Sudden Severe Drooping Eyes

Thanks piper. We haven't ruled it out completely but our bigger concern is that he has a neurological issue as well as he keeps having what seem to be mini strokes. The plan is to do the CT first then make a long term plan based on what we find there. If it is just glaucoma then we'll talk about the surgery. If it's glaucoma and strokes or tumors or anything big like that, we probably wouldn't put him through the surgery because the glaucoma would be a secondary issue. How old was your friends dog?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, I agree that if there are other issues it then becomes a different scenario but thought I would share that in the case of "just" glaucoma it is not as bad a surgery as it seems.

Well after 24 hours on preds doof has bounced back to being a batcr@p crazy land shark and the facial paralysis looks like it has been corrected :confused: his eye has stopped weeping and the redness is all gone. We'll go back to the vet on Friday or Saturday to check the pressure but hopefully the improvement isn't a short term one :)

Thanks guys :) he's completely and utterly wired, back to his usual insanely annoying self. I gave him half the dose my vet suggested....after the look and noises he gave my dinner I think if I gave him the full dose he'd channel Stanley and break into my fridge :rofl: gotta love preds!

PD that is awesome news!

Just thought I would share this little story in case you do need to consider eye removal. When I was in Perth visiting my family a few weeks ago our little family dog Cherry who is all of about 3/4kg had an ulcer appear in her eye that was pushing through the membrane layer and about to burst. After taking her to the vet (it all happened very quickly) and after speaking to them I made the call that we should remove her eye. She is almost 16 but still full of life.

We did remove the eye and she has a new lease on life. I was worried about putting her under anaesethic but she came through great. It is amazing how much better she is and how she has adjusted to having one eye.

I recently had a senior doggie eye removal done due to glaucoma. It was so sad to see him go from happy to sad overnight but the removal brought back my happy old boy in a few days. :heart:

eta: Not that you have to! I just wanted to reassure you it's ok for seniors and was a positive outcome. :)

Edited by Powerlegs

One of our regular patients has just had her second enucleation and is going great guns :) She developed glaucoma secondary to diabetic cataracts so was already blind. It's definitely made an improvement to her demeanour despite her always being a lovely dog!

Thanks guys :) he's completely and utterly wired, back to his usual insanely annoying self. I gave him half the dose my vet suggested....after the look and noises he gave my dinner I think if I gave him the full dose he'd channel Stanley and break into my fridge :rofl: gotta love preds!

OMG PD can you imagine Stan on the Pred?? :eek:

So glad your gorgeous boy is back to the mad Doofster, may he annoy you for a long time to come :)

OMG PD can you imagine Stan on the Pred?? :eek:

So glad your gorgeous boy is back to the mad Doofster, may he annoy you for a long time to come :)

So great that he is feeling like his normal self, PD. I hope he continues to do well.

HazyWal, if Stan was on pred all the fridge locks in the world would be useless against against his will to eat. I think you would have to remove your fridge and all food stuffs from the house completely.

I'm pretty sure Stan would just eat through the fridge door :rofl:

Doof sits in front of me completely fixated and drooling at my plate, shaking all over and letting out a weird grunt that sounds like a sex scene in a b-grade horror flick. It's charming. God knows what the neighbours think :rofl:

Doof sits in front of me completely fixated and drooling at my plate, shaking all over and letting out a weird grunt that sounds like a sex scene in a b-grade horror flick. It's charming. God knows what the neighbours think :rofl:

Stanley's attempt to eat through the door of my new freezer :mad

post-38965-0-38689200-1400213224_thumb.jpg

:coffeesplurk: Stan is hilarious. Probably more hilarious to people who don't have their new fridge chewed up :laugh:

Bear can't brain around food, her eyes dilate completely and she throws every trick she's ever learnt out there in case it works. It doesn't matter if someone is holding it, if she sees food under the couch she'll start rolling and waving and sitting etc as if the food will magically come out :laugh:

O...M...G..!!!!

T.

O...M...G..!!!!

T.

OhMyDog! Oh Stan! You are the man

:thumbsup:

for HazyWal, a wee tip..... have you ever tried smearing vicksvapour-rub on the surface?

HeeHee,Stan