Help! My Stafford Is Pregnant

tesslc

Hi all

A quick update - due date today but no signs so far. Her belly has dropped a lot in the last 24 hrs though so I'd say tonight or tomorrow morning. She's not off her food or noticeably nesting but I'd say that will come soon.

I'll keep you all posted.

I have had some bitches not go off their food at all. The belly dropping quite a bit is pretty good sign. I have had some also that don't nest right up until the last stage. Has she started to pant a lot and be quite restless? Keep an eye out for contractions, she could be having them, but they are not enough to start labor properly. I had that with one bitch - had complete uterine inertia and needed to have a C-sect.

Have you made the whelping box a den? If not, grap a couple of high backed chairs or put a table over it and then drape a sheet over the sides to create a den. Sometimes this will help with nesting and her feeling more secure and not so open.

Even if 63 days is today, she still could be a day or two out - depending on when she actually ovulated. Whether it was at the time of the mating, a day before or after. If nothing in two days, then I would talk to your vet.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just keep an eye on her as dogs that don't nest can sometimes (in my experience) be poor mothers.

Most Staffords don't bother to nest until the last minute. They are always too busy to get in the box and if there's people about, there's always somewhere else to be.

Stafford bitches are in general great mothers, providing the owners know what sings to look for and whelp with calcium sanzdoz or troy syrup on hand.

Just keep an eye on her as dogs that don't nest can sometimes (in my experience) be poor mothers.

Most Staffords don't bother to nest until the last minute. They are always too busy to get in the box and if there's people about, there's always somewhere else to be.

Stafford bitches are in general great mothers, providing the owners know what sings to look for and whelp with calcium sanzdoz or troy syrup on hand.

Ok thanks for that. I have limited experience with whelping SBTs, I know if working dogs don't nest they usually don't mother correctly either

One of my toy poodles has had her last litter recently. Fantastic & the easiest to give birth she never nests at all. When she is ready she jumps in her bed, makes it comfortable & out they come like peas out of a pod. Having the usual 3 or 4 pups for a dog her size she has always had them all in just under an hour except the last lot. They took her a little over 2 hours. She has always been a great mother.

The one I had that was hopeless used to dig like she was heading for China for days before.

Giving calcium while whelping or nursing is a controversial subject. Current trend is thinking that it interferes with nature producing it in the bitch if you supplement.

Do some research & make your own decision after weighing it all up.

There are several threads about it on this forum if you know how to use the search.

Don't panic if nothing happens for another few days yet. Fewer pups/small litters often seem to come late but there is no exact rule.

Good luck.

No calcium during an SBT whelping and just after they are born often results in restless, anxious mothers that kill and eat their own young. The signs in an SBT are easy to spot, they curl up tight in a ball, forget about where the pups are, snap at them, lay on them, react to their squeals by punching holes in them and the list goes on. Calcium Sandoz reduces those signs within about a half an hour. I've had too many phone calls from new breeders and rescuers whelping SBT's crying out for help because the bitches won't settle, the pups are being treated roughly or they've consumed half the litter.

Ask any rescuer who has whelped pups what their biggest disaster has been and it will most likely involve an SBT bitch or cross.

No calcium during an SBT whelping and just after they are born often results in restless, anxious mothers that kill and eat their own young. The signs in an SBT are easy to spot, they curl up tight in a ball, forget about where the pups are, snap at them, lay on them, react to their squeals by punching holes in them and the list goes on. Calcium Sandoz reduces those signs within about a half an hour. I've had too many phone calls from new breeders and rescuers whelping SBT's crying out for help because the bitches won't settle, the pups are being treated roughly or they've consumed half the litter.

Ask any rescuer who has whelped pups what their biggest disaster has been and it will most likely involve an SBT bitch or cross.

I've got a bottle of Troy calcium & a syringe on hand - my breeder ran through how much to give her and when. Hopefully that will be enough to ease any anxiety etc she may have.

A lady I know keeps a soft rubber cage type muzzle on hand in case of problems with bitches being too rough with pups, it's only used if absolutely needed but she always has it on hand now after she lost a couple in her first litter due to the bitch pulling too roughly on cords and being mildly aggressive(bull terrier).

This is so true, places to go people to see!

Hi all

A quick update - due date today but no signs so far. Her belly has dropped a lot in the last 24 hrs though so I'd say tonight or tomorrow morning. She's not off her food or noticeably nesting but I'd say that will come soon.

I'll keep you all posted.

I have had some bitches not go off their food at all. The belly dropping quite a bit is pretty good sign. I have had some also that don't nest right up until the last stage. Has she started to pant a lot and be quite restless? Keep an eye out for contractions, she could be having them, but they are not enough to start labor properly. I had that with one bitch - had complete uterine inertia and needed to have a C-sect.

Have you made the whelping box a den? If not, grap a couple of high backed chairs or put a table over it and then drape a sheet over the sides to create a den. Sometimes this will help with nesting and her feeling more secure and not so open.

Even if 63 days is today, she still could be a day or two out - depending on when she actually ovulated. Whether it was at the time of the mating, a day before or after. If nothing in two days, then I would talk to your vet.

My first rescue whelp (Border Collie) never went off her food either and she didnt nest until 24 hours before whelp.

I've seen rescue dogs whelp between mouthfuls of their dinner... and still been jumping up for a cuddle with a pup partway out...

Funnily enough those same crazy dogs were the best mums once they realised that they had a litter to look after... lol!

I've also witnessed first hand how a lack of calcium can affect a Bull Terrier bitch (she chewed the ears off a couple of pups) - and how quickly she responded to calcium supplementation. It was literally minutes for her to settle and dote on the pups... instead of trying to eat them bit by bit...

I'd make sure your phone battery is fully charged, and call your breeder as soon as you see the first pup coming out... you will have a coach who knows what they are doing that way, OK?

T.

Tessic I am so glad you contacted your breeder, good on you!

There are so many experienced people on DOL they can answer just about anything, otherwise they will advise off to the vet!

I was very nervous and a worry wart for my first whelp and asked far too many questions, it all went really well with advice from DOLers.

Others can give better advice though if she becomes wrestless and will not settle also take some time to gently (both hands) feel and become familiar with her belly.

Once in labour you will feel her belly tighten up and then release, it becomes more intense prior to each birth.

Hi all puppies arrived this morning. We have two girls and a boy. Photos to come. Unfortunately one of the girls has a cleft lip - the vet couldn't find any evidence of a cleft palate, her breathing is clear and she has a very strong sucking reflex. Neither our vet or our breeder have seen a cleft lip without a cleft palate before. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Hi all puppies arrived this morning. We have two girls and a boy. Photos to come. Unfortunately one of the girls has a cleft lip - the vet couldn't find any evidence of a cleft palate, her breathing is clear and she has a very strong sucking reflex. Neither our vet or our breeder have seen a cleft lip without a cleft palate before. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Do you mean a Hare lip ?

If it's a big split in the top lip, it's VERY common in the breed.

Every breeder I know including myself PTS pups with hare lips.

How is she feeding? Any milk coming out her nostrils?

You are welcome to PM me I have an 8 mth old Stafford with a cleft lip and palate. I'm an ex vet nurse so had a lot of communication with the breeder about it. :)