Help! My Stafford Is Pregnant

tesslc

Just stating what I believe to be a good idea, but do what you think is right. As for others and their thinly veiled insults....ugh

Perhaps you might like to stick to dispensing advice for a breed that you have actually had something to do with.

Perhaps you should be less rude. I was being helpful and have experience with deaf Staffords and know it does happen. Have a nice day :)

No one is denying it happens. However the way you post suggests that it happens a lot. SBT people say it doesn't. Very confusing and worrying for the breeder of these pups don't you think?

Just out of interest, how many is the "plenty" of deaf White Staffords you have encountered? Are you sure you don't mean Bull Terriers? :confused:

I actually used to know a lady in the hunter valley, quite a few years ago that rescued deaf/partialky deaf white staffers mostly, she had about 4 or 5 over the time I I knew her. I have also come across a few in shelters and met one reg sbt completely white and completely deaf. I am not sure whether the rescued ones were pure on not but they looked very staffy. I have only met a couple of deaf bts. I've known quite a few deaf acds though. They're not uncommon around here unfortunately. I didn't mean to scare her (if I did) , I was just concerned.

And there in lies your problem.

Your "shelter" experience is not experience with pedigree registered dogs, the dogs you are describing could and are likely to be cross bred.

I know breeders that have 30 or more years in the breed and are yet to breed a deaf one and plenty of them have been white.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stating what I believe to be a good idea, but do what you think is right. As for others and their thinly veiled insults....ugh

Perhaps you might like to stick to dispensing advice for a breed that you have actually had something to do with.

Perhaps you should be less rude. I was being helpful and have experience with deaf Staffords and know it does happen. Have a nice day :)

No one is denying it happens. However the way you post suggests that it happens a lot. SBT people say it doesn't. Very confusing and worrying for the breeder of these pups don't you think?

Just out of interest, how many is the "plenty" of deaf White Staffords you have encountered? Are you sure you don't mean Bull Terriers? :confused:

I actually used to know a lady in the hunter valley, quite a few years ago that rescued deaf/partialky deaf white staffers mostly, she had about 4 or 5 over the time I I knew her. I have also come across a few in shelters and met one reg sbt completely white and completely deaf. I am not sure whether the rescued ones were pure on not but they looked very staffy. I have only met a couple of deaf bts. I've known quite a few deaf acds though. They're not uncommon around here unfortunately. I didn't mean to scare her (if I did) , I was just concerned.

And there in lies your problem.

Your "shelter" experience is not experience with pedigree registered dogs, the dogs you are describing could and are likely to be cross bred.

I know breeders that have 30 or more years in the breed and are yet to breed a deaf one and plenty of them have been white.

I understand what you're saying and acknowledge that in this case the likelihood of the pups being deaf is very low. I'm sure the owner will

Notice if one is not responding to sound properly and take proper steps.

Isn't semaphore where you wave flags in certain ways :laugh:

Yes, the dots and dashes are Morse Code. :)

ooh Morse would be a cool name :cool:

Morse would be a totally cool name! :thumbsup:

I don't know the incidence of deafness in pure SBT's so didn't say anything.

However, most SBT's that are born white like that start to get mottling/patches as they grow even if it's just on the skin so there are not many around that are pure white like the BT's.

In all fairness, none of us really know the pedigree or lines that the OP's 2 Staffords come from.

We do know that the 2 of them got together in an "oops" moment with an immature bitch, and at least one of the resulting pups was deformed at birth and has since passed due to same.

Pointing out possible issues that could arise with the remaining pups is not trying to scare the OP - just giving a heads up that there is the possibility of it being so.

The odds are that there is nothing at all wrong with either remaining pup, and that they will go on to lead happy and fulfilling and long lives.

I'd be looking at sunscreen for the pink skin though... *grin*

T.

In all fairness, none of us really know the pedigree or lines that the OP's 2 Staffords come from.

We do know that the 2 of them got together in an "oops" moment with an immature bitch, and at least one of the resulting pups was deformed at birth and has since passed due to same.

Pointing out possible issues that could arise with the remaining pups is not trying to scare the OP - just giving a heads up that there is the possibility of it being so.

The odds are that there is nothing at all wrong with either remaining pup, and that they will go on to lead happy and fulfilling and long lives.

I'd be looking at sunscreen for the pink skin though... *grin*

T.

The hare lip and fractured palate had nothing to do with the immaturity of the bitch

Thanks for the advice re deafness - both have pigment on their ears but obviously we will keep an eye out and raise it with our vet at their 6 wk checkup.

Morse is a cool name! I like it.

The little one with the black markings could be named Semaphore. He has dot dash dot down his back. :)

Very clever. :)

The pups are adorable. :D

Doh! :dunce::o

Morse code, or just Morse for short, would be pretty cute...unless the patches morph later into one big patch.

Guest RosieFT

only if he is as 'big as a horse' ;-) Sorry i couldn't resist.

Glad your remaining pups are doing well :-)

Yes, the dots and dashes are Morse Code. :)

Yes I am a dill. So he could be called Morse instead. biggrin.gif

We could get really obscure and call the boy (he's the one with the spots, yes?) Endeavour... *grin*

(For those not in the know, Endeavour was the christian name of Inspector Morse)

T.

Edited by tdierikx

We could get really obscure and call the boy (he's the one with the spots, yes?) Endeavour... *grin*

(For those not in the know, Endeavour was the christian name of Inspector Morse)

T.

Clever!

I vote Bianca for the other!

A quick update - we have teeth! Little front ones. The puppies are gnawing on fingers now, and last night the girl was starting to play with mum, which is very cute! Both of them are trying to walk and are able to take a couple of steps before their legs give out! They are both well over 1kg in weight and still feeding a lot from mum, which is lucky. They are both loving pats and cuddles too, and we are introducing more people to them so that they are well-scoialised from the start.

On our breeders' advice, we have introduced our boy to them on a couple of occasions (without mum in the room). He has a little sniff but isn't too enthusiastic about them. Mum has seen him sitting at the door and is no longer aggressive towards him, so it won't be too long now and he should be ok to be around them - supervised of course.

Both of them are developing spots all over - so no pure white SBT here! All very cute - and will post some more photos soon.

Any tips of weaning will be great!

:) Weaning is easy - in a couple more weeks -feed bitch less - exercise her more ..and leave her outside when you give puppies meaty bones on which to suck/chew. Gradually introduce some good dry puppy food (no need to soak - and no need for milk) ,,and more MEATY bones , like chicken wings /lamb ribs .provide a heavy and small container with water in ......

They will still get most of their food from Mum ..but gradually they will nurse less,eat more ..and , with a reduced diet, and more exercise, Mum will produce less milk , and enjoy her time away :) No need to hurry it , or make it sudden . Our bitches/pups seem to sort it out nicely themselves - we have never had any dramas , saggy boobs , or very dependent pups , luckily :)

Edited by persephone

I had a couple of rescue foster pups I named Fable and Scout... their new owners loved the names so much that they kept them...

Funnily enough, their brother Tarquin got to keep his name too... it suited him... lol!

T.