House Sitter Costs

I'll be up front about what I've been given/charged. $100 per week. I will do whatever is needed and look after however many animals is necessary (14 pups and 4 adults is my top score!) - for me it is all about keeping things stable and routine for the animals, I come second. I will also visit you and your dogs several times before you go away (if needed) and like to stay the day/night before with you so the transition is easier on the dogs. I will eat food from your fridge and freezer but I will also give the house a clean before you get home, wash the linens I have used etc, as well as play and exercise the dogs, pick up poo, clean their runs while I'm there, etc. If needed I do airport runs and will leave you a meal ready for your first night home if you get home late. On the down side I am heaving handed on the washing powder and always seem to break something! (nothing valuable I promise!) I love all breeds of dogs so pretty much do it to learn a bit more about dogs and gain a new experience. I wish I started when I was young and could've done it for a living.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be up front about what I've been given/charged. $100 per week. I will do whatever is needed and look after however many animals is necessary (14 pups and 4 adults is my top score!) - for me it is all about keeping things stable and routine for the animals, I come second. I will also visit you and your dogs several times before you go away (if needed) and like to stay the day/night before with you so the transition is easier on the dogs. I will eat food from your fridge and freezer but I will also give the house a clean before you get home, wash the linens I have used etc, as well as play and exercise the dogs, pick up poo, clean their runs while I'm there, etc. If needed I do airport runs and will leave you a meal ready for your first night home if you get home late. On the down side I am heaving handed on the washing powder and always seem to break something! (nothing valuable I promise!) I love all breeds of dogs so pretty much do it to learn a bit more about dogs and gain a new experience. I wish I started when I was young and could've done it for a living.

:laugh: :heart:

If I could I would happily travel the country house sitting for people! I especially love looking after dogs that like couch and bed cuddles as much as I do! Sadly, my sister threatens to have a breakdown if I go away too many times a year or go away for too long each time. Plus I do miss my own fur babies.

If I could I would happily travel the country house sitting for people! I especially love looking after dogs that like couch and bed cuddles as much as I do!

Oh lordy, you would LOVE my pack then!!!!!!!!! No such thing as sitting on the couch without at least one furry creature in your lap. You would also never be able to get out of bed, it's why I'm always almost late for work. :laugh:

I'm a bit sad because the house sitters I have booked for later this year have said that they do not want pets in the bed, but really when I think about it, sleeping with pets is a bit much to ask from non-crazy dog people like us on DOL! :laugh:

I would have the house sitter sleep in the spare bedroom. The dogs would sleep on my bed...or that's what I would hope they'd do. I guess there's the chance after a couple of nights of me not being present that they might want to sleep on the house sitters bed in the spare bedroom :)

I think it would be difficult for the house sitter to have the dogs sleep on her bed if she doesn't believe dogs should sleep on beds. We would need to discuss this issue at first contact with house sitter.

I found mine on Happyhousesitters, time will tell if they are good when I go away later this year, though they seem like lovely people and love animals and furry cuddles, just not on the bed, LOL. We came to a compromise and they are happy to have the pets sleep in the bedroom, just not in the bed - tho I don't know how they are going to keep the cat off she is very persistent! We don't have a spare bedroom so they will be in our normal bedroom. I wish Little Gifts lived in Victoria, LOL.

Where do you find house sitters that you trust with your animals? I don't know anyone local that I would rely on.

I got mine from Aussiehousesitters.com. I put an add in & had a few to choose from. We chose well, & now they come back every year :thumbsup: at about the same time. But sometimes we need someone at other times....I wonder if Little Gifts would consider Northern NSW :) Our dogs much prefer their own beds, but will definately join you for a cuddle before bed if you want one :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Stock the fridge freezer with decadences ....provide a bunch of scented lilies/roses , and if you know what what they like to read /do as a hobby - buy an appropriate book, and leave on the table - with choccy, of course . :)

Wow. I got the wrong end of the deal - last time we housesat we paid the rent AND I was left with a scar from the stupid cat.

I have never charged, nor, other than the above example have I paid a sitter.

As a sitter I wouldn't take an "assignment" that didn't suit me (e.g. closer to work or other)

We had 3 dogs and 3 cats, and pad the sitter $50/day, even tho she was a friend of our kids, we felt that it'd be taking advantage of her if we didn't. The animals are more than happy, well cared for and the dogs walked, and the house spotless to return to. Compared to boarding, its very cheap, and no stress for the animals or us. We are more than happy to pay that amount and enjoy our breaks.

We are going away over Christmas and New year, I have been onto the two sites suggested above, but there are just so many people. How do you know who to choose? Can others that have used the site recommend people that they have used?