Coats

aliwake

I have these coats for my guys Hurtta Winter Coats, but I only put them on if I am walking them in the rain or I go to somewhere & it is freezing cold. But my guys are BC's so have a good coat. But it may be good for your guy, cause besides being warm, they are waterproof.

They look great Sheena :thumbsup: Am looking at getting Sonny a new coat this winter. We don't live in a cold part of the world but we travel to the Barringtons & other colder areas to camp. Sonny having Arthritic hips I want to keep him as warm possible. Thanks for the heads up regarding those :)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, Ziggy has a Hurtta too. Beautiful coat - I only use it for camping or trialling in miserably cold weather. He has a couple of handmade lighter coats that he won which are fine for milder days. I have an old Weatherbeeter that I throw over the top if he has to toilet in the rain. The Springer just bolts up the back, gets soaked to the skin, comes down for a dry off and then goes again lol.

If anyone is interested in Hurrta coats I am doing an order next week I have posted a topic regarding this over in the market place, or if you don't have access to market place just DM me.

Worth checking out these ones BC Crazy - https://www.backontr.../195/dog-rugs/. Mine sleep in the mesh version when its cold. They keep them warm without being to warm.

Just had a look at the quilted ones ness, they are lovely & therapeutic as well for Arthritic dogs. Hmmm amazing!!

That's the other thing I don't want to cook him LOL but just like him not to feel the cold. I feel the cold, hate it, but it is hard to tell if my guys are too hot with coats on at times. They both are pretty heavily coated anyway.

I wouldn't think you would need anything more then a light waterproof coat for a BC out in the elements. I was looking at the Hurtta waterproof ones without the lining.

Edited by ness

I have one of those Weatherbeeta Rainstop coats for Nova, they are super cheap at Horseland at the moment. But he only wears it when we are out exercising in the rain as in these temps he wouldn't dry before bed time.

I'm looking at getting one of the Hurtta raincoats instead as they cover the chest. Not the insulated ones posted above though, although they look similar.

Edited by LisaCC

I wouldn't think a healthy Labrador would need a coat in Brisbane? They already come equipped with a double coat, inlcuding a weather resistant undercoat! Unless he lacks the traditional Labrador coat or is old or infirm then surely a Labrador can cope with Brisbane day time temperatures?

My dogs all have coats, but they are smooth coated dogs with no undercoat and we live in Canberra :) At times they are left with them on while I'm not home, but it's usually only my older boy and usualy the polarfleece type coats. There is a risk of a coat catching on something and causing an issue, just like with collars, but I regard that risk small enough to be outweighed by the benefit of keeping my old boy warm. I'd worry a bit about overheating with a more active dog in warmer climate.

LisaCC, love that pic of Nova :laugh: The hat certainly sets off that outfit :laugh:

I too have a Weather Betta Rainstop for both my guys but they keep slipping around & when it is bucket down with rain both of my dog's got wet through, I don't want Sonny wet on a cold day. I'm looking at the Hurtta raincoat type. May well do the trick I think. They look well made too.

Edited by BC Crazy

What can I say, I look away for 5 minutes and he's trying on clothes stroke.gif

BC Crazy, I had to cut and resew the belly strap of Novas Rainstop as it was way too big but any smaller size was too short.

It's held up so far, but I guess we'll see how it goes with bucketing rain this winter if I don't get a hurtta in time.

Edited by LisaCC

A little bird told me that Crazysales will be stocking Hurtta coats soon. :D

I'm thinking of getting a light sort of coat for my dog as well just for sleeping in on cold winter nights but I don't know how light a coat is supposed to be for an Aussie without it being too warm, and raincoats aren't really the best material for sleeping in... a raincoat would be tempting for walking in wet weather tho I would need to buy one for myself too!

My Greyhound and Italians have been wearing theur coats for weeks (Melbourne). Just polar fleece ones at this stage. Pretty soon they will need another layer though, and at that time I will also start rugging my other dogs. The skinnies wear their rugs pretty much 24/7 but with the big dogs, I take them off at bed time.