1 outside, or I would have offered to take the bitch back during seasons to be safe. Surely the possibility would have entered the breeders mind when choosing that home, that they have an entire male and accidents can happen? I would much prefer to be told when it first became a possibility, than to find out after the pups are born. It would feel like this person I entrusted with one of my dogs was keeping things from me.

As far as the late stage abortion goes, not all vets are going to be comfortable doing it. It is a huge emotional ask on them to open up a dog, take out otherwise healthy, fully developed puppies and end their life. Some vets can switch their emotions off and do it, many cannot though and I would never think ill of a vet for choosing not to do an abortion at this stage of pregnancy. Same goes for not reviving pups during C-section, some will be able to do it, many will not. That is human nature.

As for the original vet, I'd like to give them a slap upside the head.

She's due next week, that's super late term termination.

Do your research, let her have the pups, spay her ASAP after that and I agree, desex the pups before you rehome them.

It won't be a popular view but plenty of unplanned, unregistered puppies are born every day and it isn't the end of the world. Just do not let it happen again!

ETA - contact RSPCA QLD if you can't find a vet that will early desex puppies, they should be able to refer you to someone.

ETA also - read through the Breeders Forum on here, lots of helpful info :)

Agreed. I don't blame you for not wanting to desex when she is due next week and I wouldn't blame any vets that would not do it either. Others have given great advice esp with the considerations with C-section and care after the birth ect. Hopefully the breeder will give you some advice on the whelping and raising of the pups and care of mum.

Hope all goes well for you. Keep us updated.

oh good lord..playing the devils advocate and putting on my flame suit here:

If the OP was really interested in advice wouldn't they have posted earlier?

All advice given (all of it great) has been tossed back in to post...Im pretty sure OP had already made their mind up before coming on DOL.

Call me cynical, but I read first two posts and then went to get a jacket and some crisps to sit down and read... :laugh:

I'm pretty sure she said that that's why she hasn't already contacted the breeder - she already feels bad enough without getting scolded further.

She was given bad advice from a professional she should have been able to trust, but has been taking full responsibility for the outcome - I'm not sure what would ever be achieved by getting upset at someone in that situation :(

if you ever breed then you would understand

Accidents happen even to the best breeders. The situation is not ideal, but they now have to deal with it. No use jumping down the OP throat. The pups are a week off being born.

I would not risk desexing at this late stage. Read up all you can, see the litter through and then find the best homes you can for the pups. Desex the bitch later. (Either during a sect if needed or about 16-20 weeks after pups are born, this allows the uterus and blood vessels to shrink back to normal) Christina has given some good advice about what to expect.

Not totally reliable, but take her temperature from now until she is due. Start off with twice a day around the same time each day. From about 58 days, if you can, take it 4-5 times throughout the day. Average temp should be 37.4 ish. First stage of labour will begin with a temp drip to 36. If you miss it, don't worry. If you do get the temp drop, this is good as whelping will occur between 12-72 hours later. My maidens generally whelped about 59 days. Get her use to sleeping in her "whelping box/area" now. Cheapest option is those plastic kiddy pool clams. Line it with paper for her to dig up. Even if necessary make a Tent over the whelping box using chairs and a sheet to create a den. She may want to whelp in your wardrobe.

You will need some stainless steel scizzors that you sterilise to cut the cords. I just boil mine for 10 minutes when she goes into first stages. You can pinch the umbilical cord about an inch from the belly and cut. Don't pull on it or allow the bitch to be rough or pull on it as this can also cause umbilical hernias. Let her chew the cord and clean them, just watch they are not too rough which maidens can be. Grab some carnation milk and you can give this to your bitch while whelping. Goats milk is also good.

Get in touch with your breeder. They should be able to help. Best of luck

I just wanted to wish you good luck and I hope everything goes well. Please keep us updated on the whelping. There are lots of experienced knowledgeable people here who have given you some great advice and I think it's a good start that you found the courage to post here even though you knew people wouldn't be pleased. I agree you should contact your breeder. All the best to you and your dog.

In your situation I would de-sex/abort even at this late stage, IF I could find a vet to do so as I can understand it must be very traumatic for all. I have had a litter born 10 days early, all survived, so a week out they would certainly be born alive.

Do you know how many pups she is having - for this you will need an x-ray from a decent machine & a good vet to read the results.

Make absolutely positively sure you know where you can go for GOOD repro help in the middle of the night - (it's always the middle of the night). Make sure you know what clinic is open when, how much it will cost and that you have the money available up front. For an emergency clinic budget anywhere between $1500 and $3000 but make sure you KNOW.

If she has more than 2 or 3 pups, I would strongly suggest you consider culling the litter down to this number - firstly because it's virtually impossible to find responsible homes for Stafford pups and secondly because she will manage better with just a few.

I find it curious that your dogs are tested clear of L2 & HC - why would you bother to DNA test a bitch you never planned on breeding from?

oh good lord..playing the devils advocate and putting on my flame suit here:

If the OP was really interested in advice wouldn't they have posted earlier?

All advice given (all of it great) has been tossed back in to post...Im pretty sure OP had already made their mind up before coming on DOL.

Call me cynical, but I read first two posts and then went to get a jacket and some crisps to sit down and read... :laugh:

To clarify (and maybe this wasn't clear in my initial post) I have already decided to go through with the pregnancy. Given the risks of terminating this late, I don't want to take that option. I am looking for advice in relation to the birth itself (and thank you to everyone who has provided it).

I haven't contacted my breeder as I feel terrible that this has happened. My breeder had originally indicated that she would be happy at a later stage to discuss us becoming registered breeders (both dogs are from the same breeder) as she was happy with the paring, but that wasn't what I wanted. I just wanted them as pets and thought I was doing the right thing by letting my girl have her first heat. Now I feel embarrassed and like a bad mum for not realising how much they would try to get to each other. As said, we had a box and the only reason she was inside was for a bit of a cuddle before going to work.

In your situation I would de-sex/abort even at this late stage, IF I could find a vet to do so as I can understand it must be very traumatic for all. I have had a litter born 10 days early, all survived, so a week out they would certainly be born alive.

Do you know how many pups she is having - for this you will need an x-ray from a decent machine & a good vet to read the results.

Make absolutely positively sure you know where you can go for GOOD repro help in the middle of the night - (it's always the middle of the night). Make sure you know what clinic is open when, how much it will cost and that you have the money available up front. For an emergency clinic budget anywhere between $1500 and $3000 but make sure you KNOW.

If she has more than 2 or 3 pups, I would strongly suggest you consider culling the litter down to this number - firstly because it's virtually impossible to find responsible homes for Stafford pups and secondly because she will manage better with just a few.

I find it curious that your dogs are tested clear of L2 & HC - why would you bother to DNA test a bitch you never planned on breeding from?

The vet could only feel two - but, as indicated in my initial post, the surgery's x-ray machine is down at the moment, so we won't have a clear number until later this week.

The DNA testing was conducted by our breeder prior to us getting both our dogs. They were both show dogs initially and we got them when they were both 5 months old.

clear by parentage?

Could well mean clear by parentage but she says tested.

The DNA testing was conducted by our breeder prior to us getting both our dogs. They were both show dogs initially and we got them when they were both 5 months old.

Ok - now this is getting bizarre, I'm outta here.

Hope your bitch is fine having these pups, please contact her breeder.

I'm not a breeder, only a pet owner, but please, please, PLEASE contact your breeder. They'll be more livid if they find out later what happened so it'll go over much better for everyone involved the sooner you get in contact.

Best of luck with your girl and I really hope the whelping goes smoothly. If your breeder is close by, maybe they might even offer to come be with you when the bitch goes into whelp. At the very least, you'd be able to sit on the phone during labour and talk to your breeder whilst it's happening.

:eek:

:eek:

me too....

Best of luck OP - I wouldn't want to kill the pups either :(

I've been reading along with this, and some awesme advice is in here. I ma not a breeder, so have no advice on that front.

but i would say contact your breeders, as she may know of some responsible homes for the puppies? :shrug:

ETA: good luck, hope all goes smoothly

Edited by denali