Dogs Keeps Shaking

Perse is right - time for some hard decisions. Sometimes they mask pain and will do anything to please - they keep going for you even though it is so very hard for them.

Many people on here regret leaving it too long to let their beloved dogs go but none seem to regret the decision to say goodbye maybe a day early. The fact he is spending 95% of his time lying down does tell you something.

If my vet had have lied to me i would have sued their arses. I'm sorry but if my dog was in pain and suffering from a debilitating illness i would want my veterinarian to tell me whether I wanted to hear it or not. I understand it must be very hard for you to accept but I believe you need to say your final goodbyes and have your dog euthanased. He sounds as if he is suffering and is in pain. It is the hardest decision but our dogs trust us with their entire lives, entire meaning the very end and the hardest decision. I would also suggest getting a new vet for any remaining animals once your dog passes. So sorry for your impending loss.

This must be very difficult for you. I feel terrible for both you and your dog.

From your posts it really sounds like he is in a bad way. Internal bleeding, kidney disease, cancer and a heart condition is a lot for any living creature to deal with.

Are they doing anything about the internal bleeding? If it's from cancer it probably won't stop itself and he may bleed to death which can be quite painful. It also sounds like he needs more aggressive pain control, perhaps the tramadol or fentanyl patch?

I agree with Pers, your vet is a d#ck!!!! that's putting it mildy, and now he is reeling in the cash while you spend more money on meds which are not going to cure him.

This dog is in pain, ALOT!!!

Do the right thing, keeping him alive for your sake is cruel,are you waiting for him to die a slow painful death from bleeding internally?

Had to be said.

This is like de ja vu - my boss' dog looks similar to yours, also had a spleen removed due to hemangiosarcoma last year, but he had chemo. Had a heart murmur, seizures by the end and would go in waves of off and on food. They gave him his wings a couple of weeks ago when the bad days were getting too regular :( and it was hard, but we could tell he was in pain. In my opinion it was probably left a little too long because he was very uncomfortable in the end, despite pain relief. He would fool us by acting as you say - and returning to his normal bouncy self on the good days. They are very stoic. Very tough thing to do.

Dogs rarely pass way peacefully in their sleep unfortunately, they need us to be tough and strong and look into their eyes and make the big decision for them - and sometimes that means we have to look at our situation and ask if we are keeping the dog going for the dog's benefit - or for ours. Just some things to think about.

Perhaps if you are going to carry on as you are, you should find another vet - one who is honest with you about your dog, and can perhaps supply stronger pain relief. I wish you and your little man all the best

What you have described is very similar to how my Emma was the day (and day before) I took her to the vet to see what was wrong and I didn't bring her home again. I was able to find peace by keeping my promise that I would never let her suffer, be miserable or in pain. My vet told me that she wasn't in pain (and I could tell she wasn't), but that she would be feeling very very miserable and just all around unwell. Her quality of life had decreased very quickly and all I wanted was the best for my girl. I'm probably one of the few who didn't leave it too long, I don't regret her being at the stage she was at but there is no way I would have let her get any worse. I could have had her treated and probably gotten another week, but a lot of that would have been at a vet clinic, that's not quality to me or her. Try to look at the big picture for your dog. Do what you need to do when the time is right, but don't regret leaving it too long and feeling that you let your dog suffer. It's one of the hardest but kindest decisions that you will ever make.

I know your pain with this nasty nasty cancer. I lost my last 2 to this both had liver hemangiosarcoma, by the time they showed the signs the shaking and my boy had a bloated stomach they were gone in days after the ultrasounds. My 5 yr old GSD girl know had it in her hind leg in the muscle which was rare and luckily for her there was a lump that alerted us. They all believed it was the secondary and the prime was in one of the organs, but luckily it was the prime and no cancer elsewhere and after the amputation she is fine but it will come back we know that just hoping the chemo wards it off as long as possible. Its a painless cancer till right near the end thats why its usually to late to do anything as it way to advanced

I just looked at the video you posted... that is a classic symptom of a dog in pain. The shakes are timed with the waves of pain he's feeling.

If he were my dog, and based on all of the latest info you have provided, I would make the hardest decision asap and give him his wings.

Read this poem... it may help you with your decision...

If it should be....

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,

and pain should keep me from my sleep,

then you must do what must be done,

for we know this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,

but don't let grief then stay your hand,

for this day, more than the rest,

your love and friendship must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,

what is to come can hold no fears.

Would you want me to suffer? So,

when the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,

only stay with me until the end,

and hold me firm and speak to me,

until my eyes no longer see.

It is a kindness that you do to me,

although my tail it's last has waved,

from pain and suffering I have been saved.

Do not grieve, it should be you,

who must decide this thing to do.

We've been so close, we two these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

by Julia Napier, copyright 1999

T.

My vet's advice (and it is very sound) is that you can't make a decision too early in these cases but you can leave it too long.

I've lost around 17 dogs in the last 7 years, none of them went naturally - as much as it caused me immense pain, I did not let any of them suffer needlessly.

Please be strong for your dog, sadly they can't tell us when they are in pain but he is no longer able to overcome it and get any pleasure from life. At these times, we only hold on for our own sakes but he will be released from all his suffering, please don't wait any longer.

I sooo understand you wanting to save your dog and keep him with you but the video says it all. That's a dog in terrible pain. :(

Like dogmad. I lost 6 dogs like dominoes over 2yrs :( and only one died at home hours from her final appointment. They don't know they are dying and don't just let go of life when they should. They hang on for you and fade in front of you, you have make a choice so they don't suffer.

:heart: My thoughts are with you. I'm so sorry.