Help! My Stafford Is Pregnant

tesslc

Why are some so quick to say move the male dog off the premises? I, and others don't get rid of all other dogs when a bitch whelp's and mine whelps in the loungeroom

I don't get this either ..she will probably be more relaxed if she knows he's around :)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for everyone's advice regarding the whelping etc. I haven't been able to get hold of my breeder today but will keep trying.

Thankfully we have a couple of family members/good family friends who have indicated they would be happy to have one of the pups. If she has a small litter, we may be able to re-home all the pups to people we know well, which would be wonderful!

I have spoken to my vet and they have indicated they would be happy to de-sex the pups at about 8 weeks, prior to re-homing, which is great news!

You poor bugger it took me forever to write that post in between my children and dogs and the thread is another two pages long :laugh:

Good news re desexing bubs prior to homing :) My vet has desexed my rescue puppies at 8 weeks (very healthy, tubby, robust puppies) and mum (doing just as well as bubs) at the same time.

Every mum and litter is different, if desex is not recommended by your vet at eight weeks it simply means having the puppies with you for a bit longer (or as long as it takes) to desex/responsibly rehome.

I would not worry about potential homes just yet (you can begin a list perhaps) get your head around what you need to do right now and get organised for that.

One step at a time :)

What I am trying to say is that IMO it is really unfair to brow beat and hammer the OP re aborting and culling, esspecially when it is something she is clearly not comfortable in even considering.

Think about moving your male to your MIL's. Your girl (despite the fact they get along well even now) will not like him being around. She will want and need to focus on her puppies with no distractions it is also much easier for you.

One person suggested culling and another, me, agreed with it. How is that browbeating and hammering? I agree to not abort/desex the bitch now as it is too risky to the bitch but yes I would cull (browbeating and hammering cause I said it again)

Why are some so quick to say move the male dog off the premises? I, and others, don't get rid of all other dogs when a bitch whelp's and mine whelps in the loungeroom

You have been a registered breeder for how long Rebane?

You don't move males away because you are set up for it AND you have great experience.

The two dogs got to each other, clearly something has fallen appart!

Unless there is some sort of weird thing going on about the OP and the circumstances I am well unaware of what is wrong with suggesting moving the male?

Why are some so quick to say move the male dog off the premises? I, and others don't get rid of all other dogs when a bitch whelp's and mine whelps in the loungeroom

I don't get this either ..she will probably be more relaxed if she knows he's around :)

Really Pers? I have to disagree.

Despite the fact the OP does not have any experience with whelping so far?

It is one thing having the perfect 'setup' and 'experience' as a breeder (endless years of it) it is another expecting someone with no experience (who has asked for help) to have the ability, confidence and knowledge that you all do.

You don't move males away because you are set up for it AND you have great experience.

Unless there is some sort of weird thing going on about the OP and the circumstances I am well unaware of what is wrong with suggesting moving the male?

Nic.B you have whelped more litters then me! But yes I see your point about the two dogs got together when they shouldn't have. Whatever makes it easiest for everyone which includes the young bitch.

One person suggested culling and another, me, agreed with it. How is that browbeating and hammering? I agree to not abort/desex the bitch now as it is too risky to the bitch but yes I would cull (browbeating and hammering cause I said it again)

I am not the OP though I would find having opinions am not comfortable with forced down my throat very difficult.

Obviouisly you have culled litters and late aborted and you are familiar with it.

The OP has not!

I am not the OP though I would find having opinions am not comfortable with forced down my throat very difficult.

Obviouisly you have culled litters and late aborted and you are familiar with it.

The OP has not!

Nope never aborted a litter at any stage or culled.

Nic.B you have whelped more litters then me! But yes I see your point about the two dogs got together when they shouldn't have. Whatever makes it easiest for everyone which includes the young bitch.

:laugh: I was thrown into it head first and it was very difficult for me I can assure you. I looked like I stuck my finger in a powerpoint after my first whelp.

I worried too much mostly and spent lots of time asking questions, which reminds me of the OP.

:laugh: I was thrown into it head first and it was very difficult for me I can assure you. I looked like I stuck my finger in a powerpoint after my first whelp.

I worried too much mostly and spent lots of time asking questions, which reminds me of the OP.

doesn't everyone :laugh:

doesn't everyone :laugh:

I should have said I felt like I stuck my finger in a powerpoint for about three days and then it just went on, and on and on :laugh:

Anyway, I remember that first whelp and it was a very difficult time for me from start to finish.

Little ding bats are living the life of their dreams and I get pic's of them chilling out on the beach or having puppy chino's in a cafe.

Wow! Each time I check back there's a whole new page of posts! Again, thanks for all the advice and support. I think we will move our boy away and if our girl appears to be fretting (may be difficult to tell as she's probably going to be very stressed anyway) we might think about bringing him back. I think its going to be a 'play-it-by-ear' situation.

How long would you suggest he be away? Until the puppies are a few weeks old? Until they're weaned? The whole time? I should note that I have fostered kittens (bottle-fed kittens) and my boy was fine with them, played with them, slept with them etc. Although I never, ever left him unattended with them, I was comfortable that he wouldn't hurt them on purpose. I know puppies are different, but just an indication that he is very gentle natured.

My bitch won't tolerate any of the other animals in our household near the whelping box for the first 2-3 weeks. After that she keeps a close eye on the interactions but will allow it and then at around 5 weeks she couldn't care who is near the pups.

Next question - how active should she be now (about a week out from whelping)? I am watching her and my boy play fight/wrestle as I type and she's the main offender! She lays down as soon as she's tired and he leaves her alone, but then she starts it again.

I haven't walked her for the last two days (since we found out) - not sure whether I should walk her tomorrow morning or leave her at home?

Let her play if she wants to - just be aware that if she bashes against a hard surface on the wrong angle she could damage herself so just be aware of where she's playing. Yes she should be walked - giving birth requires a fit and muscular body.

Next question - how active should she be now (about a week out from whelping)? I am watching her and my boy play fight/wrestle as I type and she's the main offender! She lays down as soon as she's tired and he leaves her alone, but then she starts it again.

I haven't walked her for the last two days (since we found out) - not sure whether I should walk her tomorrow morning or leave her at home?

IMO It is not activity levels. Please think about a holiday with the MIL for your male.

Gentle, short easy walks if she is open to it and willing. Otherwise leave and supervise her.

Wow! Each time I check back there's a whole new page of posts! Again, thanks for all the advice and support. I think we will move our boy away and if our girl appears to be fretting (may be difficult to tell as she's probably going to be very stressed anyway) we might think about bringing him back. I think its going to be a 'play-it-by-ear' situation.

How long would you suggest he be away? Until the puppies are a few weeks old? Until they're weaned? The whole time? I should note that I have fostered kittens (bottle-fed kittens) and my boy was fine with them, played with them, slept with them etc. Although I never, ever left him unattended with them, I was comfortable that he wouldn't hurt them on purpose. I know puppies are different, but just an indication that he is very gentle natured.

Are you able to seperate them 100% if you need to?

No, rough play is not good for a female about to whelp.

IMO the owner can put her energy into much more positive and constuctive things and interactions with her female aside from playing "rough" a week from whelp.

Edited by Nic.B