Growling

Guest hanko

Guest hankodie

Oh dear :(

I was clipping Hank's nails tonight and he is normally very good while I am doing them (unlike Odie who hates it). I feed him treats and give him lots of praise. I've been clipping and handling his paws since he was a pup and have had no issues.

Anyway tonight was pretty routine, I was doing his nails and he was fine until I got to the back leg. I picked his paw up and he growled suddenly, so I backed off and then tried to gently pick it up again and he growled again. Wasn't too ferocious of a growl, more like "I don't like that".

At that point I stopped and let him be.

What could have caused this? He has never growled at me ever, neither or my dogs have (except when playing tug, etc). I'm worried something might be hurting him but I haven't noticed any limping or discomfort.

He's also going through a pretty bratty teenage stage at the moment as all dogs his age do (he turns 1 next month) but generally he is quite submissive and trusting of us so I'm a little bit worried this might have something to do with that :(

Should I take him to the vet tomorrow?

Is he in obvious pain? limping? swelling? hot to touch? Will he let you touch it if there's no clippers? There's a chance he's just testing you and he just won there's also a chance there's something medical or uncomfortable about the way you were holding his leg or paw.

Guest hankodie

No limping, just called him over again and he seems fine.

He let me pick up his other paws to clip his nails but growled twice when I tried to pick up the back right (I think) one.

I just held a treat in my hand after reading the replies and gently picked up both hind paws, no growling this time but he was too interested in eating the treat out of my hand.

No idea what happened :(

Edited by hankodie

Guest hankodie

I reckon he's just pushing his luck, he's a teenager isn't he?Mosley will growl if he has an injury and we're trying to touch it though so it's possible he was sore.

Yes he's most definitely going through the teenage thing, I've just never had either of them growl at me in that way before so I was quite taken aback.

He has been pushing his luck in other ways eg: getting up on furniture without being invited, running away when I ask him to drop something he's got I'm his mouth. Normal stuff I went through with Odie but the growling is definitely a new thing.

I'd try again without the food, maybe with a soft massage down the whole leg starting at the hip. Do both legs. If he reacts to a certain spot only then perhaps there is some pain.

Edited by LisaCC

Guest hankodie

Wow, really weird. Just tried what LisaCC suggested, got him to roll over for a gentle massage, did his front paws and back ones but this time he reacted when I ran my hand over his side.

I was giving him belly rubs earlier today and he was fine. He rolls over for belly rubs all the time and have never had issues with touching his paws, head, tail etc.

This is really out of character for him, I'm a little distressed at the moment to be honest

Sonny has growled at me when I have been doing his feet at around that age. He was throwing his weight around. I ignored him & continued. I always offer treats but he doesn't eat them till I'm done with his nails even now. He just isn't a fan of having of the manicure. He turns his head away & pretends not to look. He will be 6 next month. He has given up on the growling though LOL.

Unless you are concerned about Hank having some kind of injury HO, i'd just continue clipping quickly & praise etc when done. They will bung it on at that age. Just ignore unless you are unsure then maybe your OH or trusted Vet could do them for a while till you regain your confidence. Best of luck :)

Wow, really weird. Just tried what LisaCC suggested, got him to roll over for a gentle massage, did his front paws and back ones but this time he reacted when I ran my hand over his side.

I was giving him belly rubs earlier today and he was fine. He rolls over for belly rubs all the time and have never had issues with touching his paws, head, tail etc.

This is really out of character for him, I'm a little distressed at the moment to be honest

Were you touching his side when you were doing paws, leaning on it etc?

Hankodie, if I was you I'd be checking with a vet, just to make sure everything is fine.

Pain always comes to my mind in these situations, and if he is fine then you know to look at behavioural options instead.

Does his stomach feel/look ok? Not overly firm?

Edited by LisaCC

Guest hankodie

Nope, ran my hand down his side and that's when he reacted again, wasn't touching his paws this time.

Nope, ran my hand down his side and that's when he reacted again, wasn't touching his paws this time.

He's probably just being a jerk but if you're concerned take him to the vet, he could have an injury.

Edited by mixeduppup

Guest hankodie

Thank you all.

He's asleep now so I don't want to wake him again but tummy area looks OK, he ate a couple of hours ago.

Will definitely call the vet and get him checked out tomorrow just in case. He was acting grumpy when I called him over so worried this might be a case of teenage brattiness. Oh dear. :(

Ok hankodie, the teenage stage. Lets push mums buttons LOL.

Just take a deep breath with him but make it known you wont tolerate any nonsense. Just remember when Hank was very young when he threw his weight around with fur mum, she only growled once. End of the fuss !!! :)

Gus tried that once recently too. It was a pitiful, whiney growl. I said tough tits my friend and carried on. Acted as though it didn't happen and we moved on.

Little turd! Haha.

I think its a rite of passage and pushing their luck. We've had no worries since, but I know him well enough to know he wouldn't follow through with it. I'd have been horrified if he had tried it with a groomer or something, more because he might have got away with it.