Help! My Stafford Is Pregnant

tesslc

I have spoken to my vet and they have indicated they would be happy to de-sex the pups at about 8 weeks, prior to re-homing, which is great news!

I don't understand... Why is it ok to desex these new puppies at 8 weeks, but it wasn't ok to desex your female dog at 8, 9 or 10 months before she had her first season?

Different vet Tatelina :)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have spoken to my vet and they have indicated they would be happy to de-sex the pups at about 8 weeks, prior to re-homing, which is great news!

I don't understand... Why is it ok to desex these new puppies at 8 weeks, but it wasn't ok to desex your female dog at 8, 9 or 10 months before she had her first season?

Our old vet recommended letting her have her first season. My new vet has told me that's an old wives tale.

Good on you for speaking to the breeder and thumbs up to the breeder for being supportive and offering assistance. good luck with it all, fingers crossed everything goes smoothly :)

I've had 2 border collies get out on their first seasons. The gaps they have squeezed out of have been amazing! The first one I lost over night. I was devastated. I was lucky that both were not pregnant. For all my girls that very first season has been the one were they have gone really nutso. Amber didn't try and escape (she never has) but had a full on phantom complete with milk production.

There is a lot to be said for desexing prior to the first season!

I can't offer any advice, but good on you for asking questions here, talking to a different vet and especially the breeder. All of this takes guts and shows you really care for the welfare of your dogs and the expected litter. Accidents do happen and you are standing up to take responsibility so well done to you.

I hope things go smoothly and it seems like there are a number of people here that are giving you great advice and now that you have the breeder and vet to help you, things are looking brighter. :)

I would recommend booking your girl in for an xray on 3 days before she is due (so Mon/Tue) to count how many and to see if they will fit. If she only has a couple or the pups are to big then a C-section is needed. As she is a maiden I would not book an elective C-section but let her start the labour process as this will help kick in the hormones needed for milk etc, the first stage of labour can go on for hours so you will have plenty of time to get to the vets from the first signs.

Staffords are known to have cleft pallets so you will need to check the pups, some are very serve and you can tell easily, some you will need to check the roof of the mouth all the way to the back (if unsure take to your vets straight after whelping). Cleft pallet pups will need to be put to sleep as they can not suckle and will starve to death. Not all dogs are natural mothers and it is best to stay with the mother for the first week, this means sleeping with her and pups, personally I do not leave maidens alone with pups at all for the first 3-5 days or until I feel comfortable.

It is best to have her in a quiet room away from your male and visitors as some mothers can be very protective and accidently injure pups.

I recommend weigh each pup daily to make sure they are putting on weight.

If you need help or have more questions please PM me.

It is to late to become registered breeders now but never to late to be responsible with the new lives you are about to bring into this world :)

Leanne

Since this is going through I demand a plethora of puppy pictures provided at all times upon request as well as randomly. Thank you.

I was going to say the same :laugh:

I will definitely post photos when the puppies arrive. I'm feeling a little more confident today; I had a lengthy discussion with my vet yesterday and she suggested letting my girl at least go into labour, rather then having an elective c-section. She is confident all will go well but did tell me if its getting close to AH and nothing is happening, get her up to the surgery so I don't get slugged with extra fees.

The whelping box is ready to go and my girl had a nap it in last night. She's still sleeping in our room (I don't think I will be able to change that until the time comes - she whines and barks if she's not in the bedroom with us and our boy). I'm going to go to the op-shop on Saturday and stock up on old sheets - I've got a few, but I would rather be super prepared and most of our rags are old towels with loopy fabric.

Thanks again all - photos to come!

I can't offer any advice, but good on you for asking questions here, talking to a different vet and especially the breeder. All of this takes guts and shows you really care for the welfare of your dogs and the expected litter. Accidents do happen and you are standing up to take responsibility so well done to you.

I hope things go smoothly and it seems like there are a number of people here that are giving you great advice and now that you have the breeder and vet to help you, things are looking brighter. :)

Agreed... :)

Since this is going through I demand a plethora of puppy pictures provided at all times upon request as well as randomly. Thank you.

I was going to say the same :laugh:

I will definitely post photos when the puppies arrive. I'm feeling a little more confident today; I had a lengthy discussion with my vet yesterday and she suggested letting my girl at least go into labour, rather then having an elective c-section. She is confident all will go well but did tell me if its getting close to AH and nothing is happening, get her up to the surgery so I don't get slugged with extra fees.

The whelping box is ready to go and my girl had a nap it in last night. She's still sleeping in our room (I don't think I will be able to change that until the time comes - she whines and barks if she's not in the bedroom with us and our boy). I'm going to go to the op-shop on Saturday and stock up on old sheets - I've got a few, but I would rather be super prepared and most of our rags are old towels with loopy fabric.

Thanks again all - photos to come!

Could you move the box into your bedroom or you may find she tries to move the pups there by herself.

Thanks Little Gifts, should have read all the thread!! :laugh:

Good luck.

Dancingbcs - the dog should be kept away because he may want to kill the pups; or he may like them and accidentally trample them; or the mother may guard them against him, and trample them while she is seeing him off.

I wouldn't allow a male dog (any breed) anywhere near pups until I knew his form, and particularly not with a maiden bitch. How he and the mother behave with newborns will not be the same as they behave when the pups are 3+ weeks old.

Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Jed

Hi all

A quick update - due date today but no signs so far. Her belly has dropped a lot in the last 24 hrs though so I'd say tonight or tomorrow morning. She's not off her food or noticeably nesting but I'd say that will come soon.

I'll keep you all posted.

Just keep an eye on her as dogs that don't nest can sometimes (in my experience) be poor mothers.

I was wondering whether that was the case. She gets in the whelping box and sort of snuggles down in there, but only when I call her in. I haven't seen any other signs and she doesn't just take herself off in their either.

I grabbed some Di-Vetalect today just in case.