Is A Border Collie For Me?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have done your research, your preference is for a Border Collie.

Go for it.

yes:) As with any new dog, there will be a learning curve - and rules/strategies , but by researching/asking , you are doing teh right thing !

You could also look at an Australian Shepherd which has a similar look to a Border but in my experience can be a little less intense.

I have heard that Australian Shepherds may not have a high tolerance level...that's just what I have heard, that they can be a little temperamental.

Yes I wouldn't recommend an Aussie with small kids in general. Some would be fine though, but in general.

I don't know why people recommend them as "easier than a border".

I agree. My Aussie gets a bit freaked out by little kids.

I really believe we can overthink these things.

Go for it.

(PS: I am currently trying to find out who you are and where you live - am going to apply for adoption.)

That's what I think too. :thumbsup: Border collies are a great dog if you find the one that suits your family. They just thrive on learning & training & affection, & have such wonderful personalities. I wouldn't have any other breed, not that I am biased or anything :laugh: We have grandchildren & have never had any issues with our borders...no nipping or nastiness. Like every other dog they have to learn not to jump up on the kids, but our youngest guy, we trained him out of this right from the start & he has never jumped up on anyone. So if you are prepared to put the training in, you should be rewarded with a wonderful family companion. :)

One option is to find a good rescue and look at adopting an older one that ticks all the boxes for your family, a proper rescue will be able to match a dog to your family if they have one.

Edited to add I have had border collies on both ends of the spectrum I had one that was the laziest dog I had ever met and then I had one that would work the cattle with me 8-9 hours a day moving cattle, branding cattle etc and he would go another 10 hours I am sure but at home he was a gem I suspect if he had not been able to work he would have been a very destructive, out of his mind dog so there are different activity levels of BCs just like other breeds.

Edited by HappyCamper

At least half our pack (if not all of them) would love to come and live with you :)

I echo the comments to choose a breeder who homes with families often, they will have a better idea of which puppy will suit. It doesn't have to be show lines, however you will have a harder time finding a working breeder who knows their dogs well enough to be able to fit them perfectly in your life. They are around (being easy to live with inside and having a good off switch is one of our major breeding goals and we have placed in families with kids), but many have outdoor dogs and wouldn't place as much emphasis on "easy to live with".

I have owned 3 Aussies and have to admit to not being an overly active person and find they fit into my lifestyle perfectly for the most part. If I want to go for a 3 hour walk they are fine with it but if I think it is too cold and prefer to cuddle on the couch they are also good with that. My first two were admittedly quieter than my current one who does require at least a ball game daily but I find them fun dogs. They are clowns and love a good game but my aussies run with my shelties under supervision who are a lot smaller than most children without too much trouble. I love the breed personally and find them much less intense than borders when I compare them to my friends borders who have to be exercised twice daily or life is unpleasant.

We've had Borders for over 25 years and had two daughters in that time. As long as the pup gets mental activity and involvement with the family, and you get a pup from non working lines, you should be fine. oOr dogs definitely love kids, and being part of the family.

Also, you need to be aware that the pup will need time out from the children.

PM me if you want more info, and also I'd be happy for you to come and meet my dogs.

Go for it.

(PS: I am currently trying to find out who you are and where you live - am going to apply for adoption.)

This! Well written DDD

The OP wants a Border Collie and good on them! Great dogs, there WILL be one that suits their family and be a wonderful addition.

Go for it.

This! Well written DDD

The OP wants a Border Collie and good on them! Great dogs, there WILL be one that suits their family and be a wonderful addition.

Where's the "Like" button :thumbsup:

Edited by sheena

Go for it.

This! Well written DDD

Where's the "Like" button :thumbsup:

Well actually they are asking if we think it is the right breed for them. Therefore people are quite within their rights to say 'no'. It isn't like the OP has come on and said they are getting a BC and people are then saying no.

There are some things in the OP post that make me go 'mmmm' enough that I wouldn't say a 100% yes.

I have had 30 years in the breed and think the situation described is perfect for the right Border Collie puppy. If the OP is committed to learning how to train the dog properly from day one and accepts that if they do not get the training right the dog will train them, they should be fine. The other option could be a trained young adult dog from a breeder who has children if they don't want to have to do as much training.

Please do not just go to the DOL breeder ads. Wait for personal recommendations. There are a lot of people breeding Borders who are not doing the right things to breed healthy quality dogs. I could honestly only recommend about a third of the breeders who advertise on here.

Oops, I forgot to mention that the parents of all Border puppies must be hip and elbow scored and have their DNA status known by testing or parentage for the following hereditary conditions - CL, TNS and CEA. Do not buy a puppy from anyone who does not do these basic health tests. A lot of the inferior breeders will have DNA clear dogs but they don't hip and elbow score, so should be avoided. A pet puppy from a good breeder should cost up to around $1200 regardless of colour. Also avoid anyone selling different colours at different prices. Colour is simple to breed for if that is your main focus, rather than quality and breeders doing this tend to mention colour repeatedly on their websites. Your main concern needs to be temperament and activity level, not colour or markings.

Edited by dancinbcs

Go for it.

You are too funny!! Are you toilet trained?

Go for it.

You are too funny!! Are you toilet trained?

Currently - provided I don't get hayfever sneezes too badly. :D :D

Wow thanks so much for your recommendations everyone, it really means a lot to have a band of experts giving us advice on this.

My take-out from this is that the right breeder will be crucial in breeding and choosing the right BC for us, and we are happy to wait as long as it takes. It seems the right trainer will also be really important to ensure all of us start (and continue) in the right way.

Thank you also to all the Aussie fans, what a fan club! Unfortunately a BC stole my heart 10 years ago (RIP beautiful Barney) and I have not been able to look at another breed since - I love their big personalities, quick thinking, loyalty and huge hearts (take a backseat Lassie!)

thanks again!

I have little experience with BC's but have raised two kids whilst owning a large dog. My advice would be to try take that walk everyday to see if it is do able. You are about to get very busy with two kids starting primary school. You will taxi drive to sports and social occasions. I chose my dog from the SPCA on the advice of the staff. He was a calm, slightly aloof dog. He tolerated but did not approach strangers. He spent hours on the side of football fields, swimming pools and tennis courts. His aloof but bombproof nature meant he never annoyed people, never snatched a passing sausage sandwich and paid no attention to annoying lunging kids. He was my jogging buddy and ran 50km a week but if life meant he didn't get a walk he was ok with that.

I would definitely be looking at getting an adult dog whose temperament is known. Getting it wrong in the very busy stage of life you are about to enter into could be very difficult.

I think it also depends on the temperament/activity level of the dog. A lesser energy border collie (I know it sounds impossible xD) may be good for a family - still of course very active but not going to be bouncing off the walls of your house in frustration. A good breeder should be able to match the right level energy dog to suit your family - since your kids are pretty young you'd want a fairly calm dog too, not one that would knock your children around. Early training is essential - you must lay proper boundaries for your BC before they find the loopholes in your plan ;)

Every dog isn't exactly the same - so I hope you find the perfect dog for you and your family!

Edited by Ninak

I think you should also consider a Koolie - Koolies are Australian working dogs but more people oriented than many other breeds and they are generally very good with children - I have two rescue Koolies in a suburban home and they adore my 4 and 7 year old granddaughters. If you go for a long coated one you can even get one like my Perry who looks like a border collie.

017-1.jpg