Help! My Stafford Is Pregnant

tesslc

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad she only had a few - hope all went to plan with the birth. Hare lip without a cleft palate is very common, certainly not unusual. I wouldn't raise her but that's your choice. Weighing regularly will be important if you decide to persevere with her.

Hi all puppies arrived this morning. We have two girls and a boy. Photos to come. Unfortunately one of the girls has a cleft lip - the vet couldn't find any evidence of a cleft palate, her breathing is clear and she has a very strong sucking reflex. Neither our vet or our breeder have seen a cleft lip without a cleft palate before. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Glad all went well & smoothly :thumbsup: It wasn't that scary was it :laugh:

Your dog should cope fine with the few pups.

No experience re the lip I can only say if it is going to cause anything more than a minor problem let her go sooner rather than later & do the kind thing for her sake.

If you hang on it is so much more upsetting for you when you know them for long rather than a day or so even though it is always sad.

Hi all puppies arrived this morning. We have two girls and a boy. Photos to come. Unfortunately one of the girls has a cleft lip - the vet couldn't find any evidence of a cleft palate, her breathing is clear and she has a very strong sucking reflex. Neither our vet or our breeder have seen a cleft lip without a cleft palate before. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Yes I have seen it twice in a Stafford and am Am Staff.

In both cases the pups were tube fed as they couldn't create a good enough seal to get adequate milk.

They had the lip sutured when older with no ongoing issues

Edited by OSoSwift

Hi all

Sorry for the delay - its been a bit crazy here! So the little brindle girl seems to be feeding well. Her belly is full although her grip on the teat isn't as strong as the others (eg if the dam moves around a lot, she tends to fall off where her sibling don't). There isn't any milk coming out of her nose so I think its either a very small fracture in her palate or just a hair lip. We were concerned about finding a home for her even if she did pull through, but that problem has been solved by someone in the family. We should know by tomorrow whether she is putting on weight, but she certainly looks like it. Last night she actually pushed her brother off the teat!

Mum is doing well although she was very restless last night. She brought all the pups onto my mattress and slept on there with me. She was happy for them to go back into the whelping box this morning, so I think its more that she just wants to be with us then anything. Other then that, she is doing all her motherly duties; feeding, cleaning and regularly checking on them.

I'm hoping these photos will work! Tried yesterday but they were too big and then I got distracted! The all white pup is female (as is the brindle girl - she has the hair lip) and the white one with black spots is the boy - he looks just like his dad.

post-51985-0-77522700-1400383838_thumb.jpg

post-51985-0-35251900-1400384032_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Tessic :) Mum and puppies are gorgeous!

I would be no good as a registered breeder, whelping and raising a litter is such hard work! plus you invest so much emotionally into the litle dingbats.

I honestly look like I stuck my finger in a power point after my first whelp :laugh:

Your female sounds like a great Mum, I am so happy you have the support of your breeder and your vet.

Good on you!

Congratulations and well done.

The cleft lip (BTW not 'hare lip' - that term went out with the ark!) shouldn't be a major problem - just make absolutely sure she is desexe, preferably before she leaves you and make sure she is NEVER bred from - otherwise she should make someone a lovely pet. smile.gif