Do You Have Lots Of Girl Dogs?

I know it is considered harder to keep girls together and wondering whether those who do have three or more girls can tell me if they've had any particular problems and whether there was any special management you put in place to try to keep everyone in harmony? I've been chatting with a breeder recently and he mentioned one of his girls will be bred on her next season and it sounds like there's a good chance he may offer me a pup out of that litter(co-owned). (he actually offered me an amazing pup out of his last litter but it was too soon, even this one is a little sooner than we planned). It's going to come down to which pup/s are considered show potential and then out of those which will suit our needs but it could easily be a girl and I'm trying to get my head around how well that will work. I don't think my basset girl will be an issue but my kelpie is getting older and a bit funny about in your face dogs. We definitely had some fussing when my basset hit that 'coming of age' time and this one will be a show dog so will be entire too.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 4 girls and 3 boys. They're generally more bitchy to each other a snarl or a snap. Maybe is the only one that I have to watch as she likes to get annoyed at torque for no reason at random intervals. It's easily done with the right temperament dogs and good leadership.

OK thanks, we worked out that the only time we really have barnies here is over resources so as long as the kids don't throw a single piece of something really yummy that takes more than a second to eat on the ground we are fine. I'm hoping that the new one being a puppy will help too and in my experience bassets are quite placid pups and tend to just roll over rather than push an older dog so hopefully things will work out no matter what comes our way!

We have 3 bitches here, 1 desexed staffy x, 1 desexed Dalmatian and 1 entire Dalmatian who is still a pup. So far, no issues but I am quite aware that issues could arise and am prepared for that.

It depends on the breed though (and the personalities involved), I asked other dal breeders and issues aren't very common. I wouldn't add a fourth bitch to the mix though, I just have a gut feeling that that would upset the balance.

I think we might be OK to have three like you DDD but I don't think we'd add another bitch until our kelpie Sascha was gone as she's the bossy one of the pack LOL. We'll have a few more at some point but as bassets are pack hounds they are usually quite placid with other dogs and not usually the one to start the fight so i think if we get any trouble it will be from Sascha. Down the track(like 5-10 years) we'll be just keeping bassets and maybe a bloodhound or two( :D ) but by then we'll be in our new property which will have two seperate fenced yards(the backyard and a fenced and roofed orchard the same size plus probably a smaller run spare) so separating during seasons, etc will be easy done.

Our original intention was not to get another dog at all until we moved but fate looks like it may have other ideas. :D

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Breed absolutely makes a difference. Be careful- i know of a number of situations where bitches were fine together, until they weren't. The ability to separate when you're not supervising is important.

Guest Clover

2 girls here and no problems. They are 10.5 & 2.5 so I am fully aware that as they both get older problems may arise.

I would never have 2 Terrier bitches together.

Likewise KC, I think it would be the staffy x that would start trouble here, she already had issues with my parent's male mini schnauzer and tried to act on them.

Now our backyard no longer has the worlds biggest caravan sitting in it, we have a lot more dog room. I have a (portable) dog run too, so if separation is needed, I can easily do it.

But I too will be looking at houses/properties soon and the number one priority for me is the backyard - it needs to have plenty of space to divide/separate dogs.

We have half an acre and as it's a long thin block(25m X 85m approx) we are designing it with the house a long way back on the property so there will be a large shed(/business premises) at the front, then a 20m X 30m orchard fully fenced and roofed, then the house, then the backyard. So when we need to separate not only will they be fenced apart there will be a whole house between them, I think it will be much easier this way when we are having to deal with entire dogs and bitches.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I have 6 bitches

2 desexed kelpies and 4 entire border collies.

They all run together with limited issues.

The old 15 year old kelpie is boss. She rules with iron teeth. Puppies or dogs in her face with have one swift grab, often with blood. Then they leave her alone and give space from then on. Having said that, they play rough with her and compete with tugs and balls etc. and she tolerates that fine. It's just if she gives the piss off vibe, they certainly do!!!!!

The next one down is another kelpie ( 10 years) is second in charge. She loves puppies and plays and dotes them. But also disciplines very firmly if lines are crossed. If any of them bump into her she will chase them til she pins them then plays straight away.

The oldest BC bitch is 6 and the mother of a 3 year old and 2 x 14 month old. They all know their place.

One of the 14 month old is boss of mother and litter sister. Litter sister is bottom of pack. 3 year old is boss of both younger ones.

The kelpies are terrible resource guarding over food. So no food is left out.

If I am present, all eat together, no problems.

I think that no matter what breed or sex, the most important thing with multiple dogs is establishing the hierarchy between you and them. You must be in control and have respect of all of them so if anything looks like rising, if you pull them up, they need to obey. Instantly.

They will soon become their own pack if you don't be the boss.

Mine are allowed to stick up for themselves if another is bullying but posturing, or eyeballing is quickly corrected.

It's just a matter of being aware of their different personalities and tolerances and don't put them in a situation where trouble can start.

As others said, once their is a problem, bitches hold grudges.

We have four entire bitches and it requires active management. They can run together peacefully when we are around supervising, but we don't run them together when we are not around. I have a feeling that when the old girl goes, there will be some shifting of positions that mean we will really have to be on our toes.

I agree that they are fine until they are not, and I intervene much more quickly with the bitches than with the dogs. One of the bitches in particular annoys the other bitches. She is that one girl who says "slut" under her breath as the other girls walk past, good at giving a snide eyeball. Yes I know this is anthropomorphic but just as dogs will tend to act like like dickheads in a bar when they square up to fight, so bitches can be real bitches, as WreckitWhippet says. Knowing what the signs are, from the look held just a bit too long to the standing just a bit too close etc is important. I think non dog savvy people would see me tell bitchy bitch off and wonder what the hell I am getting annoyed about - but I know what she's about to do before she does it.

If I wasn't a breeder, I wouldn't have this many girls. I love them all, and we can manage them, but - it's not straightforward and adding another girl is not something we do lightly.

Thanks SSM, all excellent points.

Eventually the natural progression of our plans will likely end with us breeding hence the plans for a property suited to separating if needed. With any luck the pick for us will be a boy.

Depends on the dogs.

I have girls aged 9, 8, 6 & 5. No fights at all.

The 9 year old was desexed last year. The 5 year old has always been desexed & the other 2 are entire.

My girls have always got on well.

We have 3 girls - 2 are desexed. Their ages are 11, 7 and 2. It was not my preference to get a third female as we had three girls before and the youngest was always trying to fight with the oldest (the oldest never lost a tussle). We had to get assistance from a behaviourist and really keep on top of the youngest's behaviours. Now the youngest is the middle child and yes, she remains the one we have to be the most vigilant with. It is not because there are three girls, but because that particular dog gets over stimulated and upsets the apple cart with the others.

If I had a choice I would have two spunky girls and a sooky la la boy for some balance, but dogs tend to choose us, not the other way around. I really do think personality matching is more important than what sex the dogs all are.