Coats

aliwake

I wouldn't think a healthy Labrador would need a coat in Brisbane? They already come equipped with a double coat, inlcuding a weather resistant undercoat! Unless he lacks the traditional Labrador coat or is old or infirm then surely a Labrador can cope with Brisbane day time temperatures?

I agree. When you say he gets wet, is it just his top coat that's wet or is he actually wet through to the skin when you part his coat? I know when I wash labs at work I have to 'scrub' with the hydro bath nozzle to get them wet to the skin. A lab's coat is pretty damn water resistant already!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know what you mean - he is definitely pretty waterproof! I will have a closer look next time it rains. I felt like he did get wet through on occasion, but maybe with his thicker winter coat it won't be as likely.

A little bird told me that Crazysales will be stocking Hurtta coats soon. :D

I'm thinking of getting a light sort of coat for my dog as well just for sleeping in on cold winter nights but I don't know how light a coat is supposed to be for an Aussie without it being too warm, and raincoats aren't really the best material for sleeping in... a raincoat would be tempting for walking in wet weather tho I would need to buy one for myself too!

Crazy sales..... very interesting ;)

I wouldn't think you would need anything more then a light waterproof coat for a BC out in the elements. I was looking at the Hurtta waterproof ones without the lining.

Yes! That's what i'm looking at.

This one?

Hurtta Raincoat

I have 2 of these :) Very happy with them. They move really well with the dogs, as in when the dogs are off lead running flat out. In pissing down rain they look pretty soggy but the dogs are staying dry under them.

The dogs are also not getting hot in them, which was the problem I was having with rugs with fill.

My 3 only wear coats if i am leaving them at nighttime.

They are left outside when i am not home, so when it is colder (ie. i am cold) i will put their coats on until i am back and let them inside :)

So they dont really wear them often.

I have one who wont wear a jacket with velcro for some reason. So he gets a knitted one. The others just have the quilted type that velcro around their waist and their neck/chest.

ETA: im in Brisbane too :)

Edited by denali

Slightly OT.

My friend lives in Wyoming and always laughs when I mention putting coats on dogs and horses. Are Aussie's precious in that respect?

I got my dog coats from a US company...... US horsey people certainly rug too, but they call them blankets.

A non dog friend laughed here when I said I had rain coats for the dogs. Then we went for a walk in the rain and she saw how soggy they got and said she knew why I had the coats.

Slightly OT.

My friend lives in Wyoming and always laughs when I mention putting coats on dogs and horses. Are Aussie's precious in that respect?

I got my dog coats from a US company...... US horsey people certainly rug too, but they call them blankets.

A non dog friend laughed here when I said I had rain coats for the dogs. Then we went for a walk in the rain and she saw how soggy they got and said she knew why I had the coats.

Yeah I have ranch friends who don't blanket, their horses just grow very heavy winter coats. Only my show friends blanket and in blizzards or heavy snow some of the ranch horses are stabled. All have open stalls.

I guess they all get used to whatever the climate is.

I live on the Sunshine Coast and the last few nights have dropped to around 7 degrees and I have coated the dogs. Sid loves it, he jams his head through it as soon as he sees it. Lola isn't the biggest fan - but she's also the one with the double coat. Sid barely has any fur. They sleep inside at night (crated on tiles), but when I put them out in the morning, it is still really cold and the backyard barely gets any sun. So I kept Sid's coat on him until it warmed up a bit.

I wouldn't think you would need anything more then a light waterproof coat for a BC out in the elements. I was looking at the Hurtta waterproof ones without the lining.

This one?

Hurtta Raincoat

I have 2 of these :) Very happy with them. They move really well with the dogs, as in when the dogs are off lead running flat out. In pissing down rain they look pretty soggy but the dogs are staying dry under them.

The dogs are also not getting hot in them, which was the problem I was having with rugs with fill.

How do you find the sizing?

This one?

Hurtta Raincoat

How do you find the sizing?

Good. I went mainly off the back length measurement. They are pretty adjustable around the belly, Amber is a skinny thing and I can get it tight enough on her. Amber is in a 50 and Poppy a 55. The neck adjusts too.

Oh good to know thanks :) The website recommends one smaller size for aussies than I normally get for back length. So I'll just go off the length then.

I went off actual measurements. The site I got them through has a demo video on how to measure and put on.

http://www.eurodogdesigns.com/Hurtta-Rain-Coat_p_36.html

Out of interest I just put Amber's coat on Poppy and vise versa and both coats were ok on the other dog so they do adjust pretty well.

I just measured Nixon and I kept getting 70cms! The weatherbeeta site suggests 55-65 for labs... He was wiggling a bit though. Maybe I'll go the 65 to be safe...

Do you have a Horseland near you? Or a Petstock? I would go try them on. I found them to be a bit weird in size.

Stan and Maddie have a bit of a wardrobe happening in the coat department :o

Stan is at the other end of the style scale, he totally rocks his flanno and Souths beanie :laugh:

Oh I think Stan could rock any style Hazy LOL. Maddie looks so cosy on her matching leather chair :)

Your pair are hiliarious Hazy. You must have a good giggle watching them.

My kelpie is small and wears a 50cm coat so i don't think 70cm would be completely impossible for a male lab, if it hangs over his tail by 5cm it won't matter.

On that note has anyone found a coat style that seems to work better on dogs that HATE coats but are getting old and starting to feel the cold? :( She has two and one she just stands there literally for hours and won't lie down with it on, the other she will wear but you can tell she's not happy and it's only very light so doesn't keep her much warmer anyway...